Building your own home

Remove this Banner Ad

So bizarre that some people have never lived in a house they've seen get built. But I guess that's the climate these days. I think the rareness and boldness of it is pretty ballsy though – and there's no shame in starting to build a house in shithole Victoria and trying to move on up into where you want to be.

Simonds and Metricon are definitely the 2 worst builders in our area through experience. Obviously it varies depending on who is running it and building for them in whatever area, but yeah, many horror stories from them. In my line of work we're continually going into new homes and their quality control is awful. That said, another big chain builder down here that is run by a quality local builder actually put out really great homes, so it's definitely situation dependent. My recommendation is to just go and talk to as many as possible and go with your gut and who is easiest to deal with. Biggest mistake is using price as your defining point imo. A good builder will always be reasonably flexible and willing to help you out where possible.

*If you want any fancy wiring or home theatre sort it out before you start building. Even if you just get the bare wires run before plaster goes in etc, DO IT FIRST. Even if you never use them in the end, it doesn't cost much to do and it's so much easier than trying to do so afterwards. Will save a lot of time and money in the long run.
*Similar to what MEB said you can never have enough power points anywhere in the house. Too many is definitely better than too few and you almost always find a place when the house is built where you'd need another one.
*Try and get an idea of which furniture you'll be wanting ahead of schedule. Make sure it'll firstly fit in the room and also that you'll physically be able to get it where you want it to go. Narrow doorways etc sometimes don't fit massive couches etc. Seems common sense but it happens more often than people would like to admit because it can be difficult to gauge size off a plan.
We're currently looking at Urban Edge. I deal with them a lot through my line of work and there seem to never be any problems. Still ages away, but they seem to fit the bill quite well. Reasonably priced for what they offer.

Agree with everything you said Sublime. I built through Carlisle Homes and couldn't be happier with the result. No horror stories i can report.
Carlisle are $$$$.

Do you mind asking how much you paid / what add ons you got/came with the house? Every house of theirs we've been have been nice, but seem so OTT.

So bizarre that some people have never lived in a house they've seen get built. But I guess that's the climate these days. I think the rareness and boldness of it is pretty ballsy though – and there's no shame in starting to build a house in shithole Victoria and trying to move on up into where you want to be.
I have no idea what you're getting at with this statement.

We're currently looking at Urban Edge. I deal with them a lot through my line of work and there seem to never be any problems. Still ages away, but they seem to fit the bill quite well. Reasonably priced for what they offer.

Carlisle are $$$$.

Do you mind asking how much you paid / what add ons you got/came with the house? Every house of theirs we've been have been nice, but seem so OTT.
Carlisle I thought were well priced and the house was what i was after. The add ons weren't too bad, but you could go standard all the way through. They were way in front of the Henleys and Simmonds. And there warranty department are amazing. Everything i asked for to get fixed was fixed.

+1 for avoiding Metricon. Have a few mates that went through them and they seem to have had all sorts of hassles.

As for advice, I would just say don't rush anything and plan everything well in advance before making important decisions. As alluded to earlier, things like moving or adding power points, data points etc are a pain in the arse (not to mention expensive) later on, so try to envision where you will need them beforehand. Another thing is storage space - the more the better, particularly if you plan on having kids in there. It may seem like there is plenty but cupboards and wardrobes fill up pretty quickly, especially once a few kids are added to the equation.

Our house was completed 2 months ago in the South East Suburbs. We went through Homebuyers Centre.

As others have mentioned try not to make too many changes as they will hit you up for more $$

We found the communication to be pretty good through them, we were away for 5 weeks on our Honeymoon overseas but they still kept us updated every week with how the build was going which was great.

Site supervisor was a good bloke, was always happy to answer calls and come out to show us through etc.

Only issues we have had is some of the finishings have been a bit sloppy. but im tipping this would happen with most houses when built?

Silent Alarm back in form dishing out his life lessons from the perspective of a 22 year old.
Cruyff14 from the perspective of a 21 year old I advise you to do your homework before starting.

So the last 3 seasons of The Block and this season's Reno Rumble.

Also hire Scott Cam as a host.

Powerpoints -- SO many, plus a bunch more

Wide stove top -- 900++

BIG oven

Downlights, lots on separate switches to manage how many on.

Check how much space between wall studs -- too far apart is nasty

Overhanging eaves for passive heating and cooling

think of all the wiring you may ever need and get installed as part of build

?in slab heating

check how many coats of paint. No use having to repaint in 3 years

Interior doors, nice and solid.

sound insulation in walls

think about how you live, what you do, what you like about where you have lived, what you have disliked. How do these fit with the plans and layout?

Burbank Homes -- personally I only heard bad stories, but here is a review site (http://www.productreview.com.au/p/burbank.html)

Powerpoints -- SO many, plus a bunch more

Wide stove top -- 900++

BIG oven

Downlights, lots on separate switches to manage how many on.

Check how much space between wall studs -- too far apart is nasty

Overhanging eaves for passive heating and cooling

think of all the wiring you may ever need and get installed as part of build

?in slab heating

check how many coats of paint. No use having to repaint in 3 years

Interior doors, nice and solid.

sound insulation in walls

think about how you live, what you do, what you like about where you have lived, what you have disliked. How do these fit with the plans and layout?

Burbank Homes -- personally I only heard bad stories, but here is a review site (http://www.productreview.com.au/p/burbank.html)
Yaaaas +1 for huge oven and stovetop. Our kitchen is amazing.
We also have a ludicrous amount of storage, its the best.

Agree with everything you said Sublime. I built through Carlisle Homes and couldn't be happier with the result. No horror stories i can report.

My sister chose Carlisle after researching reviews plus loving the display. They had much better reviews than other builders.

They've been in since September and couldn't be happier. It was a very smooth process no headaches at all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Built with Henley and didn't have many issues at all.

One of the main things that builders do is take advantage of the fact that most people want to get into their new house asap (lease ending or nowhere else to stay with). If that's not an issue you can hold off moving in until everything is 100% how you want it.

Every builder will have its horror stories and positive experiences. They will also all chage an arm and a leg for extras. We went through a seperate company for carpet, flooring and air conditioning. Saved us a ton of money.

Love our house, misses is very house proud so we've put a lot of money and effort into it, but it's most definetly worth it.

My sister chose Carlisle after researching reviews plus loving the display. They had much better reviews than other builders.

They've been in since September and couldn't be happier. It was a very smooth process no headaches at all.
I think i looked at over 50 display homes and many builders. There houses to me had a better flow and looked really well finished. I might have paid a little more than others but when you're building a home sometimes money isn't the determining factor.

HBF built our house before I came on the scene, I'm sure he'll have plenty to say on it. All I can say is make sure you have enough powerpoints in the bathroom :straining:

You'd hate the UK. They are illegal here.

They really seem afeared about that new fangled electricity stuff over there.

I think you can have a PowerPoint, but at least 3 metres from the water. Those roomy London flats really suit a rule like that.

I remember being there with warnings about not taking things like hair dryers into the bathroom -- BECAUSE YOU WILL DIE.

I found this http://www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk/guides-and-advice/around-the-home/bathroom-safety/

Oz rules a lot more lenient http://www.build.com.au/distance-between-water-and-power-points

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back