Budget Emergency! Quick, train more priests!

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...t-funds-priests-training-20141205-120a3c.html

Taxpayers would subsidise the training of priests and other religious workers at private colleges for the first time under the Abbott government's proposed higher education reforms.

As well as deregulating university fees and cutting university funding by 20 per cent, the government's proposed higher education package extends federal funding to students at private universities, TAFES and associate degree programs.

Religious teaching, training and vocational institutes would be eligible for a share of $820 million in new Commonwealth funding over three years.

When will the Liberals understand: we don't want to have a university system like the US.

But I am probably being a bit mean.

It's not like they can afford to train their own paedos:

http://www.smh.com.au/world/cardina...away-in-vatican-accounts-20141204-120k3f.html

The Vatican's economy minister has said hundreds of millions of euros were found "tucked away" in accounts of various Holy See departments without having appeared in the city-state's balance sheets.

In an article for Britain's Catholic Herald Magazine to be published on Friday, Australian Cardinal George Pell wrote that the discovery meant overall Vatican finances were in better shape than previously believed.

When will the Libs understand that the forklift drivers of Western Sydney don't want a uni system. Wait, they do.
Yer but dont ask the forklift driver of western sydney to pay for it, if you want to go to Uni pay the costs imposed, dont ask the plebs to cough up for the degree.

Exactly, it's not like educated people contribute to the wellbeing of a society
Not saying that at all, but educated people also when they get their degree get paid very well in higher end jobs, so if you want a degree , PAY FOR IT YOURSELVES, dont ask other to.

It's amazing that the conservatives want people to pay for their University degree while constantly arguing for less progressive income tax. If those who go to University earn more on average then just implement progressive taxation and they'll well and truly pay back their uni fees over their career.

Not saying that at all, but educated people also when they get their degree get paid very well in higher end jobs, so if you want a degree , PAY FOR IT YOURSELVES, dont ask other to.
And when they get well paid, high end jobs they pay their taxes which is currently used to help pay for the next generation to attend university and have the opportunity to attain a well paid, high end job regardless of the financial background the person came from.

It's amazing that the conservatives want people to pay for their University degree while constantly arguing for less progressive income tax. If those who go to University earn more on average then just implement progressive taxation and they'll well and truly pay back their uni fees over their career.

My point precisely

When uni, it wasn't a free for all, it was actually much harder to get in" the problem we gave these days is people going to uni just because it's easy to get in, standards are lower because there's profit to be made. Not everything is easily quantifiable as "free education is a drain on the taxpayer". If the right people are going, we all benefit in spades instead of people just ending up here because mummy and daddy can afford it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And when they get well paid, high end jobs they pay their taxes which is currently used to help pay for the next generation to attend university and have the opportunity to attain a well paid, high end job regardless of the financial background the person came from.
Im sorry i dont want my taxes to go to paying for degrees for some twat who will end up in the inner suburbs wanking themself over some bottle of red they bought , i much prefer for my tax to go to health, defence, etc, but not some twat who wants to earn big money, pay for it yourself , or get a hecsloan and pay it off . Its not that hard to do.

Im sorry i dont want my taxes to go to paying for degrees for some twat who will end up in the inner suburbs wanking themself over some bottle of red they bought , i much prefer for my tax to go to health, defence, etc, but not some twat who wants to earn big money, pay for it yourself , or get a hecsloan and pay it off . Its not that hard to do.
I don't really want my taxes going to invading foreign countries either, but like you, I just have to learn to suck it up because that's just the way it works; our taxes are spent on things not all of us necessarily agree with.

Unfortunately you want the best qualified people to run Health, Defense & the other areas of Gument & Business operation. Not all 'the best people' have the finances to get the qualifications that they & the country need. The fact they may or may not be red wine loving 'twats' is neither here nor their. What they do out of work hours should be irrelevant.

In fact I would suggest that those 'Twats' you are concerned about probably had their degree paid for by daddys money.

The 'supported' kids probably had to work harder & will be better value for the nation.

Anyway, I'd be more concerned with the Gument spend on religious 'twats' going into schools than red wine drinking 'Twats' with degrees.

That's not completely true.

The social utility of education, far outweighs public cost.

No developed economy does not subsidise university

Generalise much? You believe all University educated people live in the Inner City and masturbate to bottles of red wine? And the sole purpose of attending University is to earn big money? Did you or do you plan to attend University yourself?

Pay for it yourself, that simple hey? Because everyone should be able to stump up $10,000+ minimum a year, not counting tuition, accommodation, texts and other expenses on a subsidised degree. Cut University funding and allow Unis to set their own fee structure and suddenly prestigious courses such as law and medicine at high quality Universities are out of reach of the poor and average income student. Unless they can land a scholarship, then no matter how talented or intelligent they are, they cannot afford to pay the tuition fees.

What you're saying that poor people should not be allowed a high quality tertiary education that the current subsidisation of education allows them. Sure, they can go to a substandard University and complete a cheaper course but you're effectively putting a further roadblock in the way of allowing them to improve their life.

I thought it was the left who were jealous of the achievements of others?

Exactly, it's not like educated people contribute to the wellbeing of a society

what's that got to do with training priests?
there job it is to discriminate?

Unwed mothers, gay kids, people getting abortions, following the wrong religion, not being religious, not being religious enough, believing in science, questioning religion and on and on it goes.

We have a separation of church and state for a reason you want to study religion take a history course.

You want to be a priest pay for it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back