Mega Thread Buckley coaching mega thread volume II

Remove this Banner Ad

Dont know how you gathered that from the interview. Bucks said we have had 7 (thats right 7) ACLs over the last 3 years. And mentioned a couple of times, its something we may have to change up.

He gave Robbo a sly little clip which was nice
I thought that he implied that department was doing a good job and he was only one year in a three year contract. Maybe my impression was wrong but that is how I received that that he was safe.

*** Not even close ***

Dank to Essendon, Melbourne tanking, Fevola to Brisbane, Folau to GWS, St Kilda being tardy about offering Lyon a contract extension ...

Our succession plan delivered us a Premiership ... Isn't that a good thing?

What could they have done differently?

Are you suggesting that we should have simply reneged on on the succession plan deal mid way through?

I don't doubt that they could have handled it better. Having Mick's DoC role undefined probably wasn't a good idea. Maybe getting in some support for Mick to help him come to terms with his future role might have helped (or maybe the club did this, don't know)

But then, if Mick had better come to terms with his DoC role, he might not have been so motivated in 2010 / 2011.

Remember, we only effectively won 2010 by one point (An extra point to St Kilda in GF1 and we would have had the same result as 2011).

If you go back and change anything about 2010 (including having Bucks as an assistant) - yeah, we might have won more convincingly, but we might have lost it also.

Seems like I had more support from your own! :)
... They take a premiership winning side and turn it into a complete mess .. And you defend them at every turn?

Malthouse was bitter for a reason .. Took a proven formula and replaced with an untested one .. And this is the flip side

Keep defending them ... It's 1990 all over again in my book, A side that should have achieved much more

Jerry, training them to the edge happens at every club. When you're looking for an explanation for the injuries, the word MAY is always going to pop up. Do Buckley's questions confirm what you've been saying for two years? No, not yet anyway.
Those who were saying that Buckley was training them too hard we're guessing at best. The reasons for the guess seemed to be based on Buckley's drive to train hard when he was a player and searching for reasons why we had suffered so many injuries. If you happen to be right and you had no inside knowledge, it's a fluke and no apology for you ( say that in Soup Nazi voice).

... They take a premiership winning side and turn it into a complete mess .. And you defend them at every turn?

Malthouse was bitter for a reason .. Took a proven formula and replaced with an untested one .. And this is the flip side

Keep defending them ... It's 1990 all over again in my book, A side that should have achieved much more

Really. With MM in charge after our last back to back grand finals in 2002/2003 we finished 13th & 15th the following two years. Didn't stop him returning to grand finals and winning a flag after a re build. He did what Bucks is doing- structuring our list for our next attempt at a flag.

We lost some senior players and injuries to a majority of the remaining ones have lead to this years result. This is not just bad luck and the club is looking into our fitness department both from an injury profile but also recovery.

Last edited:
The game has changed - sub rule/interchange etc.
Our game and training was based around bursts from our players e.g. Swanny and therefore our endurance levels were low.
The game style we had back then with the pressure etc allowed us to train for it and now that Sydney, (as an example) have the two-way, (up and back) running, something had to change.
Pendles said last year we had cheats in our side, they clearly weren't fit enough.
That's why the players were loaded up and will continue, (albeit it might be modified) to be loaded up.
The game has changed, our coach has changed and we're changing our training.
We were unlucky with all the knee injuries, but I'm hoping some learnings were had/gained from this year re soft tissue injuries.

Last edited:

What could Collingwood have done differently?

Ah, now we know you're trolling :)

Leigh Matthews stayed with Collingwood until the end of the 1995 season

I can re-phrase it to the best performed Collingwood home and away team ever, but I prefer premiership team because the bulk of the 2010 team backed up the following year. With the losses of Ball, Maxwell and likely Goldsack the players left from MM's last game just 3 years later are Reid, Cloke, Fasolo, Lumumba, Sidebottom, Pendles, Toovey and Blair. He's dismantled that 9-11 team that had a record of 58-16-2 and turned us into a bottom 8 team trending downwards. There's an element of natural attrition, but a number were squeezed out...
Yeah the team looked great until the mid point of 2011, then things started wobbling and by the end of the year we were no longer the dominant team...damn lucky to even make the GF in 2011.

Yes, we had a team that finished top4 from 09-12 and return of one flag is perhaps less than people hoped. Not many clubs are UP for more than 4 seasons.

If we do re-load and are back to finals in 2015, then an 11-11 season as our worst season whilst re-building the list with a horrific period of injuries would be a pretty good achievement IMO.

I was referring to Ball. That ones a pretty fluid one that everyone will have their opinions on I just think with the leadership void created over the last few years his professionalism on the training track was the underutilized element. I only expected him to give us 8-10 games next year, but that off field presence is now gone. Pendles aside who do we now have to take a youngster under their wing over a pre-season?..
How the feck was Ball going to take somebody under his wing if he was doing his own rehab for back surgery??

You would hope that guys like Steele, Harry, Beams would be driving the midfield and running groups.

Harry and Steele in particular as they are our best endurance runners, and I know Harry puts in massive pre-seasons, would be great if BenKen just followed Sidey all pre-season and Sweeper & Seed latch on to Harry, just as Swan followed Ben Johnson back in the day.

Last edited:
Our game and training was based around bursts from our players e.g. Swanny and therefore our endurance levels were low.
The game style we had back then with the pressure etc allowed us to train for it and now that Sydney, (as an example) have the two-way, (up and back) running, something had to change.
Pendles said last year we had cheats in our side, they clearly weren't fit enough.
That's why the players were loaded up and will continue, (albeit it might be modified) to be loaded up.
We were unlucky with all the knee injuries, but I'm hoping some learnings were had/gained from this year re soft tissue injuries.

He was referring to players sitting ahead of the contest, gambling on their team mates winning the ball. A common football vernacular. There was no reference to fitness.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If anyone wants to know more about the deception that Nathan Buckley is inflicting on us, then listen to the podcast on SEN from Saturday.

He has this incredible method of making sense of things when we all know that the real solution is just going back to Mick and putting the old systems in place. So the game is more about transition now etc etc....more running..etc etc...need for more fitness.....listen to all this crap. Yes it sounds like good sense but it's obviously not the truth. I suggest all supporters listen to this podcast because you come out the end of it thinking that Buckley has all the answers....and yet we know that isnt true. I still believe he should be sacked today but I cant think of one sound reason for doing it.

If anyone wants to know more about the deception that Nathan Buckley is inflicting on us, then listen to the podcast on SEN from Saturday.

He has this incredible method of making sense of things when we all know that the real solution is just going back to Mick and putting the old systems in place. So the game is more about transition now etc etc....more running..etc etc...need for more fitness.....listen to all this crap. Yes it sounds like good sense but it's obviously not the truth. I suggest all supporters listen to this podcast because you come out the end of it thinking that Buckley has all the answers....and yet we know that isnt true. I still believe he should be sacked today but I cant think of one sound reason for doing it.

Dull and boring Sunday - let's do a little trolling, to spark up the day

would I be trolling if I said Buckley is a fantastic coach? anyway...i'll get back to my nap

If you said that many will think you have rocks in your head.......................

Yesterday on SEN Kevin Bartlett was commenting on SEN about why Buckley hasnt faced more criticism from the media for our fall from grace. He believed because Eddie McGuire as President will back him no matter what so its not newsworthy.

I mean what F**K is going on here? Why should he get special treatment? Its a clear conflict where personal admiration gets in the way of making the right decisions or simply asking questions.

When asked if say a Matthew Knights would have been given the same leeway if in the same position it was a resounding NO!

rather than learnings, why not just heed some lessons…why invent a word to replace a word that already exists?

If you said that many will think you have rocks in your head.......................

Yesterday on SEN Kevin Bartlett was commenting on SEN about why Buckley hasnt faced more criticism from the media for our fall from grace. He believed because Eddie McGuire as President will back him no matter what so its not newsworthy.

I mean what F**K is going on here? Why should he get special treatment? Its a clear conflict where personal admiration gets in the way of making the right decisions or simply asking questions.

When asked if say a Matthew Knights would have been given the same leeway if in the same position it was a resounding NO!

The media are astute enough to see the extenuating circumstances that have plagued Buckley - they have reputations to protect so they would never go off half cocked.
Those bashing Hardwick and also doubting Bomber earlier in the year now look stupid.

So sorry mate you have no friends on this one - except of course that flog McClure.

!
He'd get criticism if he held onto the 2010 team and kept trying to top it up with ready mades. But the criticism can't be strong if he is regenerating the list because that's what the club needs.

I am so over all you experts who make such snide comments about Bucks can we just leave it for a moment and see how next year unfolds.

I love the word flog.....and on other news...there appears to be a trolling convention in town because a ton of people are stating controversial opinions forcefully...good luck to the trolling experts in their efforts to pick the real trolls from the pretend trolls...

Using KB (one of the biggest Collingwood haters in football) to suport your arguement is probably a mistake.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back