Bulldogsnm1

All Australian
Aug 23, 2006
Altona
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
GWS
OK well here it is, my first attempt at a Phantom draft.
I watched a lot of TAC cup this year and of course the Nat Champs.

A couple of things that maybe worth pointing out.

I have strong belief this year is an opportunity to draft good quality Key position players for the future, there is also perhaps 4 or 5 outside runners who could become real key players for sides into the future.

I also believe that a number of the highly touted "mid fielders" are not midfielders at all. Particularly some of the Vic metro boys, whilst very good players they are more Jack Billings types who could become very good attacking defenders or high forwards.

There are much more extensive right ups on the boys so I have limited my comments to personal beliefs on how that might progress in 2015 or the needs of the clubs.

Don't be too harsh.

1. St.Kilda- Christian Petracca for/mid

Best player in the draft, has the build, confidence and attitude to play round 1. I see him playing a high forward role similar to his underage year in TAC, St Kilda will be hoping for him to hit the scoreboard fairly regularly and will look to give him a small % on ball time each game in 2015.

2. Melbourne- Angus Brayshaw mid

I think Melbourne will pick him no 2 as they continue to improve their midfield. Whilst many would feel Brayshaw will be ready to go Round 1, I urge Melbourne supporters to be patient. It will take time for him to adjust to the quicker tempo and unlike Petracca I am not confident he can readily adapt to a high forward role. Initially I see him being a bench player/sub and he will spend time in the VFL developing his game. Needs to attach himself to Daniel Cross and learn as much as possible from him.

3. Melbourne- Patrick McCartin KF

This is a tough one, Melbourne have so many gaps to fill it is difficult to figure their greatest priority. In an ideal world if there was a standout midfielder available I think they would go that way. However the safest call is to go best player available and although McCartin is similar in size and plays the same position as Hogan he is the next best available. He will take time to develop and whilst I expect Melbourne to give him some early game time, he will spend a good portion of the year in the VFL.

4. GWS- Peter Wright For/ruck

With Tom Boyd & Jonathan Giles leaving and with Paton injured it has made GWS’s decision a little easier. Wright has exceptional ability and mobility for a boy his size. GWS will look at him as a ruck/forward. They can afford to give him some time up forward in 2015 and let him pinch hit in the ruck. Longer term I am confident he can become an outstanding number one ruckman.

5. Collingwood- Jayden Laverde Wing/for

Whilst I am not convinced Laverde is the 5th best player in the draft, he has qualities that Collingwood desperately need. They have too many small midfielder/flanker types on their list and Laverde offers a point of difference. Similar to Petracca I believe he is ready to play Round 1 2015. He is a confident sort of guy and will not be overawed by playing in the big league. He can play a role up forward, as a wingman or even a swingman of the bench. He will pose headaches for opposition coaches as he can take the spectacular mark and kick the miraculous goal. His challenge is to get consistency into his game. Overtime he will be a valuable contributor for the Pies.

6. GWS- Jake Lever KD

This one is a no brainer for me, Lever proved in 2013 what an outstanding player he is, this year his level of dedication to overcoming the ACL is a credit to his determination. When analysing the GWS list they are stocked up on everything except key defenders and in Lever they have an outstanding key defender in the making. With a year out of the game GWS will have to be a little patient however depending on their position mid- year they would be keen to get some games into him in 2015.

7. GWS- Hugh Goddard KD

GWS remind me of the Gai Waterhouse stable, they get the prize yearlings each year, train them up and then see which ones are ready to go early. They have so many mid/flanker types they can afford to let a couple of the less developed/ready to go types disappear to other clubs for yet more early picks. As mentioned with Lever the one area really lacking is tall defenders. With Frost moving to Melbourne the reliance is heavily on Davis and Mohr. If there was an outstanding goal kicking midfielder available (Petracca) they would have picked him in an instance, however whilst there are likely to be a number of very good players amongst the next group of mids there are none which are likely to jump in front of their current crop in 2015. This means they play in the NEAFL and it is evident already good players will only play in that league for so long before looking to move. So in Goddard you have a point of difference, you know as a third tall defender he will do a good job defensively. However he could be much more than that, he could become a key half forward or an attacking running tall half back.

8. Gold Coast- Lachlan Weller Mid

Again this one is probably a no brainer, Weller has been under their nose all year, his form has been excellent, he is highly skilled, an excellent decision maker and kick, he is prepared to take the game on and importantly Gold Coast can take their time with him. Unlikely to play a great deal in 2015 he can develop physically and he has the great opportunity watch and learn each week from one G Ablett.

9. Collingwood- Darcy Moore (fwd)

Another one I can tick off as being correct. Moore was always going to Collingwood as their first pick. The good thing from Collingwood’s point of view is that they now can be satisfied they have value in the pick. If Moore was available to all he was definitely a top 10 pick. He is like the good looking chick you sit next to at school or work that seems extra friendly, there is a chance it could turn out to be something special you just can’t be sure. This is Moore, he just does enough special things, whether a high mark or a smart take under his knees that makes you think wow he could be exceptional. In going to Collingwood he has a great opportunity to reach his potential; their development program is second to none. Expect he will get limited senior experience in 2015

10. Geelong- Jarrod Pickett Wing/for

Firstly what does Wells know that makes him trade 13 & 35 for 10 & 47. There has to be a point of difference I am just not seeing. Geelong need players to fill a number of positions, their backline will shortly need a complete makeover and they need good young mids. To me it doesn’t make sense to drop 12 positions to jump 3 in an even first round. The only thing that would make sense is if they are in love with Pickett and had to jump WC to land him. So in Pickett you have explosive speed, someone willing to run and carry with good delivery and can hit the scoreboard. He is an ideal replacement for Christensen or Varcoe across the half forward line. The risk is the go home factor and that Pickett can go missing in games for long periods. I am really interested to see what Geelong do with this pick.

11. West Coast- Jarrod Garlett wing/for

Ok so West Coast having been thrown into panic need to re-evaluate. They certainly need outside speed so their options are limited, the obvious selection is Garlett however both Menadue & Cockatoo are legitimate options. The risk is if they go with the latter 2 would either be available at their 2nd pick? In the end they go with the local. Garlett has the outside speed WC craves. He has had a consistent season and shown a willingness to work hard in games. Likely to spend most of the year at local level however would expect to see him play a couple games at home latter in the year.

12. Richmond- Liam Duggan HBF/wing

No-one more interested in this pick than North Melbourne, Richmond want outside run and carry and Cockatoo would loom large. In the end they go with Duggan. Highly skilled left footer who is capable on his right side. Very young in comparison, Dec birthday, to some of the other mids Duggan can influence games whether in the middle, forward or as an attacking half back. Doesn’t provide the run and carry however does provide a very good linkup/kicking option. Wouldn’t surprise to see Duggan play a number of games in 2015 depending a little on how Chris Newman’s body holds up.

13. Fremantle- Sam Durdin KD

The moan from Adelaide can be heard all the way to the Gold Coast. But how can Ross and his boys choose anyone else. With McPharlin’s body failing him they desperately need key backs and in Durdin you have that key defender. Exciting talent who has played senior football in the SAFL. Terrific height and filling out nicely I would expect Durdin to play a third tall role in a number of senior games in 2015. Could be one of the best gets in the 2015 draft.

14. Adelaide- Nakia Cockatoo mid

Highly skilled, explosive NT player who played only once this year for a BOG in the “All Star” game. Also had a fantastic combine both in the running exercises and the kicking skills test. Adelaide would have struggled with this pick with Durdin already gone and the next best local picks could well be available at the second selection. With Dangerfield possibly looking around next year Cockatoo could give them the explosive run and carry they need. Provided his body is sound I would expect him to play a number of games in 2015.

15. Gold Coast- Caleb Marchback KD

Trying to analyse GC needs is quite difficult, they have plenty of mid field/flanker depth and they have the 3 big talls up forward. Ideally they would like another key defender and Marchback offers a very good option as a third tall. Very good in one on one contests he has sufficient body strength to battle with a young tall forward. Currently McKenzie often fills the third tall defender role at GC however I am sure occasionally they would like another shut down defender. Warnock often played a similar role in their early years. Marchbank will be given time to develop however may get games depending on injuries to other defenders.

16. North Melbourne- Connor Menadue util

In an ideal world North probably would have preferred to pick him at 25 however with the other outside runners gone I doubt they will risk waiting to 25. Menadue has a huge upside, 2.87 secs over 20 metres at the combine is quick enough, however it is when he breaks into the open spaces he is impossible to catch. Has exceptionally pace with ball in hand and makes very good decisions on delivery, kicks a lot of running goals. Still needs a lot of physical development, so 2015 is likely to be a development year. However he is a very good tackler and deceptively good mark to compliment his pace so not out of the question to play some games later next year.

17 Essendon- Corey Ellis wing

A local Keilor boy Ellis just does most things well, he is a nice left foot kick, a good mark and has excellent vision with ball in hand. Accumulates disposals and hands off rather than provides lots of run and carry. A very good reader of play he can often find space on the outside and normally delivers the ball to the best available option. Body being sound

18. Carlton – Connor Blakely

All Australian at this year’s National Championship Blakely offers Carlton a genuine inside midfielder capable of working the ball out to the likes of Gibbs & Murphy. Having played a number of games with Swan Districts seniors he showed all the attributes of a boy capable of making an immediate impact in 2015.

19. Sydney- Isaac Heeney (mid)

Another one I get right. Heeney is an exceptional talent who Melbourne would have picked at 3 given the opportunity; he finds the ball, uses it well and is good defensively he also won the medal in division 2 at the Nat. champs this year. As stated earlier I believe there are relatively few genuine A Grade midfielders in this year’s draft. Lots of good flankers, wingmen and high forwards. Well Heeney is a born midfielder pure and simple, in some ways it is a shame he will have to wait an opportunity at the Swans, with Mitchell also in the wings. That said there are still 3 or 4 spots in the Swans line up he could be brought into in 2015.

20. Essendon- Jordan De Goey HF/mid

Highly skilled forward/mid who consistently hits the scoreboard. Very good mark for his size I see him being able to play a role with Essendon in 2015. Like a number of the Vic metro mids this year he seems at his best as a high forward marking option. I do see De Goey improving his inside play as on a number occasions I have seen him read the ball well from his ruckman’s tap and drive the ball forward. He will find it difficult to break into the senior side in 2015 however given the opportunity he could well kick multiple goals on a given day.

21. St.Kilda- Tom Lamb Util

I think St Kilda will be very happy with the next 2 picks. Lamb has exceptional talent and is a grandson of a St Kilda premiership player Ian Cooper. He is capable of most things on a football field; he has a huge running tank, very good skills and can do the mercurial. There are knocks on him, however not all should be seen as negatives. For instance he has a short fuse, in the AFL this can be seen as a positive, normally it means the player is extremely competitive and hates being beaten. Coaches will harness that and make it a positive. The biggest issue I see with him is his game awareness is lacking and he doesn’t utilise his running ability in a game. Again in the AFL his running patterns will be shown to him and modified. I actually expect him to play early on in 2015 and by the end of 2015 be a good player with them. A similar pattern to Billings this year, although a completely different type of player.

22. St.Kilda- Reece Mckenzie KF

A key forward at number 22, there must be something wrong with him. That really depends on who you talk to. Positives are he has kicked large bags of goals in the TAC, he can run 2.88 secs for 20 metres, he is a very strong mark, and he is a very big boy.

Negatives he doesn’t have a natural understanding of the game, he needs to learn when and how to use that speed. He doesn’t have a big tank and his recovery, 2nd efforts aren’t good, and his opponents will run off him.

He has a champion to learn the art of forward play from and once in the AFL system his general fitness will certainly improve. He will be given game time in 2015.

Personally I think Richardson will be rubbing his hands together just waiting to get hold of these 2 boys. If they both come on as I expect them to do, along with Petracca and some of last year’s recruits they could turn around St Kilda a lot quicker than a lot of people think.

23. GWS- Paul Ahern fwd/mid

Highly skilled forward/mid who was Calder’s best player in this year’s TAC grand final. Very good mark and consistently kicks goals. A long kick and normally a good decision maker. He can improve his defensive side. Expect him to get his chance during 2015.

24. GWS- Jack Steele fwd/mid

NSW academy player pre selected by the GWS was not drafted last year as he was recovering from knee injury. All Australian at this year’s National championship another goal kicking mid fielder to add the GWS treasure chest.

25. North Melbourne- Oscar McDonald KD

North need key defenders so this is a toss-up between McDonald and Keitel, I have selected McDonald because he is a local, a little taller and stronger and for a defender he backs himself in a one on one contest and out of defence. This suits the Kangaroos perfectly, they like their defenders to be attacking and McDonald certainly does that.

26. Western Bulldogs- Damien Cavka wing/for

A running machine capable of a 16.7 beep result makes people raise eyebrows. However when that player actually uses that ability in a game of football you really take note. When playing high forward he never stops running, one side of the ground to another. A little like Gibson from North he can run his opponent ragged. With very clean hands and a good mark on the lead he is very dangerous. The knock on him is his kicking, which I believe is un-fair; he balances his kicking by making good decisions and not trying the impossible with his kicks. In 2015 he could play a run with role or play high forward. I see him developing quickly, clubs hopefully will have learnt the Gibson lesson, if you have someone who never stops running they are hard to stop racking up possessions.

27. Western Bulldogs- Tyler Keitel KD

The Bulldogs need key defenders and would certainly be looking a take one at either 26 or 27. With North going for McDonald, the WA key defender Keitel provides an excellent alternative. At 194cm he is 2 or 3cms short of the ideal key defender height however he has a hard edge to him and is very combative. He acquitted himself well in the Championships playing on the highly rated Vic forwards.

28. Carlton- Kyle Langford Util

At 190cm Langford has a number of attributes clubs are desperate for, he basically can play anywhere, from a lockdown position on opposition 3rd key forward, as a running wingman or as a 3rd marking option in the forward line. He is a lovely strong overhead mark, very good agility and speed. He is hard at it, a good tackler and could be a top 15 pick. The only knock I have on him is his decision making and kicking is very average. He will improve in both these areas as he settles into an AFL environment.

29. Gold Coast- Nathan Drummond mid

By the time 2015 season commences Drummond will be 20yrs old so he needs to be ready to play, his year in the TAC as an overage player and results at the Combine where he basically finished top 10 in all categories show he has the athleticism to compete. He comes with elite speed and endurance along with a body to mix it with men. I just see him fitting in nicely to a Gold Coast side where he can play a role from day one.

30. Collingwood- Dillon Viojo-Rainbow wing/HBF

A raking left foot kick Viojo-Rainbow is ideally suited to a wing or attacking half back role. He is strong overhead and has good physical strength to more than hold his own with small to medium size forwards. He is willing to take the game on and he backs his kicking skills to pin point passes up to 60 metres away. Occasionally he can over cook the kick but can also open up forward scoring opportunities that most couldn’t see let alone attempt. Although not the shape of Stuart Dew his kicking style is very similar.

31. Hawthorn- Alex Neal-Bullen mid

The South Australian is just the type of player Hawthorn look for, he is hard at it, knows how to find the ball in traffic, can distribute it well and has a tank to run all day. With Mitchell, Hodge and Lewis all getting older and Sewell retired spots will open up for on-ballers in the next year or two. 2015 will see him developing his skills at Box Hill and with the likes of Hartung and when he comes into the Hawthorn side you bet he will be ready to play.

32. West Coast- Clem Smith mid/fwd

Even as I write this I am unsure. He was all over the place at Nationals, in the WA win over Vic Country he was a major component in bringing them back into the game. Then in some other games really struggled. He has had a good consistent year in the WAFL and then goes to the combine as barely breaks 11 in the beep test. I can’t help thinking the combine was a bit of a holiday for him and one of the WA teams has already said they will take him.

33. Richmond- Brayden Maynard mid

A good size forward/mid who is an excellent mark and a consistent goal kicking option. He will offer Richmond another high forward option in 2015 and is similar to a number of the Vic metro boys in that he will take time to develop as a mid fielder.

34. Fremantle- Jack Cripps KF/Ruck

At 198cm the local WA boy is certainly worth taking a chance on. Takes a strong mark and will be given time to develop.

35. Adelaide- Harrison Wigg HBF

All Australian at this year’s Nat. Champs, Adelaide will look to develop him as a small defender and utilise his greatest assets his decision making under pressure and his disposal.

36. North Melbourne- Caleb Daniel

Anyone who watched him in those Champ games earlier in the year would be willing their club to take a chance on him. At 167cm he is tiny by AFL standards. However his decision making, understanding of the game and football ability is elite. Maybe pick 36 is a little early however North have Harvey to mentor him and in Daniel they could really have a gem.

37. Sydney- Matthew Hammelman KF

I know Buddy has 9 years to run on his contract however the Swans do need to look to the future, in Hammelman they have a 198cm developing key forward. Importantly he has natural instincts for a forward and his Championship games for Qld were quite good.

38. Sydney- Jack Hiscox util

Former middle distance runner he ran a record time of 9 min 18 secs for the 3000 metres at the National combine, picked up by Sydney under the NSW Academy F/s pick. Obviously has a big tank, it will be interesting to see how he develops.

39. Western Bulldogs- Jordan Cunico (mid)

I have seen a bit of Cunico and he has impressed me on each occasion. He runs tirelessly and more importantly gets to the right spots. Although more an outside runner he can get the ball in traffic and take a strong mark.

40. Melbourne- Touk Miller mid

The Vic Metro captain has had another very consistent year, he is an exceptionally skilled player who is very good in tight and also dangerous around goals. At 177cm he is not big and not overly quick. This year he only had limited time on the ball as he had to share time with a number of other good midfielders. In the games I saw he seemed to spend a lot of time on the bench so I am unsure whether he carried injuries during the year. In 2015 he could make an immediate impact to the Melbourne team, he is someone who you would have confidence in when he has the ball in his hands.

Last edited:

Couple of massive sliders in Ahern and Langford, any particular reason? Also saw outside types go very early, reasoning for that? I'd be reasonably happy with De Goey and Ellis, although I have my heart set on Cockatoo

Couple of massive sliders in Ahern and Langford, any particular reason? Also saw outside types go very early, reasoning for that? I'd be reasonably happy with De Goey and Ellis, although I have my heart set on Cockatoo

I think in today's AFL the outside running players can really do damage, provided they are prepared to work hard and be in and under when necessary, with so much congestion if you can consistently get it to the runners they break lines. However they must make good decision makers and have good disposal.

I don't think Ahern will be a first choice midfielder and his kicking style tends to be bomb it long as first option, that negates his ability to play as an attacking half back. I think he can kick goals at AFL level however it is a hard life trying to sustain a career a permanent high forward. He will have to work hard on his defensive side once in the AFL system.

Langford has all the attributes to be a high level player, however his decision making and disposal over the Nat Championships was poor. People at the Knights have said it was much better at TAC level. You are right he could go much higher.

Solid draft mate and some interesting write ups also. As a Doggies fan I'd be happy with those selections, a bit of pace and a key back... sounds good to me!

I think in today's AFL the outside running players can really do damage, provided they are prepared to work hard and be in and under when necessary, with so much congestion if you can consistently get it to the runners they break lines. However they must make good decision makers and have good disposal.

I don't think Ahern will be a first choice midfielder and his kicking style tends to be bomb it long as first option, that negates his ability to play as an attacking half back. I think he can kick goals at AFL level however it is a hard life trying to sustain a career a permanent high forward. He will have to work hard on his defensive side once in the AFL system.

Langford has all the attributes to be a high level player, however his decision making and disposal over the Nat Championships was poor. People at the Knights have said it was much better at TAC level. You are right he could go much higher.
Firstly I think anyone who has a go and does a "personal" right up. I take my hat off- well done. Just jumping on the langford thread, it might be worth having a look at his concise decision making on his AFL draft video
I think overall it's very sound, I see he came second in the combine kicking, and he's basically 30 days out of being able to play under 18,s next year.Possibly the best marking hands coming into this draft!- so I tend to thing he's mid to late 1st round

Next, say a Tom Lamb will never knock him or Goddard, but they had average years along with plenty of others balanced against their reputations . Lamb loses his cool, and is lazy, but I put that down to a maturity. Where you have him I think is fair. Goddard I still think it's popular to have him early, but for me, there's a lot more going for players like De Goey and Ahern, who can influence a game as Langford does rather than participants, which is the way I view Goddard and Durdin from their performances this year

Last edited:
I really like the thought process for the early picks in particular. I don't know much about Alex Neal-Bullen but he seems the type of player I'm hoping the Hawks will target with 31. Good effort.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Every club will have spoken to. 90% of the players.

That's true to a point, most Combine Players would have been contacted by clubs, there is a standard form clubs ask players to complete. In all likelihood the players would have had at least one interview with a number of clubs.

When the clubs come back for a second or third interview and starting ringing schools for referees then you know the player is at least on the clubs radar.

Having said that, a couple of years ago a player was interviewed after being drafted and was asked how many clubs spoke to him. His answer was every club except the one that drafted him. Sometimes you just can't tell.

If a club meets with a player and his family late in the play, it's a good indication he is in the club's sights.
Last year Carlton travelled to Cripps and his family in WA.
My understanding is WC are right into Pickett.
They are also a big fan of De Goey, their recruiter visited him and his family during the draft combine.

West Coast have spoken to Cockatoo a number of times, if Pickett is gone, its likely we will grab Cockatoo.

I had a guy in my phantom thread say they have spoken to de goey is that true ? My thread is harro92 phantom draft to see where the guy said it

I had a guy in my phantom thread say they have spoken to de goey is that true ? My thread is harro92 phantom draft to see where the guy said it

It's not been discussed on the Eagles board and there was no source of the quote, so I'd take it with a grain of salt.

If a club meets with a player and his family late in the play, it's a good indication he is in the club's sights.
Last year Carlton travelled to Cripps and his family in WA.
My understanding is WC are right into Pickett.
They are also a big fan of De Goey, their recruiter visited him and his family during the draft combine.

It is worth noting no AFL, from this weekend, can contact any draftee doing their year 12 exams.

No thanks.
From my in-depth analysis based on other people's opinions of him I just don't see anything that screams elite and I highly doubt he'll improve into the superstar midfielder we need him to be, and I am sometimes right about random things that I have no knowledge on.
If the club picks him at pick 11 I will be outraged and tear up my membership (I don't have a membership but I might buy one just to tear it up).

No thanks.
From my in-depth analysis based on other people's opinions of him I just don't see anything that screams elite and I highly doubt he'll improve into the superstar midfielder we need him to be, and I am sometimes right about random things that I have no knowledge on.
If the club picks him at pick 11 I will be outraged and tear up my membership (I don't have a membership but I might buy one just to tear it up).

It isn't really a great draft for midfielders.
Apart from Heeney & Brayshaw, most of the other midfielders have queries on them. Petracca is the other but he is a hit up third/medium tall as much as he is a mid.
You aren't going to get anything elite at 11.

It isn't really a great draft for midfielders.
Apart from Heeney & Brayshaw, most of the other midfielders have queries on them. Petracca is the other but he is a hit up third/medium tall as much as he is a mid.
You aren't going to get anything elite at 11.

Sarcasm.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Back