Bruce MacAvaney openly barracking for Hawthorn in commentary

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Victory,Napoli,Liverpool,Penguins
Guy is now a total flog and it's not just him it's the entire Channel 7 commentary.

It's disgusting the way they call games by 1) stating the bloody obvious e.g like "wow did you see that" or "I think the Dockers need a goal right now! Don't you?" 2) over enthusiasm e.g "jeez what a cleaver little kick by poppy" or "Cyril jeez how good was that" every time he touches the ball and 3) the worst most unprofessional thing they do is how they announce players nick names instead of there actual names. e.g hodgy, roughy, poopy, buddy, dusty, Joshy, Goodesy the list goes on and on.. So bloody irritating not only does it make them look like a joke but the game as well, imagine people from overseas watching? They'll think what the bloody hell is this crap!
You'll never hear commentary like that in say the EPL or American sports.

It's this stupid idea that the directors at seven think the commentary needs to be entertainment first, sports broadcastering second, it's that reality television mentality. What they fail to understand is the game is suppose to be the entertainment not the commentary.

It's a f@cking boys club over at channel 7 and I'm bloody sick of it!

Last edited:
Geelong was worth the praise. Everybody enjoyed them playing. Hawthorn are a good team, having a long run of success. But they're not as exciting as what Geelong were.

A lot of people were sick of them by 09 and happy they bombed out in 10 (but just as happy to see them return to beat Collingwood in 11).

Everyone just hates seeing the same team win all of the time - in tennis people got tired of Federer winning a lot, then Nadal, now the same thing is happening with Djokovic.

Isosceles

Cancelled
Jun 28, 2015
South Morang
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Packers, Bulls, Fulham
Guy is now a total flog and it's not just him it's the entire Channel 7 commentary.

It's disgusting the way they call games by 1) stating the bloody obvious e.g like "wow did you see that" or "I think the Dockers need a goal right now! Don't you?" 2) over enthusiasm e.g "jeez what a cleaver little kick by poppy" or "Cyril jeez how good was that" every time he touches the ball and 3) the worst most unprofessional thing they do is how they announce players nick names instead of there actual names. e.g hodgy, roughy, poopy, buddy, dusty, Joshy, Goodesy the list goes on and on.. So bloody irritating not only does it make them look like a joke but the game as well, imagine people from overseas watching? They'll think what the bloody hell is this crap!

It's this stupid idea that the directors at seven think the commentary needs to be entertainment first, sports broadcastering second, it's that reality television mentality. What they fail to understand is the game is suppose to be the entertainment not the commentary.

Whinge ******* whinge! You can't blame them for jizzing over such a great side

Jan 30, 2004
bentleigh
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
hawthorn
Throughout his long career Bruce has always gotten excited by the real stars of the competition. Lockett,Carey,Ablett, Jarman etc etc have all received the syrupy Bruce treatment. Hawthorn have more star players than their opponents and therefore capture more of his love than other teams. If he is still going 10 years you will be complaining about his love for whoever is the dominant team then.

hench

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Jun 20, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Feel sorry for West Coast fans. Team is getting pumped and have to put up with Bruce and Ling with their non stop crap.

Sep 2, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon

I don't mind commentators calling star players by their nicknames.

Bruce was the best back in the day now he's just meh.

Obi fella

Cancelled
May 12, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Williamstown
Bruce barracks for Melbourne I'm reasonably sure, though it's nice to see him adopt the Hawks as his alternative favs....And hey, who could blame him?....Internationally renowned, high-Quality commentator is Bruce.;)
I always thought he was a croweater that barracked for the Dons?

Sep 14, 2003
Williamstown
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
LA Angels, Maple Leafs
mcavaney_main_2-420x0.jpg

Feel sorry for West Coast fans. Team is getting pumped and have to put up with Bruce and Ling with their non stop crap.
ill never watch this years grand final for that reason alone. Ive rewatched the 2005 grand final even though it hurts, just to see which players stood up and which ones didnt. Thankfully this year I was at the grand final and didnt have to put up with Bruce and Ling frothing and the bell end over every good play Hawthorn did.

Nathan Patch

Debutant
Mar 16, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
LA Kings, Scorchers, Warriors
I thought I read Bruce was an Adelaide Crows fan somewhere.

I know he thinks Cyril's delicious but I think a few do. Bye now.....

Jun 9, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
Ive been reading this forum for about 3-4 years and tonight has moved me to sign up.

Some shocking posts from those who think one or two lucky calls mean the AFL is corrupt in Hawthorn's favour. I guess I said the same in 2009 when the umpires saw Geelong home, but that was far far worse than tonight :)

As an aside, I'm shocked by the Perth fans showing horrific racism towards Sam Mitchell tonight.
What about in the 2010 Draw? Towards the end with Goddards hanger, Collingwood kicked it out on the full and Sharrod Wellingham had it, threw it back but threw it straight up in the air, looked at Razor Ray put his hand up, went screaming over the mark and caught it then threw it back. Not once was this ever brought up anywhere, should've been 2 50m Penalties at the time. I encourage everyone to try and find the footage and look for yourself. Oh and let's not forget at the start of the 2009 GF Chrome Dome Ablett being chicken winged and then just placing the ball on the ground, Razor Ray again.

Back