mic59

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 20, 2002
Alberton, the chosen land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Blyth Spartans, Dallas Cowboys
Angus Bruggemann has become yet another player to leave Port and has joined Sturt. Although initially indicating his intent to stay and training with Port this year.

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2014-12-08/bruggemann-departs-port-Adelaide

You can't really blame anyone for leaving with the financial constraints that the SANFL have put on Port and I wish him all the best at Sturt(except against us, of course). Bruggemann was manful in whatever position he played in, was sometimes used as an undersized ruck but his best was as a tall defender. Fortunately both positions have been filled with the players picked up in the draft.

That is disappointing news. We will struggle to have any depth outside of the AFL listed players which is obviously what the SANFL cretins want. I cannot see us in the SANFL GF next year unless we can attract some quality and experience into our 15 top up players. I am pretty pissed off at the fact that experienced SANFL players are jumping ship but I cannot say I blame them.

18 year olds picked up in the draft will not slip straight into the shoes of the likes of Rakiwasa and Bruggeman. It is not a question of ability but a question of experience at senior level.

Another example of the SANFL creating rules to thwart the PAFC which in turn effectively is 'cutting their nose off to spite their face': The PAFC doesn't make the SANFL GF and therefore the GF attendance barely reaches 25,000 despite free tickets being made available to all in sundry.
After over a century one would have thought the SANFL would have realised that a successful PAFC = a successful SANFL, but apparently not.

I'm grateful for his efforts this year. He improved markedly as the year went on and I would have liked at least one more year from him. But the Power listed players capable of playing ruck would have pushed him out eventually and it's probably a sensible decision. I wish him all the best.

^ sums it up, the influx of talls would have seen Bruggs pushed out of the league side. He's too good to be playing reserves. Thanks for such a strong year and good luck.

Ok so that article confirms what seemed like a rumour but actually a very unclear rule to those of us not involved directly with the club or the SANFL that the AFL listed players must be selected ahead of the top ups. I'm glad we're all clear on that now and won't be subjected to "bad treatment" accusations from w***er Port haters any more.

Edit: Obviously don't expect any AFL listed player to suit up for the Academy team. #Integrity

Ok so that article confirms what seemed like a rumour but actually a very unclear rule to those of us not involved directly with the club or the SANFL that the AFL listed players must be selected ahead of the top ups. I'm glad we're all clear on that now and won't be subjected to "bad treatment" accusations from ****** Port haters any more.

Edit: Obviously don't expect any AFL listed player to suit up for the Academy team. #Integrity

Somehow the contracted players were unaware of this rule until after the second semi final. According to a contracted player he explained that just before the semi final Hocking spoke to the group and the message was that he will select the best team and that contracted players will be selected before afl players if form dictates as such. I note that Sam Russell was not selected for the semi final but if he was fit to be selected then either the club ignored this rule or were caught unaware by it. Also the message I got from KT early in the year was that Hocking will not select afl listed players if he believes their form does not warrant selection and so he would have these players train under some kind of game simulated condition instead, whilst contracted players will be available to take their place, but I don't believe any form of this practice took place. Perhaps the fine print was missed or the sanfl didn't clarify it well enough?

I worry that in the long term more of the better players in this state and outside of the draft will shy away from signing a contract with us and being part of the Academy when they can't even dream of playing sanfl league for Port.

I'm grateful for his efforts this year. He improved markedly as the year went on and I would have liked at least one more year from him. But the Power listed players capable of playing ruck would have pushed him out eventually and it's probably a sensible decision. I wish him all the best.

^ sums it up, the influx of talls would have seen Bruggs pushed out of the league side. He's too good to be playing reserves. Thanks for such a strong year and good luck.

Yes agree, however he wouldn't be pushed out 'eventually' but under the rules it would be 'immediately'.

I worry that in the long term more of the better players in this state and outside of the draft will shy away from signing a contract with us and being part of the Academy when they can't even dream of playing sanfl league for Port.

Bingo and greater reason for there to be a national comp for all AFL teams remaining
squad players. The bean counters might say no but I go to Maggies games at Alberton and
elsewhere. Richmond Oval last year had 1500 there tops, of which
a few hundred were ours. Woodville Oval slightly more people but more of ours. Then there is
the Maggies home games that top out for showdowns @ around 5-6k. Not huge but better than
the crowds for SANFL games on average. As this is unlikely to happen then we must aim to
dominate the SANFL like we have for more than a hundred years.

... we must aim to
dominate the SANFL like we have for more than a hundred years.

Not sure how we will do that given the current rules. We cannot got to Victoria and recruit a Tim Evans, Bomber Clifford or Jeremy Clayton. We will always have a team of young guys and the only experience we are likely to have in the SANFL will come from one 'Leadership Player ' plus the AFL fringe. On top of that we can only pay 'top up players' a couple of hundred a game.

We know what we would like to do but the ground rules simply do not allow it.

You are right about the need for a National Reserves Competition. That is the only way we are ever going to get away from the eight SANFL Clubs dictating to us.

Much of my post was wishful thinking. Wiser heads than mine have wrestled
with this for sometime and in the circumstances PAFC have come up with a
different/better model than the crows. I will continue to go to Alberton and
barrack for my Maggies. Our crowd #'s there are regularly 2x and 3x more
than the other $ANFL crowds except for big games between say Bays v Norwood
and or Sturt. All other leagues around the country incl some AFL clubs are
proped up/subsidised in some way. A national reserves comp would be no
different but its relevance much greater than the $ANFL. Crowd #'s for our and the crows
reserves games would probably rival the current each round #'s the $ANFL now gets.
Would our #'s at Alberton grow if we were playing Hawthorn(Box Hill) instead of Centrals
or South or even Norwood? Same goes for the crows. Imagine their #'s v Collingwood etc,
not to mention the people coming for their non SA AFL teams' reserves.
As for the costs, well the players in AFL reserves teams are already being paid so crowd #'s whilst
modest would help offset costs. One last point. If I was visiting Melb and Port's reserve team
were playing there I'd go for sure and so would some of our interstate supporters.
Roll on the footy Alberton or AO I'm not fussy.

Not too surprising that a lot of other SANFL clubs have approached Port players in the off season.

Two injuries on the whole list prior to the GF, how are players in good form supposed to break into the 1st grade. Some of the blokes that have left love the club but have to leave for their own careers, really can't blame them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A sad,bad situation and I don't know the answer. Many have said the old Maggies are gone forever
losing zones and all. Me I'll still go to Alberton and certain other grounds for away games, change for good
or bad my devotion has not.
Its in my DNA. On top of that I see and mix with a lot of great people, most of them all but strangers
and it doesn't make any difference. We really are a family at Port :D.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back