Bulldogs recruiting Zones

Remove this Banner Ad

JJHunter

Club Legend
Jan 15, 2008
Toorak
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-02-03/victorian-clubs-handed-afl-funding-for-academies

Next generation AFL club academies – Victorian clubs region allocation
Western Bulldogs
– Western Melbourne, Wimmera, Mallee, South West Victoria, Ballarat, (North Ballarat Rebels & Western Jets)

I really dont like the idea of these talent pools and academies Be interested in everyone elses thoughts.
I hate that there is a system that stops us from securing the best possibly talent at whatever pick we have.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-02-03/victorian-clubs-handed-afl-funding-for-academies

Next generation AFL club academies – Victorian clubs region allocation
Western Bulldogs
– Western Melbourne, Wimmera, Mallee, South West Victoria, Ballarat, (North Ballarat Rebels & Western Jets)

I really dont like the idea of these talent pools and academies Be interested in everyone elses thoughts.
I hate that there is a system that stops us from securing the best possibly talent at whatever pick we have.
It's a fighting fund against other sports, not a hit against the established drafting pool process as I understand it.

I like it.

I remember talking about zones last year and got called crazy
Crazzzy i tells you

This is a great move, designed to help develop both guys and girls.

At least the Mallee region (Swan Hill, Midura and surroundings) has produced some quality footballers in the past in Herb Henderson & Matty Croft. That's more than can be said of Wimmera which has only really produced one player of note in Adam Goodes.

Its all designed to
But isnt it only for 'multicultural' players? Western victoria is very white bread. Cant see us getting many players from it.
Its designed to help develop multicultural as well as other nationalities

What is their definition of 'multicultural'?

This would surely have to come under the category of being a first or second generation migrant. Anything more is highly spurious and would be subject to gaming.

With Indigenous players this is less difficult, assuming they can provide proof of Indigeneity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can see there being big benefits out of the whole city of Ballarat/North Ballarat association. Hopefully we can find some talent in our zone and develop it through the rebels system. I like the idea and if we can find some quality and have priority access to it I won't feel as annoyed at the expansion clubs doing it every year. Keeping in mind we should have multiple father son prospects coming through at the same time.

Would expect North will get sth tassie when Tas is distributed, which means they should lose jets, leaving us with them and Rebels.

Anyone of note will be identified and go through the usual TAC/state based junior teams. This is purely a grassroots brand extension to deter a 'minorities' from moving into other sports at a young age.

I remember talking about zones last year and got called crazy
Crazzzy i tells you

This is a great move, designed to help develop both guys and girls.

I can't speak for anyone else but I was referring to the draft being done purely from zones being crazy which it absolutely is. This is fine and can't see anyone having a real problem with it, just a development/ sport retention type thing.

At least the Mallee region (Swan Hill, Midura and surroundings) has produced some quality footballers in the past in Herb Henderson & Matty Croft. That's more than can be said of Wimmera which has only really produced one player of note in Adam Goodes.

Roger Merrett. Merve Neagle. Glen Hawker. Shane Hird. Adrian Hickmott.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back