Opinion Building Nicely

Remove this Banner Ad

Backs: Steve Morris 185cm 83kg 57 games 25 years old David Astbury 195cm 96kg 37 games 23 years old Troy Chaplin 195cm 99kg 177 games 28 years old

Half Backs: Jake Batchelor 188cm 87kg 44 games 22 years old Alex Rance 194cm 96kg 99 games 24 years old Matthew Dea 186cm 87kg 31 games 22 years old

Centres: Brandon Ellis 181cm 81kg 57 games 21 years old Nick Vlastuin 187cm 86kg 30 games 20 years old Reece Conca 185cm 83kg 65 games 22 years old

Half Forwards: Dustin Martin 187cm 89kg 101 games 23 years old Jack Riewoldt 195cm 95kg 149 games 25 years old Brett Deledio 188cm 88kg 206 games 27 years old

Forwards: Shane Edwards 182cm 83kg 144 games 25 years old Tyrone Vickery 200cm 97kg 85 games 24 years old Matthew McDonough 180cm 84kg 8 games 20 years old

Rucks: Ivan Maric 200cm 102kg 124 games 28 years old Trent Cotchin 185cm 85kg 123 games 24 years old Anthony Miles 179cm 78kg 15 games 22 years old

Bench: Dylan Grimes 193cm 88kg 37 games 23 years old Ben Lennon 190cm 82kg 5 games 19 years old Daniel Jackson 188cm 91kg 143 games 28 years old Ricky Petterd 185cm 85kg 76 games 26 years old

Averages:
Games 82.4
Weight 88.4kg
Height 188.5cm
Age 23.6 years old

Now before everyone goes oh man it's too early for best 22 for 2015 threads, this is not what this is about. It's more about showing that despite the horrible season we're having results wise, there is the foundation of a very good side moving forward.

The group that I have as the back 7 is a very solid defensive unit. The difference between this group and the one that we have gone with in recent years is that Rance Astbury Morris Dea Batchelor & Grimes are all players who focus on ensuring their opponents are accounted for before looking at being attacking options. Therefore they are unlikely to be caught out on a turnover in the midfield like guys like Houli & Newman often are. Some might say where is the rebound from defence with run and carry. Well IMO Morris Rance & Chaplin can all provide that offensive play and with our midfielders starting to work hard back into the back line we will get help in that area.

Speaking of the midfield the group I have gone with in that area is again a very solid 2 way midfield, there might not be a lot of flash in that area, but the Swans have shown that you don't need a heap of flash to be one of the best midfield groups. The group that I have gone with does possess some quality disposal especially be foot and also has a fair amount of grunt when it comes to not only winning the ball but also doing the hard work when we don't have the ball. Cotchin Miles Vlastuin Ellis & Conca starting out with support from guys like Deledio Martin S.Edwards Lennon Jackson Petterd & McDonough gives us a nicely balanced set up.

Up forward I've gone with Jack at CHF, where we planned to play him this year and Vickery at FF. Jack has the smarts and ability up the ground to be very dangerous, he is going to drag the oppositions best defender away from the back line by leading up the ground and leave Vickery, who is decent on the lead, room to move into. With the 3rd tall role I've opted for a combination of Deledio & Lennon. Both are around the 190cm mark and are very good over head with thumping kicks on them. Having them alternate between the midfield and the 3rd tall role would really create some match up problems for the opposition. At the feet of Vickery I have McDonough & S.Edwards, both could be very handy in type defensive forward role who can also impact on the scoreboard and rotate through the middle. While Martin plays in a Bruest type of role, where he can cause havoc up forward and also give a chop out through the middle.

IMO if everyone in the side above was up and running next year we could very quickly find ourselves very much back in the mix for a finals spot. Now I realise that a lot of us, me included have said but we need some pace, well in that side there is some pace, not genuine speed, but there is some pace, but the more important thing IMO is that there is quality ball users who can move the ball quickly and accurately by hand and foot, and quick ball movement will always be better than quick players.

The other thing I hope we manage to do is adjust the make up of the list a little so that we can play the VFL side in the same sort of structure that the AFL side is playing with. If you look at the side I have posted below it is almost an identical structure, allowing for the delisting/retirements of the players we all believe should make way. From the side I have named we need 2 KPDs, one a gorilla type to eventually replace Chaplin and a more mobile Grimes/Rance type. Add to that 3 midfield/flanker types and I believe that the list would be well placed moving forward.

VFL Side

Backs: Cadeyn Williams 186cm 86kg 0 games 20 years old Ben Darrou 190cm 97kg 0 games 20 year old Gorilla Type KPD to replace Chaplin

Half Backs: Bachar Houli 180cm 86kg 106 games 26 years old Todd Elton 197cm 97kg 1 game 21 year old Bradley Helbig 185cm 85kg 16 games 22 years old

Centres: Shaun Grigg 190cm 85kg 119 games 26 years old Matt Thomas 186cm 87kg 97 games 27 years old Kamdyn McIntosh 192cm 87kg 0 games 20 years old

Half Forwards: Brett O’Hanlon 189cm 89kg 9 games 21 years old Ben Griffiths 200cm 104kg 29 games 22 years old Chris Knights 184cm 83kg 101 games 27 years old

Forwards: Sam Lloyd 182cm 84kg 5 games 24 years old Liam McBean 200cm 90kg 0 games 19 years old Nathan Gordon 188cm 86kg 7 games 24 years old

Rucks: Shaun Hampson 201cm 104kg 74 games 26 years old Matt Arnot 180cm 86kg 8 games 20 years old Nathan Foley 178cm 79kg 146 games 28 years old

Bench: Mobile 3rd tall KPD Midfield/Flanker Midfield/Flanker Midfield/Flanker

Again let me make this clear, this is not a best 22 for 2015 type of thread because none of us have any idea as to who is going to still be here and who is going to be added. Things may change drastically once the trade/draft periods happen and I'm sure that we'll have a best 22 for 2015 up the moment these periods have ended.

This is more about bringing a little bit of perspective/hope to the place after what has been a frustrating and dark 2014 season.

Backs: Steve Morris 185cm 83kg 57 games 25 years old David Astbury 195cm 96kg 37 games 23 years old Troy Chaplin 195cm 99kg 177 games 28 years old

Half Backs: Jake Batchelor 188cm 87kg 44 games 22 years old Alex Rance 194cm 96kg 99 games 24 years old Matthew Dea 186cm 87kg 31 games 22 years old

Centres: Brandon Ellis 181cm 81kg 57 games 21 years old Nick Vlastuin 187cm 86kg 30 games 20 years old Reece Conca 185cm 83kg 65 games 22 years old

Half Forwards: Dustin Martin 187cm 89kg 101 games 23 years old Jack Riewoldt 195cm 95kg 149 games 25 years old Brett Deledio 188cm 88kg 206 games 27 years old

Forwards: Shane Edwards 182cm 83kg 144 games 25 years old Tyrone Vickery 200cm 97kg 85 games 24 years old Matthew McDonough 180cm 84kg 8 games 20 years old

Rucks: Ivan Maric 200cm 102kg 124 games 28 years old Trent Cotchin 185cm 85kg 123 games 24 years old Anthony Miles 179cm 78kg 15 games 22 years old

Bench: Dylan Grimes 193cm 88kg 37 games 23 years old Ben Lennon 190cm 82kg 5 games 19 years old Daniel Jackson 188cm 91kg 143 games 28 years old Ricky Petterd 185cm 85kg 76 games 26 years old

Averages:
Games 82.4
Weight 88.4kg
Height 188.5cm
Age 23.6 years old

Now before everyone goes oh man it's too early for best 22 for 2015 threads, this is not what this is about. It's more about showing that despite the horrible season we're having results wise, there is the foundation of a very good side moving forward.

The group that I have as the back 7 is a very solid defensive unit. The difference between this group and the one that we have gone with in recent years is that Rance Astbury Morris Dea Batchelor & Grimes are all players who focus on ensuring their opponents are accounted for before looking at being attacking options. Therefore they are unlikely to be caught out on a turnover in the midfield like guys like Houli & Newman often are. Some might say where is the rebound from defence with run and carry. Well IMO Morris Rance & Chaplin can all provide that offensive play and with our midfielders starting to work hard back into the back line we will get help in that area.

Speaking of the midfield the group I have gone with in that area is again a very solid 2 way midfield, there might not be a lot of flash in that area, but the Swans have shown that you don't need a heap of flash to be one of the best midfield groups. The group that I have gone with does possess some quality disposal especially be foot and also has a fair amount of grunt when it comes to not only winning the ball but also doing the hard work when we don't have the ball. Cotchin Miles Vlastuin Ellis & Conca starting out with support from guys like Deledio Martin S.Edwards Lennon Jackson Petterd & McDonough gives us a nicely balanced set up.

Up forward I've gone with Jack at CHF, where we planned to play him this year and Vickery at FF. Jack has the smarts and ability up the ground to be very dangerous, he is going to drag the oppositions best defender away from the back line by leading up the ground and leave Vickery, who is decent on the lead, room to move into. With the 3rd tall role I've opted for a combination of Deledio & Lennon. Both are around the 190cm mark and are very good over head with thumping kicks on them. Having them alternate between the midfield and the 3rd tall role would really create some match up problems for the opposition. At the feet of Vickery I have McDonough & S.Edwards, both could be very handy in type defensive forward role who can also impact on the scoreboard and rotate through the middle. While Martin plays in a Bruest type of role, where he can cause havoc up forward and also give a chop out through the middle.

IMO if everyone in the side above was up and running next year we could very quickly find ourselves very much back in the mix for a finals spot. Now I realise that a lot of us, me included have said but we need some pace, well in that side there is some pace, not genuine speed, but there is some pace, but the more important thing IMO is that there is quality ball users who can move the ball quickly and accurately by hand and foot, and quick ball movement will always be better than quick players.

The other thing I hope we manage to do is adjust the make up of the list a little so that we can play the VFL side in the same sort of structure that the AFL side is playing with. If you look at the side I have posted below it is almost an identical structure, allowing for the delisting/retirements of the players we all believe should make way. From the side I have named we need 2 KPDs, one a gorilla type to eventually replace Chaplin and a more mobile Grimes/Rance type. Add to that 3 midfield/flanker types and I believe that the list would be well placed moving forward.

VFL Side

Backs: Cadeyn Williams 186cm 86kg 0 games 20 years old Ben Darrou 190cm 97kg 0 games 20 year old Gorilla Type KPD to replace Chaplin

Half Backs: Bachar Houli 180cm 86kg 106 games 26 years old Todd Elton 197cm 97kg 1 game 21 year old Bradley Helbig 185cm 85kg 16 games 22 years old

Centres: Shaun Grigg 190cm 85kg 119 games 26 years old Matt Thomas 186cm 87kg 97 games 27 years old Kamdyn McIntosh 192cm 87kg 0 games 20 years old

Half Forwards: Brett O’Hanlon 189cm 89kg 9 games 21 years old Ben Griffiths 200cm 104kg 29 games 22 years old Chris Knights 184cm 83kg 101 games 27 years old

Forwards: Sam Lloyd 182cm 84kg 5 games 24 years old Liam McBean 200cm 90kg 0 games 19 years old Nathan Gordon 188cm 86kg 7 games 24 years old

Rucks: Shaun Hampson 201cm 104kg 74 games 26 years old Matt Arnot 180cm 86kg 8 games 20 years old Nathan Foley 178cm 79kg 146 games 28 years old

Again let me make this clear, this is not a best 22 for 2015 type of thread because none of us have any idea as to who is going to still be here and who is going to be added. Things may change drastically once the trade/draft periods happen and I'm sure that we'll have a best 22 for 2015 up the moment these periods have ended.

This is more about bringing a little bit of perspective/hope to the place after what has been a frustrating and dark 2014 season.

We're much better then we were in previous decades in terms of players thats for sure.. In terms of culture and professionalism I still think we're far from a premiership. However, Looking forward to some consecutive finals appearances! Very little baby steps ;)

Imo you cant play Grimes with Astbury in the side, as we need more run so maybe replace him with a quick runner ie Pickett in this years draft?

What that list nicely shows is that we have a good array of talent and a reaonsalbe mix - except for real foot speed. But we also have a limited array of solid B grade AFL players at the moment. If 4-5 guys on the edge right now move into being consistent decent AFL players we have a very strong list. And over the nexy few years the depth should naturally increase significantly. It doesn't look like a premiership list. But add a good free agent/trade and good development and it could easily jump up.

To me the key things are to keep adding via the draft and working liek crazy to build players like Griff, Dea etc into being confident AFL players. If we cna grab an A grader then great, perfect time. If not, then just keep working at building the list.

What that list nicely shows is that we have a good array of talent and a reaonsalbe mix - except for real foot speed. But we also have a limited array of solid B grade AFL players at the moment. If 4-5 guys on the edge right now move into being consistent decent AFL players we have a very strong list. And over the nexy few years the depth should naturally increase significantly. It doesn't look like a premiership list. But add a good free agent/trade and good development and it could easily jump up.

To me the key things are to keep adding via the draft and working liek crazy to build players like Griff, Dea etc into being confident AFL players. If we cna grab an A grader then great, perfect time. If not, then just keep working at building the list.

we have too many players pushing from C to B grade players, and not pushing from B to A grade players

I'm in the glass half full basket as well. I think with some good list management over the pre-season we can push into the 8. As of the 9 teams outside the 8 (not counting GWS) I think we have the best list with the most upside. Some big decisions need to be made.

we have too many players pushing from C to B grade players, and not pushing from B to A grade players

Right now I reckon it's more important that the bottom end of our team is decent quality than getting one more A grader. It's what we already have in the 20-23 year old bracket that can step up that can turn us into a good solid team long term. Add some development and we can easily step up quite a lot.

If someone goes A grade then that is huge. But right now I don't see that A grader staring me in the face. Players like TV, Ellis etc have a lot of talent. But they need a fair bit to step up to A grade.
If we could get a Dal Santo type I reckon it could make a huge difference. But the free agents this year are fairly scarce. Maybe someone will shake free from GWS/GC. Lets see.

Averages:
Games 82.4
Weight 88.4kg
Height 188.5cm
Age 23.6 years old

VFL Side

Appreciate the effort in the post RT. People don't appreciate the time you took out of your day, and poster like you who post detailed and well thought out content.

Thanks mate

Averages:
Games 82.4
Weight 88.4kg
Height 188.5cm
Age 23.6 years old

VFL Side

Just need a coach ......

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Averages:
Games 82.4
Weight 88.4kg
Height 188.5cm
Age 23.6 years old

VFL Side

Way way to much time on your hands RT......well researched though.

Always thought Jack is a CHF, he's an excellent kick on the run (which is wasted at FF) but every time you see him time one of those leaps over 2 defenders to outmark them - you see why he's played where he is.

Can we re-rookie him? If not, I say promote him.... he'd compete and be handy back-up at the worst wouldn't he?
We can't rookie him, been in the system 3 years. He's either promoted or picked up elsewhere. I would suggest the decision is up to him more than the club.
With injuries to Rance... Astbury and Grimes out of the side he still didnt push for selection. Ive watched him a few times now I just dont see much upside.
Being a rookie you can't justify his ability by not being selected. Preseason selection is all about priority and need, right then there was no need. Unless there's a LTI he can't be selected. Which, like I said, is why we need to wait until the end of the year to see were the club and Darrou believe he is at.

We can't rookie him, been in the system 3 years. He's either promoted or picked up elsewhere. I would suggest the decision is up to him more than the club.

Being a rookie you can't justify his ability by not being selected. Preseason selection is all about priority and need, right then there was no need. Unless there's a LTI he can't be selected. Which, like I said, is why we need to wait until the end of the year to see were the club and Darrou believe he is at.

When King went into the LTI and we lost Astbury he could have got upgraded.... we still have a spot on the LTI if we want to use him now dont we?

When King went into the LTI and we lost Astbury he could have got upgraded.... we still have a spot on the LTI if we want to use him now dont we?
When King went onto the LTI Miles was upgraded once it was assessed that King would miss more than 8 weeks, King might come off the LTI which means we might need to use the Round 11 rookie elevation on Miles.

Astbury has no fixed return date yet, but the club website is reporting that he might be back playing before the end of the year, which means no LTI elevation.

When King went onto the LTI Miles was upgraded once it was assessed that King would miss more than 8 weeks, King might come off the LTI which means we might need to use the Round 11 rookie elevation on Miles.

Astbury has no fixed return date yet, but the club website is reporting that he might be back playing before the end of the year, which means no LTI elevation.

Seems stupid IMO... Season is shot. Put Astbury in LTI and open a spot for Darou,...... about as stupid as not putting Maric on the LTI at the start of the season .

Seems stupid IMO... Season is shot. Put Astbury in LTI and open a spot for Darou,...... about as stupid as not putting Maric on the LTI at the start of the season .
Stupid or not, that's the way it is and it's not going to change.

but its ok to question the stupidity isnt it? and the way it is our brain trust have us 5-10... and season shot.
Nothing wrong with questioning of course :)

But you're suggesting that he should have been elevated earlier, when the season wasn't shot, and now that he can't be elevated they're stupid. That's not a very logical argument is all I'm saying.

Also you're assuming he wants to be elevated, have you asked him? I haven't so I don't know. But that's why I'm also saying wait until seasons end to see what happens. If he doesn't get picked on the senior list, given his form, I would suggest it was his own decision.

Nothing wrong with questioning of course :)

But you're suggesting that he should have been elevated earlier, when the season wasn't shot, and now that he can't be elevated they're stupid. That's not a very logical argument is all I'm saying.

Also you're assuming he wants to be elevated, have you asked him? I haven't so I don't know. But that's why I'm also saying wait until seasons end to see what happens. If he doesn't get picked on the senior list, given his form, I would suggest it was his own decision.

????? never said he should be playing... I said it was stupid not opening a spot for him.... I was making the point that its stupid that we dont have the option if we need it. Just as stupid as having Miles sit out half the season whilst Maric didnt play until round 9....

... Are you seriously suggesting that Darou would ask not to be upgraded???? are you suggesting his from deserves a call up???

thats up there with one of the stupidest things of read on here....

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back