Mega Thread Buckley coaching mega thread volume II

Remove this Banner Ad

Beams didn't want to be part of the leadership group (Harsh by me on this but needed to step up and be a true leader under Bucks.).

Beams said at the start of the year that he didn't want to be part of the leadership group this year because he wanted to concentrate on getting back to playing at a high level of footy, after his injury interrupted season last year.

Not sure.

My hope is that if Bucks continues on the trajectory he's on, Ed will (hopefully) spend the next 2 years wooing Alistair Clarkson to pull off a Freo/Ross Lyon type poaching.

Sydney, Hawks and Freo all have the funds to retain senior coaches

I believe our club can only be coached by a season campaigner like a Mark Thompson to keep the egos in check

Thatsgold is 100% correct.....time will tell but a 4th year of regression should not be tolerated. We are NOT Melbourne etc

You are right we are not Melbourne. Like your want Melbourne sacks their coaches every few years and that works well doesn't it.

Unlike some I understand that our recent decline is the result of a range of factors, some within Buckley's control, some not. I believe the decline most probably would have occurred even if MM had stayed. Sacking Buckley now I believe would be more detrimental to the Club than any potential damage some people think will occur by him staying.

We will see what the crows have in mind. I would take Bomber Thompson.

I would take Bomber too but let's be realistic.
I was thinking more along the lines of Nathan Bassett who is coaching his own team in the SANFL or even Gary Ayres, who has been there and done it all. He'd make a great mentor for Bucks

No. I said the general point about insisting on only hiring senior coaches with proven records as senior coaches was very flawed. He responded with a comment about Sanderson specifically. He missed the point of my comment.

For arguments sake just to appease the sack Buckley brigade, we did just that and sacked Buck's tomorrow. In reality who do we get, they always talk about getting a proven ie premiership winning coach. Of which there are not many. Here they are.
Clarkson - not leaving the Hawks any time soon.
Roos - committed to the Dee's, had publicly stated will not coach after finishing there in 2 years
Malthouse - going backwards as a coach
Thompson - stated does not want a senior gig. Also I have a feeling he will not leave the Don's, he is a back up incase Hird is forced to stand down due to the drugs investigation. MT is a ready made short term replacement.
Chris Scott - see Clarkson.
Worsfold - not sure what he is up to now days maybe, someone should give him a call.

other option, Bucks has only been in the system 5 years, 2 as assistant and now 3 a head coach. Maybe he deserves a fair chance to properly develop his game style and approach. Premierships are hard to win we should not expect to win one every year let alone make finals. To think otherwise is just fantasy.

You are right we are not Melbourne. Like your want Melbourne sacks their coaches every few years and that works well doesn't it.

Unlike some I understand that our recent decline is the result of a range of factors, some within Buckley's control, some not. I believe the decline most probably would have occurred even if MM had stayed. Sacking Buckley now I believe would be more detrimental to the Club than any potential damage some people think will occur by him staying.
I agree that MM would have done no better as the list was waning and a calculated and measured replenishment similar to the way the Swans or Hawthorn operate would have been the correct way forward. Buckleys cosching is another matter and the body of work so far in areas like the forwards, kickins, selections, culture etc shows me that thus far the coaching is not an area of confidance.
Holding on to coaches that are not working is not a way forward. Are you suggesting Melbourne should have held onto Neeld? Or St kilda onto Watters or PT Adelaide onto Primus? Do you think things would have improved for thiose clubs? Holding on to a coach for the sake of false stability is nonsense

Bucks will feel for his good mate Sanderson, who took the Crows all the way to a preliminary final in his debut coaching year in 2012 – a match that Adelaide lost to Hawthorn by just five points. The Crows have failed to make the finals in the past two years. He finishes up with a 39-30 win-loss record as Adelaide coach and a 56.5 winning percentage.

I'd say that if we don't make the finals next year or maybe 8th then I'll be on the bandwagon for change.

I agree that MM would have done no better as the list was waning and a calculated and measured replenishment similar to the way the Swans or Hawthorn operate would have been the correct way forward. Buckleys cosching is another matter and the body of work so far in areas like the forwards, kickins, selections, culture etc shows me that thus far the coaching is not an area of confidance.
Holding on to coaches that are not working is not a way forward. Are you suggesting Melbourne should have held onto Neeld? Or St kilda onto Watters or PT Adelaide onto Primus? Do you think things would have improved for thiose clubs? Holding on to a coach for the sake of false stability is nonsense

I could throw up the Cats not sacking Bomber before 2007 as the alternative or Norths with Scott after missing the finals in recent years.

I am not advocating that we can never sack Buckley but I think at this point in time it would be a negative. The club has clearly set a course and they need to see it through.

But a team that draws one, wins one and then loses one is expected to keep on going and not drop away. Am I missing some logic here?
Put that down to a change in coaching department knucklehead.Its not hard to work that out.Unfortunately eddie treated the circumstance like a transition in ceo business.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Put that down to a change in coaching department knucklehead.Its not hard to work that out.Unfortunately eddie treated the circumstance like a transition in ceo business.

Rubbish moron. The game plan had been worked out and the list was not skilful or quick enough to compete. We would have gone backwards (or more to the point Hawks, Swans and others have gone past us) regardless of the coach. Our list is a long way short of the very best. Much of that has to do with decisions made in the last few years of MM's rule as we pushed for a flag.

Rubbish moron. The game plan had been worked out and the list was not skilful or quick enough to compete. We would have gone backwards (or more to the point Hawks, Swans and others have gone past us) regardless of the coach. Our list is a long way short of the very best. Much of that has to do with decisions made in the last few years of MM's rule as we pushed for a flag.
Absolutely correct, Bucks inherited a list with its core on the wane and not enough talent coming through in key areas. Got unlucky with a few such as Brad Dick who would have ripped it up in today's style.

As ClaytonM pointed out, Bomber Thomson barely survived 2006. What did Geelong do? They told him to focus on coaching gave him some help with McCarthy, Sanderson and Hinkley and we know the rest.
Similarly, Brad Scott's head was being called for by North supporters earlier this year.
I'm on record as being concerned about Buck's tactical skills - why not bring in people who can help him with these weaknesses. Review the coaching panel. We've already let Lappin go. What about Hart and Harvey? Do we we need to bring in ex-senior coaches who can help Bucks like Bomber with Hird, or Ratten at Hawthorn? maybe Ayres, or Buddha Hocking?

Melbourne was in diabolical trouble with Neeld and recognised that they needed a recognised messiah who could stabilise the club. Similarly, Primus was leading a club battling for survival. The analysis (including from Primus) was that he couldn't do anymore as a head coach.
Watters seemed to have issues with club management - but the Saints are a basket case and I still don't know if sacking him was the right move.

As ClaytonM pointed out, Bomber Thomson barely survived 2006. What did Geelong do? They told him to focus on coaching gave him some help with McCarthy, Sanderson and Hinkley and we know the rest.
Similarly, Brad Scott's head was being called for by North supporters earlier this year.
I'm on record as being concerned about Buck's tactical skills - why not bring in people who can help him with these weaknesses. Review the coaching panel. We've already let Lappin go. What about Hart and Harvey? Do we we need to bring in ex-senior coaches who can help Bucks like Bomber with Hird, or Ratten at Hawthorn? maybe Ayres, or Buddha Hocking?

Melbourne was in diabolical trouble with Neeld and recognised that they needed a recognised messiah who could stabilise the club. Similarly, Primus was leading a club battling for survival. The analysis (including from Primus) was that he couldn't do anymore as a head coach.
Watters seemed to have issues with club management - but the Saints are a basket case and I still don't know if sacking him was the right move.
Regarding your point about bringing in people to help with Buckley's perceived weaknesses. If after 3 years as head coach, Buckley still seems lacking in important coaching areas, surely the solution is to look for a new coach rather than assistant coaches to advise him in areas of perceived deficiency. Seems to me that after so long in the job a coach either has what it takes for success or doesn't. I thought Rodney Eades' strength was match day tactics and planning. If so, his advice either seems to have fallen on deaf ears or has not been sought by Buckley. Do we also get an assistant coach with good man management skills to help Buckley improve his relationship with players? We can go on and on plugging holes with assistants but at some stage we may find it easier to simply replace the head coach.

Regarding your point about bringing in people to help with Buckley's perceived weaknesses. If after 3 years as head coach, Buckley still seems lacking in important coaching areas, surely the solution is to look for a new coach rather than assistant coaches to advise him in areas of perceived deficiency. Seems to me that after so long in the job a coach either has what it takes for success or doesn't. I thought Rodney Eades' strength was match day tactics and planning. If so, his advice either seems to have fallen on deaf ears or has not been sought by Buckley. Do we also get an assistant coach with good man management skills to help Buckley improve his relationship with players? We can go on and on plugging holes with assistants but at some stage we may find it easier to simply replace the head coach.

Not really. Unless you are looking at a perfect coach. Brad Scott was regarded as a poor tactician after 4 years - eventually the penny dropped with some of the Kangas players. Clarkson took a few years to get going. Often its other factors other than coaching - eg the maturity of the playing list.
Sacking the coach after 3 years sounds like something St Kilda or Adelaide would do.

As for Eade, I don't know why the club moved him to his current role, as I agree that I thought he was brought in for his tactical nous.

But maybe the coach lacks the ability to do the job. Everything that I've seen suggests that that is the case.
Maybe, maybe not - which is why we are BF posters and not influential decision-makers at the club. The point is that neither you or I know what is happening in the inner sanctum. The lack of results could be due to his lack of ability...or not. There are other factors at play here I think.

So
Why has the players form who have been under mm gone backwards.Dont play as a team anymore nuff nuff.

For arguments sake just to appease the sack Buckley brigade, we did just that and sacked Buck's tomorrow. In reality who do we get, they always talk about getting a proven ie premiership winning coach. Of which there are not many. Here they are.
Clarkson - not leaving the Hawks any time soon.
Roos - committed to the Dee's, had publicly stated will not coach after finishing there in 2 years
Malthouse - going backwards as a coach
Thompson - stated does not want a senior gig. Also I have a feeling he will not leave the Don's, he is a back up incase Hird is forced to stand down due to the drugs investigation. MT is a ready made short term replacement.
Chris Scott - see Clarkson.
Worsfold - not sure what he is up to now days maybe, someone should give him a call.

other option, Bucks has only been in the system 5 years, 2 as assistant and now 3 a head coach. Maybe he deserves a fair chance to properly develop his game style and approach. Premierships are hard to win we should not expect to win one every year let alone make finals. To think otherwise is just fantasy.

I can't believe what I'm reading. Here you have a Collingwood supporter accepting mediocrity as a norm.

We should not expect to make the finals every year? That's our barometer now? Why the hell are you even a football supporter if losing is acceptable to you?

I sincerely hope this mentality hasn't permeated within Collingwood ranks and has become the mainstream thought among supporters, because if it has, we'll be joining the Melbourne ranks very soon where "not making the finals" becomes an acceptable achievement!

What a disgrace!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back