Eastdog

Club Legend
Sep 24, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Manchester United
Ive done WO match day experiences so ill do modern day match day experiences. On match days during the footy season how do you get from home to the MCG or Etihad and back again and do you go to the pub or something before and after games. Is it a long trek there or are you very close.

Myself: I most of the time take the Belgrave/Lilydale train to Southern Cross and get off there and walk to the Etihad. If I get there early I usually mill around outside for a bit and then go in and get ready for the match. Go Dogs :)

I usually wake up from my standard two day bender at Top of the Town around midday or thereabouts. After snorting cocaine from a Swedish hookers tittays, I usually down a bottle of tequila, half a dozen Estrellas and hook into a 300 gram scotch fillet (rare with mushroom sauce). After that, Toby Mitchell picks me up on the corner of King and Flinders in a stretch hummer, drives me around the city for an hour or so while The Red Hot Chilli Peppers perform live in the back of the limo, before driving straight up the La Trobe street entrance and depositing me at Gate 7, just in time to see the boys crash through the banner! And then it's Carna Doggies time!!! :thumbsu:

I wake up, have a shower
text my female friends
head on the train to the ground or drive
eat food at the ground
take a poop
then leave

I usually wake up from my standard two day bender at Top of the Town around midday or thereabouts. After snorting cocaine from a Swedish hookers tittays, I usually down a bottle of tequila, half a dozen Estrellas and hook into a 300 gram scotch fillet (rare with mushroom sauce). After that, Toby Mitchell picks me up on the corner of King and Flinders in a stretch hummer, drives me around the city for an hour or so while The Red Hot Chilli Peppers perform live in the back of the limo, before driving straight up the La Trobe street entrance and depositing me at Gate 7, just in time to see the boys crash through the banner! And then it's Carna Doggies time!!! :thumbsu:
A little on the tame side for mine. Maybe for when I'm ready to retire.

Wake up
Decide what to wear
decide not to wear that
Dress in random clothes I have lying around
go to the game 2 hours early
speak to Jake Stringer about his set shot routine
be shocked when he curses a lot when he shanks it :p
enjoy the game

Man, you've mellowed out.

Train from Yarraville.

Drinks with family in Locker Room bar before game.

Drinks at Locker Room Bar/kick footy with the nephews at half time

Stay behind to cheer and sing song after game (rare) or leave immediately lamenting terrible performance and who played well/what needs to happen/what we would do (not so rare)

I wake up, turn on the TV and wait for the game to start.
Same.
Watch pre-game BS, curse when I see it's Derwayne commentating, eat up any video clips about any of our players eg for milestones etc.

Ban any co-watchers from bagging my team when they stuff up, I'll do that.

If we win
1. Feel great when we win, sing along with the song, watch post-game interviews, summaries. Read all footy sites, enjoy BF for a change ;)
Euphoria quickly subsides to fear of next game.

If we lose
2. Turn off TV in last 10 seconds when we're losing so I don't have to hear the other shitty song :mad:. Avoid media. Approach BF with caution.

my modern era match day experience
set alarm wake up in the dark, still not morning
check internet connection, turn on computer, make a pot of coffee X-large
log on livestreaming site, roll a spliff, wait reading papers on net, fan sites, blogs
rofl at BMac supporters when i get to BF
settle into office alone with 40inc wall mounted computer screen and the ball gets bounced
make breakfast for waking kids 1/2 time
second half begins, no one is the wiser
game over, picking through the rubble
bulldogs lose 3 times more than they win
wouldn't miss it for the world
my modern era match day experience

my first era match day experience
I was born at 22 Naismith St.
The WO was 2 blocks away
The gang used to play there during the weak, collecting can rings to flick at each other, strangers, objects
Game day was a real adventure in among the platform shoes and bell bottoms
play in the car park till the gates opened
once inside we all stood on cans
the smell of beer was everywhere
the result was not important
jumping the fence at siren time was
twilight ring wars followed, as the wind blew through empty terraces filled with garbage
as darkness approached so did frantic mothers screaming like texan truck drivers, carrying implements of torture
and it all ended by running home down Adelaide street dodging a flogging

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Typical Sunday here

Umpire footy in morning/early afternoon, rush to Etihad down either the Calder/Hume/Western Fwys depending where I was.

Park at Harbourtown and walk to the ground, I'm normally cramping/am stiff badly by then. Meet whoever is going to the game Dad, Missus, Brothers, Mates etc either outside or inside. Proceed to the top deck as I'm a GA member. Hope we win but don't expect to pending on our opponent.

Game finishes (normally a loss) walk back to car, takes twice as long to walk back as my calves/ankles would be like rocks. Listen to SEN/3AW talkback on way home, listen to all the whiners among one or two insightful types.

Might even elaborate more on some experiences....

GABBA: Given that I'm usually with the Old Man and occasionally a younger brother it's a walk to the ground from the city where we stay. Sometimes it's a plane down on the Saturday Afternoon (particularly if it's a Sunday Game, it's between 1 hour and 1:15 depending on type of aircraft. Virgin fly about 5-6 times a day, Qantas about 4-5 with 1 trip stopping at Gladstone), sometimes it's drive down which is a 7 hour trip stopping at Marmor (an hour away), Gin Gin (about 3 hours away) and Gympie (about 5 hours away) to keep the kids quiet. If we leave home about 6AM this generally means an arrival sometime around 2-4PM depending on traffic and roadworks. In theory you could get the Tilt Train from here which leaves about 7:10 and arrives about 2:40 with links to the shuttles/trains. In theory you could catch a Greyhound Bus but from experience use that as a last resort!

If there are no younger siblings this involves stopping at about 6 different pubs on the way which frustrate me as I just want to get to the ground. At least one pub (Criterion, in the city on George St) has a TAB so I could put on a few bets. Travel via Vulture Street and the Goodwill Bridge as opposed to the Story Bridge (although if you go that way it's easier to get into the Pineapple which IS the footy pub in town). If it's a night game take a bus home, although I make sure it's the right bus as there was one time where we ended up at Buranda rather than Brisbane City.

CARRARA: Tend to stay in Brisbane for travel purposes (cheaper to get the Airtrain for starters). Travel down on the train from the City to Nerang (about 70 mintues, you'll know when to get off as the Suns fans get on after Beenleigh), straight onto bus to ground. If on the GC earlier I probably would get off later at Robina and have lunch at the Town Centre rather than head to Broadbeach/Surfers.

SUBIACO: Lunch at either Northbridge (the drunken party goers are generally recovering elsewhere) or in the CBD. There's generally footy specific trains so you don't have to remember to get off at WEST LEEDERVILLE as opposed to Subiaco stations. Then pray to God you don't have a seat in the 3-tier stand unless you want to say "been there done that never again". Still better than the WACA experience where it was $50 cab ride from Airport to ground before play, sit in sun all day, then wonder back to city to get bus back to airport for 4 hour wait for the Red Eye.....

When I can get to see, it's normally in a Queensland pub somewhere. Get there, get bourbon, get someone who works there to find a remote, get person with remote to switch one of 5 tv's with the same rugby game on it to the footy, get another can of bourbon as it takes that long to get the channel changed, get settled.
Get optimistic, get disappointed. ....get optimistic. ...get disappointed. .get bourbon. ...get disappointed. ...hopeful....disappointed. .disbelief..get drink. ..disappointed. ..drink....shake head numerous times....drink......get person with remote to put rugby back on as I don't wanna hear that stupid song....drink...drink....leave as rugby commentators $... my eardrums more than other clubs team songs.

I take the Spruce Moose to Whitten Oval.
Spruce Moose.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back