Opinion Bulldogs board feedback thread - Have your say

How is the state of the Dogs board?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another thing I would like to see backis the game preview thread/banter thread before games if we could find someone to do them. Something that was good friendly fun enjoyed by us and opposition supporters :)

Think we need a VFL prefix so these threads stand out, and it opens up a bit more discussion about our teams development.

EDIT: Turns out there is one and I just didn't see it. :rainbow:

Last edited:

Can we get a sexy backdrop for the 'Dogs board like some of the other team boards have? I'm not sure I can go on much longer with the grey background. It's a serious problem. Won't somebody please think of the children?!

Can we get a sexy backdrop for the 'Dogs board like some of the other team boards have? I'm not sure I can go on much longer with the grey background. It's a serious problem. Won't somebody please think of the children?!
This.

Port have their jumper as their background, and you can't even see the teal and white vee.

Imagine what ours would look like, with those sweet, sweet hoops as the background to every discussion.

While dwelling in my sorrows I thought of a suggestion that may help those that want a little more constructive discussion post-match. I don't know if it would work and it may lead to other issues, but I wonder if leaving the match day thread open for a bit longer may help. Post match most people either want to gloat or have an explosive rant and I wonder if leaving those within the match day thread would help. The autopsy thread could be created, and the match day thread locked, later on in the day to allow some of it to cool down. That way the autopsy thread can be largely free of the type of emotional rant that some people wish to avoid. Another way to do it would be to create the autopsy thread at the same time as the match day thread and lock it, then open it a few hours after the game.

It's not a perfect solution but thought I'd share it.

While dwelling in my sorrows I thought of a suggestion that may help those that want a little more constructive discussion post-match. I don't know if it would work and it may lead to other issues, but I wonder if leaving the match day thread open for a bit longer may help. Post match most people either want to gloat or have an explosive rant and I wonder if leaving those within the match day thread would help. The autopsy thread could be created, and the match day thread locked, later on in the day to allow some of it to cool down. That way the autopsy thread can be largely free of the type of emotional rant that some people wish to avoid. Another way to do it would be to create the autopsy thread at the same time as the match day thread and lock it, then open it a few hours after the game.

It's not a perfect solution but thought I'd share it.
I like this idea as well, also as i dont usually read it till well after the game, often there are things said that i would like to respond to or discuss but can't as the thread is locked.

Just thinking maybe we could have an honour board stickied with:
-Poster of the year
-Pieman winner
-First goal kicker, margin, crowd winners
-Tipping winner
-SC & DT winners
-Could maybe start nominating for a post of the week/month next year and then vote for the winner at the end of each year

Bit of maintenance to do but also good to have some people on an honour board. Thoughts?

Creative idea Dannnnnnnnnn but ...

My recollection is the (mutual) provocation typically starts a couple of hours after the game, not normally in the first hour. So I'm not sure it'd work.

Also if people want to have their say in an enduring forum (especially if they are seeking responses) they will wait until the autopsy is open or find a different thread for their purposes, maybe even create their own. Can't blame them. What you're suggesting is not quite censorship but it's effectively applying the guillotine on debate while it's still fresh, which IMO runs contrary to the purpose of the board.

My view is that we sometimes need to take a deep breath and count to 10 - no, maybe 100 - before we hit the reply button. We need to allow some latitude to people while they are hot under the collar.

It's the stirrers and provocateurs that create the bigger problem. They can be found on both sides of debates.

A "disagree" button (as distinct from "dislike") could be a handy pressure-release valve. It offers a one click response without being sucked into a slanging match. For example a post with 17 "disagrees" and zero "likes" says a lot. The post is not necessarily wrong - it's just shown to be a small minority view and maybe we could leave it at that when constructive debate has failed.

Just thinking maybe we could have an honour board stickied with:
-Poster of the year
-Pieman winner
-First goal kicker, margin, crowd winners
-Tipping winner
-SC & DT winners
-Could maybe start nominating for a post of the week/month next year and then vote for the winner at the end of each year

Bit of maintenance to do but also good to have some people on an honour board. Thoughts?
I'm not keen on the idea of Poster of the Year/Month/etc as it risks subtly altering the spontaneous and unselfconscious nature of contributions to the board.
An honour board for competition winners I'm OK with and also maybe an award for funniest and/or most impressive graphic contribution (e.g. some of the stuff done by AI and BRG).

I love the humour, keep it up - #SaveBoomer

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but like others I have no interest in shitfights (except with opposition fans).
I would like to see a "disagree" button, I feel that if people could just disagree with a post it may lead to less arguments.

Cheers and Go Dogs

My recollection is the (mutual) provocation typically starts a couple of hours after the game, not normally in the first hour. So I'm not sure it'd work.

Also if people want to have their say in an enduring forum (especially if they are seeking responses) they will wait until the autopsy is open or find a different thread for their purposes, maybe even create their own. Can't blame them. What you're suggesting is not quite censorship but it's effectively applying the guillotine on debate while it's still fresh, which IMO runs contrary to the purpose of the board.

My view is that we sometimes need to take a deep breath and count to 10 - no, maybe 100 - before we hit the reply button. We need to allow some latitude to people while they are hot under the collar.

It's the stirrers and provocateurs that create the bigger problem. They can be found on both sides of debates.

A "disagree" button (as distinct from "dislike") could be a handy pressure-release valve. It offers a one click response without being sucked into a slanging match. For example a post with 17 "disagrees" and zero "likes" says a lot. The post is not necessarily wrong - it's just shown to be a small minority view and maybe we could leave it at that when constructive debate has failed.

Dogwatch, I've always thought you're the smartest bloke here :)

Sorry DW, I think we may be talking about different things as I tend to agree with most of what is written here. A few people have mentioned that they'd prefer the autopsy thread to focus more heavily on game analysis rather than the emotional rants that we typically see after a loss. What I'm suggesting isn't to separate the two sides of the argument and only allow one to post, nothing like that. Debate is fantastic and the best part of the autopsy threads. My suggestion is more to keep the emotion-driven, expletive-laden immediately post-game comments out of a thread where people seem to expect a bit more reasoned discussion. I don't see it as applying a guillotine or censorship at all, more just having a bit of a cool down period, allowing the match day thread to play host to some discussion, some ranting, and then opening up a bit more of a "game summary" thread afterwards.

That said though I don't have any particular issue with how the autopsy threads are; my suggestion was more to gauge how effective the people that see them as being a problem think it would be. I'm not particularly fussed either way; I think they work quite well.

I'm not keen on the idea of Poster of the Year/Month/etc as it risks subtly altering the spontaneous and unselfconscious nature of contributions to the board.
An honour board for competition winners I'm OK with and also maybe an award for funniest and/or most impressive graphic contribution (e.g. some of the stuff done by AI and BRG).
I know this will likely come across as quite a self-indulgent and biased comment given the PoTY badge accompanying this post but I quite like the premise of the PoTY award to be honest. Although I wasn't exactly in agreement with the outcome last year it was nice to see the people that do contribute a lot to this board - like BRG93 and yourself, for instance, get some acknowledgement and appreciation for their activity on the board. Without these sorts of people the board would be a much, much lesser environment than it is, and I quite enjoy the way the award allows us to show our appreciation as a community.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back