Bruce William McAvaney - The always updating Quotes Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The most recent thing I can add to my ever growing list of things I hate about Bruce, is the way he says 'back to player X' when player X was never involved to begin with...

"Seeellwooooodd.. to Eeeennnrrriiiiiiigghhttt.. to Guthriiiiieeee.. back to Baaaarrtteeeeelll"

2znzqzt.jpg

Bruce's cheerleading for Geelong last night, especially in the last quarter, was absolutely terrible.
Just call the bloody game without the slobbering man.

You know the answer, of course he will. He's 7's crown jewel, sadly
True. But he is clearly already being toned down in the AFL. Less games commentating, less post match work, and for what it's worth not being on Talking Footy.

I can see him still dong the horse stuff and unfortunately the tennis but maybe Football could change.

Not many people seem to care for his work. Will he be still at 7 next year ?

He'll have a job for life. He's a legend. Still a fan of his work, despite some of his recent weirdness....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He'll have a job for life. He's a legend. Still a fan of his work, despite some of his recent weirdness....
I think until about 3 years ago he was actually great at what he did. Now I'm not so sure. He's so far off the rails that only his reputation of being a career commentator has kept him in his job.

True. But he is clearly already being toned down in the AFL. Less games commentating, less post match work, and for what it's worth not being on Talking Footy.

I can see him still dong the horse stuff and unfortunately the tennis but maybe Football could change.

Get Darcy off that show and replace him with Bruce and I'll watch it.

Please tell me that I'm tired and I didn't just see Bruce say "Delicious" on an ad when handing a bag through the drive thru just then.

I think until about 3 years ago he was actually great at what he did. Now I'm not so sure. He's so far off the rails that only his reputation of being a career commentator has kept him in his job.

I'm sure he's just commentating how he's told. He's been so good for so long at what he does that it's impossible to drop off that quickly. He plays this "emotional commentator" role, it encourages people to be emotionally invested in the "spectacle" and have less of a footy brain.. and they all do it obviously, he is the ringleader.

I watched a replay they showed of the 2005 Australian Open tennis final. He was just the same back then.

Please tell me that I'm tired and I didn't just see Bruce say "Delicious" on an ad when handing a bag through the drive thru just then.
Finally saw that ad today, either that or we're both going crazy. Have to admit that i did find it funny

When 7 came back in 2007 after the last season of 2001 the difference was stark IMO. Dennis had become a shitty pseudo-comedian and Bruce seemed kooky and camp. Also the Ox was the worst special comments guy
He was a serious man in the 90s

This. If you ever want to remember just how good he was at capturing the moment way back when check this clip out...

Before he became all camp and s**t he was an amazing caller (and not only of football but arguably one of the greatest athletics callers of all time)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back