Building a fortress - Carrara Stadium

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
SUNS wouldn't be too far off that either. Maybe 25-30%
26% but I get your point. Bit of a difference between a club full of kids getting belted in its infancy and an established team losing to the woeful Brisbane Bears.

17 May 1987 - Brisbane 22.12 (144) def. Richmond 15.19 (109)
12 June 1988 - Brisbane 23.13 (151) def. Richmond 15.13 (103)
31 March 1990 - Brisbane 19.19 (133) def. Richmond 10.14 (74)
26 May 1991 - Richmond 12.10 (82) def. Brisbane 10.15 (75)
4 Jul 2009 - Adelaide 15.12 (102) def. Richmond 13.7 (85)

Yes, most of these games were 10-15 years ago. Yes, Richmond has a completely different list to most of these games. BUT hoodoos seem to have a funny way of continuing in the AFL. Once you mentally buy into a hoodoo then you are fighting a huge uphill battle. Just look at how frightened Richmond fans were for the Cairns game in 2013.

Sep 30, 2010
Katherine, NT
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Tampa Bay Buccaneers, TB Lightning,
26% but I get your point. Bit of a difference between a club full of kids getting belted in its infancy and an established team losing to the woeful Brisbane Bears.

17 May 1987 - Brisbane 22.12 (144) def. Richmond 15.19 (109)
12 June 1988 - Brisbane 23.13 (151) def. Richmond 15.13 (103)
31 March 1990 - Brisbane 19.19 (133) def. Richmond 10.14 (74)
26 May 1991 - Richmond 12.10 (82) def. Brisbane 10.15 (75)
4 Jul 2009 - Adelaide 15.12 (102) def. Richmond 13.7 (85)

Yes, most of these games were 20-25 years ago. Yes, Richmond has a completely different list to most of these games. BUT hoodoos seem to have a funny way of continuing in the AFL. Once you mentally buy into a hoodoo then you are fighting a huge uphill battle. Just look at how frightened Richmond fans were for the Cairns game in 2013.

EFA haha

I don't think they will be buying into it. They broke the SUNS hoodoo last year, there look set to be more Tigers at the ground then SUNS fans and they are a side coming off finals for the first time in a while. They will be tough to beat.

Our only hope is if they don't play the conditions as well. It will be a slippery game

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Don't know why I put 10-15 years instead of 20-25 haha. Maybe I'm getting a bit carried away with previous results but you are right in saying it will be a slippery game. A mid-March fixture ensures humid and greasy conditions which the Tigers won't be acclimatised to after spending their entire pre-season in Victoria. I think the conditions will favour the Suns and perhaps even swing them into slight favouritism.

TheJaegerBomb

Cancelled
Aug 22, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Subiaco Lions, GS Warriors
Nah we will have Richmond. They will quiver in our wake.

TheJaegerBomb

Cancelled
Aug 22, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Regardless of that you can only have a hoodoo if you think about it... aha. That would not have crossed the Tigers minds for one millisecond.

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Regardless of that you can only have a hoodoo if you think about it... aha. That would not have crossed the Tigers minds for one millisecond.
Not yet but a victory for the Gold Coast in round 1 might start to get people thinking.

The Tigers have a considerably better record at the Gabba (50%). In fact, Carrara is by far the worst performed venue for the Tigers and that includes Kardinia Park and Subiaco.

Last edited:

TheJaegerBomb

Cancelled
Aug 22, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Not yet but a victory for the Gold Coast in round 1 might start to get people thinking.

The Tigers have a considerably better record at the Gabba (50%). In fact, Carrara is by far the worst performed venue for the Tigers and that includes Kardinia Park and Subiaco.

I didnt say I think we will lose... we will win.

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Still think Richmond will be the first team to crack the fortress SUNS? I like the Suns' chances a lot more after the game against Collingwood today.

Miss_SUNShine

Rookie
Feb 19, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
So much for the fortress, there was barely a Suns supporter insight other than a small group behind the goals :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
We won't win
Will you change your mind if Jackson is omitted?

So much for the fortress, there was barely a Suns supporter insight other than a small group behind the goals :(
To be fair, it was a practice game in the middle of the day on a Sunday in near 30 degree weather. I'm sure you'll see a lot more red in the crowd when round 1 rolls around.

Miss_SUNShine

Rookie
Feb 19, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast

To be fair, it was a practice game in the middle of the day on a Sunday in near 30 degree weather. I'm sure you'll see a lot more red in the crowd when round 1 rolls around.

Either way, we where still on the Gold Coast and not Smith St in Collingwood kinda a shame it didn't feel that way...

TheJaegerBomb

Cancelled
Aug 22, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Its on! You will make your sig "I will never doubt TheJaegerBombs immeasurable knowledge ever again nor will I doubt the might of the GC juggernaut"

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Either way, we where still on the Gold Coast and not Smith St in Collingwood kinda a shame it didn't feel that way...
I see where you're coming from. However, I would have thought there were more Collingwood fans in south east Queensland than Suns fans. A few Gold Coasters running around in the black and white these days too.

What did you think about the game? Are you excited for the season?

Sep 30, 2010
Katherine, NT
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Tampa Bay Buccaneers, TB Lightning,
Its on! You will make your sig "I will never doubt TheJaegerBombs immeasurable knowledge ever again nor will I doubt the might of the GC juggernaut"

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

"With my lack of knowledge towards AFL and my false optimism in my team of choice, It's surprising i'm not a Brisbane Lions supporter"

Miss_SUNShine

Rookie
Feb 19, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I can't complain about how they played today there was definitely a lot a positives to look forward to :)

Can't wait for the season to start up properly!

Jul 11, 2006
Chermside
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
See Below

Yeah, Not too happy that they wouldn't let us up the top for atleast a bit of shade, I was blending in with the seats by halftime, Not fun.

I could rant about stupid downhill skiing Collingwood supporters but ill save my energy.

May 10, 2004
The Mothership
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Pistons/Hammers/Sri Lanka/The Exers
Ignoring your poor grammar and spelling, no team in VFL/AFL history has been given similar concessions? The Brisbane Bears were given the first seven picks in the 1986 VFL draft when they were admitted into the competition. They were also granted exclusive access to Queensland players which allowed them to recruit the likes of Michael Voss, Marcus Ashcroft and Jason Akermanis. Not to mention cap concessions.

The Suns were given the first three picks in the 2010 AFL draft along with another five picks between picks 5-13. Surely the Bears' package of picks 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 is better than what the Suns were offered which was 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13. You might bring up Jaeger O'Meara or Jack Martin but those two were available to any club that was willing to trade with GWS. The Gold Coast just so happened to make the best offer for both of them. Poor effort from other clubs, really.

The Bears cap concessions and exclusive access to Queenslanders lasted through their entire existence (ten years) and continued for the Lions while the Suns exclusive access to Queenslanders lasted three years and the cap concessions will only last five seasons. I don't know about you, but it seems pretty comprehensive to me that the Bears were given better concessions than the Suns. Then you have Fremantle who were given the first 11 selections in the 1994 draft. Surely you can see that the Suns have actually set themselves up well rather than just being given too many concessions?

For the record, you say - "with all number one and 2 draft picks wicth no ever team in history has had in the afl". The Gold Coast only have two players that have gone number one and two in the AFL draft and those players are David Swallow and Harley Bennell. Both came from the same draft class.

No they weren't. Each club had to give them two uncontracted players, most of whom were crap/injured/retiring. The Bears were given very little when they joined the comp, and got very little support.

As for Carrara, it's already hard to win there, and I think this year you could win 70% of your games there.

Back