Roast Buddy umpires - is there anything we can do

If he lead more he would be more likely to get the frees he deserves. When Tippet is there, he leads a lot more
Hard to lead when you being tackled to the ground continuously.....

DavyRed

Club Legend
Nov 5, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
I think it's one of those things that depends on the person. It's only minor keyhole surgery and you can walk out of hospital. I had a huge amount of bruising, swelling and scar tissue after mine and didn't play sport for 6 weeks. When I did go back and play, it felt fine and then a couple of weeks later was a bit sore which is obviously what Tippo is experiencing. I don't necessarily think he came back too early. He might of had very little bruising and swelling and no doubt he looked after it better than I would of and had a more professional rehab program than I did. I have no doubt he'll play next week and be fine....unless he does something else!!
But this current issue could be unconnected with the surgery couldn't it? As I understand it, the surgery was to repair some damaged cartilage but his time out earlier in the season was due to tendonitis wasn't it? Perhaps it's the latter, rather than former, that led to him missing today's game?

dangle

Team Captain
Nov 17, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Carolina Panthers, OKC Thunder
But this current issue could be unconnected with the surgery couldn't it? As I understand it, the surgery was to repair some damaged cartilage but his time out earlier in the season was due to tendonitis wasn't it? Perhaps it's the latter, rather than former, that led to him missing today's game?

Possibly but I'm gonna go with what Marty Mattner said pre-match on local radio here in Perth. He just said he trained on Friday and woke up Saturday feeling a little bit sore on the knee that was operated on a few weeks back.

Leg End

Club Legend
Apr 8, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
No there is nothing we can do, Buddy needs to get on his bike and lead! that was probably one of the worst decisions of the season so far.

We tried it with Hall other clubs have tried it as well its a waste of time.

Disagree completely.
He is a draw card and should get the same protection that Lloyd, the Riewoldts got throughout their careers.
You don't just sit there and accept it - you use every means to highlight it, media, official complaints etc.
Umpires, by nature are self- serving show ponies and will soon learn that protecting Buddy is a good thing.

Look at how Kennedy gets his goals - usually on the lead and creating more space between himself and his opponent. If West Coast's abysmal midfield can manage to deliver him the ball well enough that the defender can't molest him, our midfield should be able to do the same with a faster and more athletic Franklin. Get him out of the wrestling contest and hit him on the lead in space, rather than whinging. Lots of forwards get held by defenders, if you switch off the bias you'll see Grundy do it multiple times each week too.

Look at how Kennedy gets his goals - usually on the lead and creating more space between himself and his opponent. If West Coast's abysmal midfield can manage to deliver him the ball well enough that the defender can't molest him, our midfield should be able to do the same with a faster and more athletic Franklin. Get him out of the wrestling contest and hit him on the lead in space, rather than whinging. Lots of forwards get held by defenders, if you switch off the bias you'll see Grundy do it multiple times each week too.

at one stage mackenzie was on top of him on the ground before the ball even came forward

bit hard to hit him on the lead if he is pinned to the ground

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
at one stage mackenzie was on top of him on the ground before the ball even came forward

bit hard to hit him on the lead if he is pinned to the ground

Yer not sure what on earth was going on there i remember someone kicked it inside our forward 50 the ball was in midflight and they were both still on the ground wrestling.

Conditions a factor as to why Buddy chose to wrestle rather than lead?

Jun 16, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
If they just paid the earliest one MacKenzie/Any other defender would stop scragging him so much. You let it go, you set a precedent

This, I think it's at the point where the anything goes against buddy has become common practice. It's at the stage where the umps are afraid to give buddy the kicks because they don't want to be seen favouring him.

It's absurd.would love to see a shitstorm of media scrutiny on the issue, but the fact it is it's buddy and the swans

Yer not sure what on earth was going on there i remember someone kicked it inside our forward 50 the ball was in midflight and they were both still on the ground wrestling.

Conditions a factor as to why Buddy chose to wrestle rather than lead?

I don't think Buddy was able to chose any path....

Apr 17, 2008
Swimmin with bow legged women
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Coney Island Warriors
All we can do is suck it up. Hawks fans will know all about it and now we do.
Spot on mate, for years he seemed to get crucified by the umps. His problem is that he does throw his weight around a bit too much, lots of sling tackles on opponents etc. The umps are a lot quicker in paying frees against hime than for.

Put a brown and gold guernsey back on him then you get protected
You idiot, 219 frees for; 387 against during his time at Hawthorn.

Spot on mate, for years he seemed to get crucified by the umps. His problem is that he does throw his weight around a bit too much, lots of sling tackles on opponents etc. The umps are a lot quicker in paying frees against hime than for.

You seem lost

Leg End

Club Legend
Apr 8, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Horse did a smart thing. He said umpires need more funding, resources e.g. to review more games more quickly and learn.

Reading between the lines, he said, in effect " we know you are showpony cheats and are defrauding Buddy and our team, and have been doing this for years. I know I can't say that openly - but i will subtlely make a point that Buddy is being scragged - it's now out in teh open. I have concealed this with advice as if i give a s**t about the umpires."

I think you will see the "media" - even the morons at News Corpse - gradually start exposing Buddy being manhandled unfairly. Like vampires, once you drag them out into the light, it's a whole new ballgame.

Leg End

Club Legend
Apr 8, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney

Les
I must confess - I did enjoy watching the Hawks in full flight in recent years, and Buddy did get a raw deal.
Same happens with Goodesy, BBBH - because, one-on-one, you can't match them - so you have to cheat to even things up.

On the other hand, you have guys like Matthew Lloyd and NRiewoldt who would be gifted 6 frees just for running thru the banner. Shits me to tears.

Back