Building your own home

Remove this Banner Ad

When people say they are so proud of their new home isn't that the same as saying your so proud of the new car you bought? Unless you're designing it yourself I find it odd when people carry on like they were banging the nails in themselves.

When people say they are so proud of their new home isn't that the same as saying your so proud of the new car you bought? Unless you're designing it yourself I find it odd when people carry on like they were banging the nails in themselves.
So people can't be proud of the biggest purchase of their lives?

Yeah got a friend building in Officer, currently renting in Beaconsfield. 1.5 hour commute each way. I couldn't/wouldn't do it.

I Live in Pakenham work in Docklands and the commute isn't that bad. The 1.5 would be a door to door job.

If you compare it to catching a tram from some of the "outer inner" suburbs it's quite similar, plus you're guaranteed a seat on the way in :D

I Live in Pakenham work in Docklands and the commute isn't that bad. The 1.5 would be a door to door job.

If you compare it to catching a tram from some of the "outer inner" suburbs it's quite similar, plus you're guaranteed a seat on the way in :D

Yeah she is on St Kilda road and does the drive in and back daily. Not so bad I guess if you have an aux cable and a library of podcasts!

A home is more that bricks and mortar.

Yeah got a friend building in Officer, currently renting in Beaconsfield. 1.5 hour commute each way. I couldn't/wouldn't do it.
I work out that way so its not too much of a trip for me. But there is heaps of land so you might get it a bit cheaper.

Yeah she is on St Kilda road and does the drive in and back daily. Not so bad I guess if you have an aux cable and a library of podcasts!
I take my laptop and can normally get get through 3 tv shows a day which is great considering with an 8 and 6 year old I hardly ever get access to the tv at home

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also, has anybody used an independent builder, or just gone with a company etc?
Mine was built by a small company, so can't help too much there.

We do work for a few independent builders and in general their work is first class. You do pay for the extra attention to detail and workmanship, whether that extra $$$ is worth it to you is another question entirely i guess. I think they tend to treat the customers better because being a smaller name, they have to let their work and service speak for them, rather than having a big name like Metricon or whatever behind them. They always pay us quicker as well which is great, rather than waiting months from bigger builders.

Yeah, you've got no idea what you're talking about. A new car you buy off the shelf, you can resell it easily, it's not something that keeps you warm and your children safe, it's just a means of transportation. A house is a means of identifying who and what, and where, your most loved ones are, and where you congregate. Your home is where you check on your children every night as they sleep in their unique positions and angles, and with their individual keepsakes. It's where you celebrate birthdays and engagements, Christmas', it's where you get together to mourn losses, to watch sporting events, to see in the new year, and it's always with the people closest to you.

A car gets you from point A to point B.

Yeah, you've got no idea what you're talking about. A new car you buy off the shelf, you can resell it easily, it's not something that keeps you warm and your children safe, it's just a means of transportation. A house is a means of identifying who and what, and where, your most loved ones are, and where you congregate. Your home is where you check on your children every night as they sleep in their unique positions and angles, and with their individual keepsakes. It's where you celebrate birthdays and engagements, Christmas', it's where you get together to mourn losses, to watch sporting events, to see in the new year, and it's always with the people closest to you.

A car gets you from point A to point B.

So a car is easy to resell, doesn't keep you warm or your children safe? Ok :thumbsu:

Sounds like you spend too much time in your house, if you get out and see the world you'll probably realise it's not about which four walls you make memories in but who you're with and where (geographically) you are. Maybe when I become boring and retire to the 'burbs I'll change my mind but for me it's not that important.

I'm currently building my fifth house in about 8 years, all built by distinctive homes in South Australia . Happy to give advice if there's specific questions you have. If you know a lot of tradies take a look at doing an owner/builder as it could save you a lot of money rather than using a designated builder

I'm currently building my fifth house in about 8 years, all built by distinctive homes in South Australia . Happy to give advice if there's specific questions you have. If you know a lot of tradies take a look at doing an owner/builder as it could save you a lot of money rather than using a designated builder
Any experiences you can share, both positive and negative?

A slab and the occasional BBQ on a Friday,will always make us tradies work that little bit extra harder for you to achieve the level of quality you and your partner desire!.
Happy tradesman happy new home owner!.

Any experiences you can share, both positive and negative?
If you are buying off the plan then hopefully you can visit the exact display home, this way you can get a feel for the house and where you want light switches and power points. When your plan is drawn up make sure you draw to scale your furniture and place it on the plan as this helps with placement of power points and TV points. When comparing builders make sure you compare the extra inclusions, some might include a garage others don't . Negatives are the footing prices, they can be in excess of 40k from the building price, also removal f soil by the builder can be a lot more expensive than hiring someone else to do it.

So a car is easy to resell, doesn't keep you warm or your children safe? Ok :thumbsu:

Sounds like you spend too much time in your house, if you get out and see the world you'll probably realise it's not about which four walls you make memories in but who you're with and where (geographically) you are. Maybe when I become boring and retire to the 'burbs I'll change my mind but for me it's not that important.
o_O

????

:confused:

If you are buying off the plan then hopefully you can visit the exact display home, this way you can get a feel for the house and where you want light switches and power points. When your plan is drawn up make sure you draw to scale your furniture and place it on the plan as this helps with placement of power points and TV points. When comparing builders make sure you compare the extra inclusions, some might include a garage others don't . Negatives are the footing prices, they can be in excess of 40k from the building price, also removal f soil by the builder can be a lot more expensive than hiring someone else to do it.
Talking to Urban Edge the other day (and Burbank) they said they do not charge for rock removal.

I don't really know any builders, which is a shame.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back