Traded Josh Bruce

Remove this Banner Ad

So pumped we got Bruce. Think he has all the tools to become a very solid KPD for us - size, height, athleticism and will get good tutelage from Fisher and Dempster. As well as being a defenders in a 'rebuilding' side will give him plenty of practice.

I remember hearing his kicking can be suspect but that is something that can be made serviceable over time.

Absolutely stoked.

Last year, we couldn't trade pick 24, 25 and a previous first round draft selection for one middle-of-the-road KPD.

This year we got two KPDs, each with heaps of upside, for picks 48 and 77. Cheers for being dicks West Coast :thumbsu:

Last year, we couldn't trade pick 24, 25 and a previous first round draft selection for one middle-of-the-road KPD.

This year we got two KPDs, each with heaps of upside, for picks 48 and 77. Cheers for being dicks West Coast :thumbsu:

And both will be better than M Brown!
Thank F**& that didn't go through eh.

All the best to Bruce at the Saints, by the sounds of things around here he'll have a KPD spot locked up.

Re: 41 or 48 - neither would be used by us in the draft anyway, reckon SOS did the Pelican a solid and waited for 41 to go to Brisbane in the Longer deal then took 48.

Swans might get stooged by the downgrade if we trade it for Lamb.

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2013-10-25/the-josh-bruce-story

Bruce was born in Canberra and spent much of his formative years rowing in the summer and playing AFL in the winter.

At 196 centimetres and 94 kilograms, Bruce is an athletic utility.

He was an integral part of the 2010 GWS TAC Cup team after representing NSW/ACT at the 2009 NAB Under 18 Championships the previous season.

The agile Bruce took more steps forward in 2010, booting 15 goals in the National Championships and was one of three bottom-aged players selected in the Under 18 All-Australian team.

After a year with Glenelg in the SANFL in 2011, Bruce became one of GWS’s earliest recruits.

With three AFL games under his belt – largely as a marking forward – Bruce continued to develop his game in 2013 and finished the season with 11 matches, bringing his career tally to 14.

He was a consistent and reliable performer for the Giants throughout the year, predominantly taking the opposition’s second or third tall forward as he learnt his craft in defence.

Thought he looked bl*&dy good in the clip on saints.com.au.​
Loved his aggression and his third man in jumping. Looks like he should be a 250 gamer who snags an All-Australian jumper or two.​

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tops off an incredible trade period. Well done to everyone involved.

Agreed. I saw a lot of Josh b as GWS games are live every week on the tele in Syd. He is very strong and one thing only glimpsed on his highlights is that he can go forward at a pinch. He is a good athlete, super competitive and brave in the air, doesn't fear contact at all and from what I remember was constantly putting his hand up to play on the best forwards every week but was behind Mohr. Longer for 25 was daylight robbery, getting Bruce for 48 - gee wiz, well done STFKC - the whole team - from the recruiters who rated him to the list managers and to Watters, credit where credit us due, whatever he said to convince all these young men to want to be with our great club must have been inspiring.

Oh...when.....the........Saints.................:D

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2013-10-25/longer-bruce-become-saints

Watters "Josh's progression over the last 18 months has been significant. At 196 and 96kg he has the size and athleticism to play a number of roles in the defensive half. With only 14 games of AFL experience, he's still a young, developing player but he is an excellent competitor and has a great attitude.”

Well done. Now you treat him well - he's been a favourite of mine since the 2011 NEAFL season (where, I might add, he played a lot up forward - and I think you'll find he's a member of that goal-with-his-first-kick-in-the-AFL club). At this stage, he's better by hand than foot over the shorter distances and definitely when under pressure, but has a raking left boot on him that can go long when needed. Fearlessly goes back with the flight to take a grab. Solid player with huge upside. Gonna miss him :(

I said it before and I'll say it again. The fact that Bruce comes from an elite rowing background shows that he is willing to put in hard yards and work a hell of a lot. Rowing is one sport where you have to put in 100% as soon as you get competitive. I have confidence that he'll be able to work through any on-field weaknesses.

LOL

So now we have Bruce,Lee in our team :rolleyes:
images

Agreed. I saw a lot of Josh b as GWS games are live every week on the tele in Syd. He is very strong and one thing only glimpsed on his highlights is that he can go forward at a pinch. He is a good athlete, super competitive and brave in the air, doesn't fear contact at all and from what I remember was constantly putting his hand up to play on the best forwards every week but was behind Mohr. Longer for 25 was daylight robbery, getting Bruce for 48 - gee wiz, well done STFKC - the whole team - from the recruiters who rated him to the list managers and to Watters, credit where credit us due, whatever he said to convince all these young men to want to be with our great club must have been inspiring.

Oh...when.....the........Saints.................:D

Can't help but agree, also saw of number of his games & was surprised how athletic he was..
Besides the athleticism, his timing in the air either for marking or spoiling is first class..
What isn't noted though, is that he was recruited from Glenelg at 18 as a forward..
His value will not be limited to defence, he could be the "swingman" every club craves..
The importance of a swingman can not be underestimated..
Adam Hunter literally won the WCE their flag in 06, when swung forward kicked a couple of great goals to get them over the line..
Bruce, Longer, Savage, Delaney & our 3 picks from the draft will be an excellent selling point this pre-season for lapsed members to re-join..

Exciting times ahead for our great club..:thumbsu:

that's all well and good But was he a Saints supporter

Remove this Banner Ad

Back