Mega Thread Buckley coaching mega thread volume II

Remove this Banner Ad

Serious question/discussion. Do you think Buckley will be the next Collingwood premiership coach?

I don't think he will, but that is not to say that a premiership won't eventuate after he is gone - due to the work that he has done.

This is my reasons:
  • After success (relative) in 2002 & 2003 we experienced the down years of 2004 & 2005.
  • During 2004 & 2005 we stocked up on talent.
  • However it was not until 2010 that we actually won a premiership.
  • We are running at about a 20 years between premierships, but let's say it takes about 5-6 years at a minimum from trough to peak to win a premiership.
  • While 2014 was bad, I think many would suggest that we are trending down (rather than up) and we haven't hit the bottom yet.
  • So, if we haven't hit bottom yet, it would mean that Buckley would have to be coach for nearly 10 years before the team is ready to compete.
Will the board and supporters have enough patience for the next 6-7 years before the team is in a position to win a premiership? I would suggest that they don't have that level of patience. Malthouse was different, he got an extension because of the deal with Buckley, but had that deal not been done, he wouldn't have been given those extra years and would have been out - and he was a 2 x premiership coach at the time!

The other factor that people aren't taking into consideration, is that Eddie won't be president forever. It's quite possible that Eddie will finish up soon and a new president (and board) decide to pull the pin.

I would have loved for the succession plan to have been a raging success - just to shove it up other clubs' supporters if anything - but I just don't see it happening now.
I personally believe that the so called trend will turn around in one of the next 2 seasons. I have a strong belief that this year and last were not a true reflection of the quality of our list and that even with a couple of relatively significant losses we are better than the second half of 2014 would seem to indicate. That said, luck can be a very fickle thing and if we can't turn around the injury crisis we've faced over the last 3 seasons then Bucks may well be the sacrificial lamb. Unfortunately that's just how footy works.

Yep I hate clubs who get a coach start a rebuild then fold 2 years into it not allowing that coach to see it through.

Any rebuild takes a min of 4 years to see results we realistically are in year 2.

Lol I didnt see Hawthorn make wholesale changes after their 2011 Prelim loss and 2012 GF loss. This rebuild is a result of incompetence in management from top to bottom. A rebuild was not required as we were the youngest premiership team in years. It has been a complete and utter disaster and the club is being used as a toy to fulfill one mans personal ambition who has the backing of the President and CEO due to personal admiration.

NOBODY imagined we would be where we are when Buckley took over. Make all the excuses you want but the fact is we are going backwards at a rate of knots. Players leaving and not wanting to come to the club is a sure sign something is not right.

I personally believe that the so called trend will turn around in one of the next 2 seasons. I have a strong belief that this year and last were not a true reflection of the quality of our list and that even with a couple of relatively significant losses we are better than the second half of 2014 would seem to indicate. That said, luck can be a very fickle thing and if we can't turn around the injury crisis we've faced over the last 3 seasons then Bucks may well be the sacrificial lamb. Unfortunately that's just how footy works.

Ok. So you think we are actually ahead of the curve? That is, we have already bottomed out and are already on the trend up, but things look worse than they really are.

The club said they moved on premiership players to replenish their list.
If the club is telling us there is now a full rebuild than the coach and his list manager have failed to do their replenishment correctly.
It will be hard for Gary Pert to sell a full rebuild to members.
He said at the start of the year Collingwood would be contending for a flag within 3 years.
You live by the sword, you die by the sword.

Ok. So you think we are actually ahead of the curve? That is, we have already bottomed out and are already on the trend up, but things look worse than they really are.
Not saying anything about any curve, only that I don't believe our final position this year was a fair indication of where our list is at and that I believe there could be a correction fairly quickly. Of course it's hard to know what the effect of losing Beams will be but I'm not a believer that one or two players makes such a big difference.

Lol I didnt see Hawthorn make wholesale changes after their 2011 Prelim loss and 2012 GF loss. This rebuild is a result of incompetence in management from top to bottom. A rebuild was not required as we were the youngest premiership team in years. It has been a complete and utter disaster and the club is being used as a toy to fulfill one mans personal ambition who has the backing of the President and CEO due to personal admiration.

NOBODY imagined we would be where we are when Buckley took over. Make all the excuses you want but the fact is we are going backwards at a rate of knots. Players leaving and not wanting to come to the club is a sure sign something is not right.

So help me understand this - You believe we could have contented for a flag under Bucks. So therefore please explain what "personal ambition' Buckley could possibly have that would require the dismantling of this list, in order to achieve a higher 'personal ambition" surpassing that of just being a Premiership coach.

Last edited:

So when Jimmy Clement or Paul Williams left that was a sign of a club in crisis? And when Johno Brown or Juddy didn't come we were in crisis then too? Who was coaching us then? I forget.

I want to ask all a serious question. Do you think we did a bradbury in 2010?

2007 - Geelong
2008 - Hawthorn
2009 - Geelong
2010 - Collingwood
2011 - Geelong
2012 - Sydney
2013 - Hawthorn
2014 - Hawthorn

So help me understand this - You believe we could have contented for a flag under Bucks. So therefore please explain what "personal ambition' Buckley could possibly have that would require the dismantling of this list, in order to achieve a higher 'personal ambition" surpassing that of just being a Premiership coach.

Buckley wants to do things 'his way' and so he can be recognised in his own right. If he won a premiership it would have always been seen as the list Malthouse built. Combine that with the fact he doesnt like certain personalities and characters then yes he has deliberately dismantled the list to fulfill his own ambition.

So when Jimmy Clement or Paul Williams left that was a sign of a club in crisis? And when Johno Brown or Juddy didn't come we were in crisis then too? Who was coaching us then? I forget.

Paul Williams left because he could not stand playing with Buckley. Players leaving because of him goes far beyond the last few years. Clement retired to pursue business interests and spend more time with family, not jump ship to another club.

Last edited:
I want to ask all a serious question. Do you think we did a bradbury in 2010?

2007 - Geelong
2008 - Hawthorn
2009 - Geelong
2010 - Collingwood
2011 - Geelong
2012 - Sydney
2013 - Hawthorn
2014 - Hawthorn

Not at all. We would have gone back to back if not for the stupid succession plan, the gambling issue and a couple of injuries. Steve Johnson couldnt walk in the days prior to the GF yet he played and booted 4-5 goals. Luck was not with us.

Paul Williams left because he could not stand playing with Buckley. Players leaving because of him goes far beyond the last few years. Clement retired to pursue business interests and spend more time with family, not jump ship to another club.

Graham Wright was invited to the Collingwood Forever night but refused to attend.
He personally blames Buckley for finishing off the 90' squad.
He even taunted Buckley in 1993 when he was at Brisbane as he knew he was coming.
Wright will have nothing to do with Collingwood as long as Buckley is involved.

Buckley wants to do things 'his way' and so he can be recognised in his own right. If he won a premiership it would have always been seen as the list Malthouse built. Combine that with the fact he doesnt like certain personalities and characters then yes he has deliberately dismantled the list to fulfill his own ambition.

If he won a flag even with MM's list he would have secured glory and long term tenure at the club - just like Scott at GEEL.

Sorry mate - you need a new theory, because having us believe Bucks has deliberately for gone a flag is ridiculous.
Try again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he won a flag even with MM's list he would have secured glory and long term tenure at the club - just like Scott at GEEL.

Sorry mate - you need a new theory, because having us believe Bucks has deliberately for gone a flag is ridiculous.
Try again.

Just like not having Malthouse in the coaches box if he stayed on as director of coaching right?

In 2012 Buckley wouldnt have dared make wholesale changes even if he wanted to. Whats happened after that is for you to see.

Graham Wright was invited to the Collingwood Forever night but refused to attend.
He even taunted Buckley in 1993 when he was at Brisbane as he knew he was coming.
Starevich or Lehman go? Guessing they be pissed off at Bucks. Not saying I didn't want Bucks to play for Collingwood though just curious.

What a load of s**t.

Just like not having Malthouse in the coaches box if he stayed on as director of coaching right?

In 2012 Buckley wouldnt have dared make wholesale changes even if he wanted to. Whats happened after that is for you to see.

I'm not interested in your attempted diversions.
Mate - if you actually believe Bucks has deliberately chosen not to win flag because others would think it was achieved with MM's list you are a fool.

I like how things have moved from 'we shouldn't have gone forward with the succession plan in 2011' to 'literally everyone hates Buckley. He broke up the 1990 squad, he made Paul Williams, Beams and Daisy leave and HE KILLED JESUS!'

He would have to go if that was the case.They (eddie and co) would have to come clean and say weve mucked this up and apologize.
I think Eddie will take longer being Bucks' mate. Business and friendship don't mix, it's even more reason to poach coaches from other clubs. Stop looking to get all the boys back. Lockyer Rocca Burns Bucks.

They rebuilt after 09 bottom 8 finish, they were on the way up in 11 /12.

Somewhere, right now....a small band of trolls are sitting together sfellowing at their own self importance wondering "How long can we string these Pies supporters along about Bucks and Mick"? These are the same people that took such joy in making a generation of Pies kids believe in the Colliwobbles and they will continue to orgasm about their own opinions and their ability to incite responses until all fair-minded pies people ignore them and deny them their release. They are addicts, we have to feel sorry for them, but its better to deny them now rather than to feed their addiction for attention.

Side by side Pies people.
We know who you are....trolls.

Can you provide authentication for this?

I'm not interested in your attempted diversions.
Mate - if you actually believe Bucks has deliberately chosen not to win flag because others would think it was achieved with MM's list you are a fool.

I never said he deliberately chose not to win mate. I can see on his face in the coaches box the frustration when we lose. By your reckoning all these changes were necessary but did you think that after 2011? I think not.

I never said he deliberately chose not to win mate. I can see on his face in the coaches box the frustration when we lose. By your reckoning all these changes were necessary but did you think that after 2011? I think not.

If this is a retraction then just say so - don't beat around the bush.
Just say you were wrong to imply Bucks was happy to forgo a flag because outsiders would think it was achieved with MM's list.

It's pretty simple mate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back