Bruce Springsteen

Remove this Banner Ad

16066944599_afdd8d973e_b.jpg

So I had a crack at my top 100 Bruce and the E Street Band songs with a couple of Sessions Songs thrown in. I only compiled the list off what I had on my I pod so there may be a notable song missing. Anyway here it is.

1. Jungleland
2. Brilliant Disguise
3. Backstreets
4. Thunder Road
5. Atlantic City
6. Ghost Of Tom Joad
7. Growin Up
8. No Surrender
9. Shut Out The Lights
10. Racing In The Streets
11. Born To Run
12. My City of Ruins
13. This Hard Land
14. Tunnel Of Love
15. Lost In The Flood
16. Dead Man Walking
17. The Rising
18. Radio Nowhere
19. My Hometown
20. Youngstown
21. Darkness On The Edge Of Town
22. The River
23. Badlands
24. Empty Sky
25. Terry's Song
26. Blood Brothers
27. For You
28. Long Walk Home
29. Tenth Avenue Freeze Out
30. Meeting Across The River
31. Working On A Dream
32. Human Touch
33. I'm Goin Down
34. Out In The Street
35. Because The Night
36. War
37. Wild Billy's Circus Story
38. Lonesome Day
39. Better Days
40. The Promised Land
41. Death To My Hometown
42. Streets Of Fire
43. Sad Eyes
44. Something In The Night
45. Incident On 57th Street
46. Prove It All Night
47. Mary's Place
48. Cadillac Ranch
49. Magic
50. Shackled And Drawn
51. Streets Of Philadelphia
52. Your Missing
53. Born In The U.S.A
54. State Trooper
55. Glory Days
56. Spirit In The Night
57. Johnny 99
58. Downbound Train
59. Gypsy Biker
60. Across The Border
61. Rosalita
62. I'm On Fire
63. Blinded By The Light
64. Factory
65. Trapped
66. Working On The Highway
67. Bobby Jean
68. American Skin
69. Land Of Hope and Dreams
70. She's The One
71. Straight Time
72. Night
73. Nebraska
74. Does This Bus Stop At 82nd Street
75. Girls In Their Summer Clothes
76. Dancing In The Dark
77. Mary Queen Of Arkansas
78. Darlington County
79. Hungry Heart
80. Adam Raised A Cain
81. I'll Work for Your Love
82. Candy's Room
83. From Little Things( Big Things Grow)
84. Independence Day
85. American Land
86. Two Hearts( Are Better Than One)
87. Last To Die
88. Cover Me
89. Secret Garden
90. Pay Me My Money Down
91. Open All Night
92. It's Hard To Be A Saint In The City
93. 4th Of July
94. You'll Be Coming Down
95. Fire
96. You Can Look But You Better Not Touch
97. Old Dan Tucker
98. Balboa Park
99. Outlaw Pete
100. We Shall Overcome

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So I had a crack at my top 100 Bruce and the E Street Band songs with a couple of Sessions Songs thrown in. I only compiled the list off what I had on my I pod so there may be a notable song missing. Anyway here it is.

1. Jungleland
2. Brilliant Disguise
3. Backstreets
4. Thunder Road
5. Atlantic City
6. Ghost Of Tom Joad
7. Growin Up
8. No Surrender
9. Shut Out The Lights
10. Racing In The Streets
11. Born To Run
12. My City of Ruins
13. This Hard Land
14. Tunnel Of Love
15. Lost In The Flood
16. Dead Man Walking
17. The Rising
18. Radio Nowhere
19. My Hometown
20. Youngstown
21. Darkness On The Edge Of Town
22. The River
23. Badlands
24. Empty Sky
25. Terry's Song
26. Blood Brothers
27. For You
28. Long Walk Home
29. Tenth Avenue Freeze Out
30. Meeting Across The River
31. Working On A Dream
32. Human Touch
33. I'm Goin Down
34. Out In The Street
35. Because The Night
36. War
37. Wild Billy's Circus Story
38. Lonesome Day
39. Better Days
40. The Promised Land
41. Death To My Hometown
42. Streets Of Fire
43. Sad Eyes
44. Something In The Night
45. Incident On 57th Street
46. Prove It All Night
47. Mary's Place
48. Cadillac Ranch
49. Magic
50. Shackled And Drawn
51. Streets Of Philadelphia
52. Your Missing
53. Born In The U.S.A
54. State Trooper
55. Glory Days
56. Spirit In The Night
57. Johnny 99
58. Downbound Train
59. Gypsy Biker
60. Across The Border
61. Rosalita
62. I'm On Fire
63. Blinded By The Light
64. Factory
65. Trapped
66. Working On The Highway
67. Bobby Jean
68. American Skin
69. Land Of Hope and Dreams
70. She's The One
71. Straight Time
72. Night
73. Nebraska
74. Does This Bus Stop At 82nd Street
75. Girls In Their Summer Clothes
76. Dancing In The Dark
77. Mary Queen Of Arkansas
78. Darlington County
79. Hungry Heart
80. Adam Raised A Cain
81. I'll Work for Your Love
82. Candy's Room
83. From Little Things( Big Things Grow)
84. Independence Day
85. American Land
86. Two Hearts( Are Better Than One)
87. Last To Die
88. Cover Me
89. Secret Garden
90. Pay Me My Money Down
91. Open All Night
92. It's Hard To Be A Saint In The City
93. 4th Of July
94. You'll Be Coming Down
95. Fire
96. You Can Look But You Better Not Touch
97. Old Dan Tucker
98. Balboa Park
99. Outlaw Pete
100. We Shall Overcome

Tell me your thoughts on why you had 'Brilliant Disguise' at No 2?

One of my faves as well FWIW.

Very very close to my number one. Just love the lyrics and I have a live version that sounds incredible. Think Tunnel Of Love is very under rated on the whole.

Me too...I could unpack each line of the entire album and apply to my life at various times these past three decades.

Wish I had heard some of them live the past two years.

The video for Brilliant once made the Rolling Stone Top 50 (or something) best videos ever. Apparently he did this on one take from start to end...the camera work is awesome.

Me too...I could unpack each line of the entire album and apply to my life at various times these past three decades.

Wish I had heard some of them live the past two years.

The video for Brilliant once made the Rolling Stone Top 50 (or something) best videos ever. Apparently he did this on one take from start to end...the camera work is awesome.

I'm also a big, big fan of Tunnel of Love....it's vastly underrated.

I love this song so, so much....I would have been a blubbering mess if I had seen it live.

I've missed this thread...sorry for being away for so long.

Anyone else going to the Gaslight Anthem in a couple of weeks??

1995. It was 20 years ago now, and since then, Bruce has released seven studio albums, along with a few greatest hits albums etc and Live from NYC. What do people think is the best song that has been released in that period and why do you believe so? Not necessarily your favourite, but the best one is more of what I am seeking here. (I am not so big on D&D and Seeger Sessions admittedly so if there are glaring omissions - [obviously] feel free to add yours).

These are the ones that stand out for me, in chronological order.

Land of Hope & Dreams - One thing I found disappointing about the (re?) release of this on the Wrecking Ball album was that the arrangement was different. I found it to be inferior to the initial release. It felt poorer, it didn't grab me like the initial one did and it felt like Bruce was holding back. The drum machine used instead of an actual kit was a mistake IMO (particularly because we lose out on Max's solo which is really kickass). However the release from NYC however is a completely different kettle of fish. A real wall of sound, with a flourishing organ, a twangy Fender, a catchy banjo and Max's steady beat all make LOHAD what it is. Clarence's solo halfway through just shows that no matter, Bruce could make room for him, and still make it work and not seem out of place. It's a lovely solo. It's not over the top or too in your face, it sits well with the mood of the song. The message of the song is a great one. It's almost like the land is Utopian. Everyone is accepted; saints, sinners, losers, winners, whores, gamblers, lost souls. No matter what walk of life you're from, it's OK, nobody will judge you. It's a song that doesn't look awkward in a conversation like this, or if you spoke about Incident, or Racing in the Street, people wouldn't bat an eyelid if you mentioned this too. It's a song that is remarkable in every way.

The Rising - The lyrical imagery is absolutely superb, and the music is brilliant. When I close my eyes, I can picture the firemen climbing up the Twin Towers, with a ton of gear on their back, fighting through thick flames and smoke. The scenes of NYC that fateful morning "left the house this morning, bells are ringing filled the air... on the wheels of fire I come roaring down here." It's not only of the best songs he's written this century, but I think it's one of his best, period. As I mentioned earlier, the imagery he has managed to make the listener conjure up is masterful. It might be overplayed, but I still love it every time I hear it.

Into The Fire - Much like The Rising, I get the same sort of feeling. The song again puts a fireman at the centre of the story. Criminally underrated and even more underplayed unfortunately. There is a brilliant line hidden in the depths 'It was dark, too dark to see, you held me in the light you gave, you lay your hand on me and walked into the darkness of your smoky grave.' I find that to be an incredibly powerful lyric, but one that produces a strong image at the forefront of your mind. Quite repetitive for the most part, but the song instills belief, hope, strength, love faith, as it so often suggests.

Girls in Their Summer Clothes - Heard it said many times before that a lot consider this is finest song since the post Reunion era and one of his best. I don't find those calls out of place. While it may suffer from overproduction a little bit, it's bloody magnificent either way. Joyous sounding, the music and its arrangement is fantastic. The subtle strings in the background are a touch of brilliance, his voice sounds amazing and the way the song has been written creates this massive wall of sound. The bass sounds so full and welcoming during the intro without being intrusive at the same time. It's Bruce and the E-Street Band among their finest hours. Definitely my favourite song off Magic.

Long Walk Home - For me it's among the best songs on Magic. It's Bruce near his best. Took me a while to appreciate how good it actually was (thanks, Melbourne3). The song really peaks once it hits the second verse and the band have come in. Kinda reminds me of My Hometown a little bit.

Devil's Arcade - "You said heroes are needed, so heroes get made. Somebody made a bet and somebody paid." Best song on Magic for me. Intense, powerful, haunting, they're all words that spring to mind whenever I listen to this. The notes on the organ are perfect (particularly in the intro during the live version), and combined with Max's little flurries, and Bruce's guitar later on, they combine perfectly to form a song that is simply outstanding. The guitar to close out the song takes the song up another step and lets off an angry vibe. But once that ends, and it's just the sound of the drums that replicate a heartbeat. Again, he nails the imagery. Powerful. Poignant. Amazing.

Wrecking Ball - Wrecking Ball makes me feel like anything is possible, kinda like Born To Run. It gives me a tremendous amount of hope and optimism. It quite literally sends shivers down my spine and brings tears to my eyes. I am sure if I was from New Jersey, I'd be a blubbering mess. I am not sure why I rate this song so highly, maybe it's because of the way it makes me feel, but I still think it's one of his best of recent times. The best song off this album for me.

The Wall - Not one of my favourites, but it's hard not to admire such a wonderfully written song. And I think it deserves to be spoken about in a conversation like this. It's sad, but it's incredibly well written. Bruce has created an incredibly emotional song with minimum output for the most part. You can even see on stage that it gets to him, too. The trumpet that closes things off is the icing on the cake.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back