Bulletproof® Lifestyle / BP coffee etc...

Remove this Banner Ad

I will try some in my coffee. Your point?
JUst saying X, Y and Z have benefits doesn't mean it is automatically safe and beneficial to have all three in greater quantities than you'd ever have them in a normal diet.

There are no studies at all that show this diet has any benefits. None at all. If it is so popular why is this?

May 8, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
JUst saying X, Y and Z have benefits doesn't mean it is automatically safe and beneficial to have all three in greater quantities than you'd ever have them in a normal diet.

There are no studies at all that show this diet has any benefits. None at all. If it is so popular why is this?
Where did i mention the "diet" im talking about the butter/oil coffee

And what is a "normal" diet?

Where did i mention the "diet" im talking about the butter/oil coffee

And what is a "normal" diet?

The former, rather than the latter:

noun
noun: diet; plural noun: diets
  1. 1.
    the kinds of food that a person, animal, or community habitually eats.
    "a vegetarian diet"
    synonyms: selection of food, food and drink, food, foodstuffs, provisions, edibles, fare;More
    menu, table, meals;
    nourishment, nutriment, sustenance;
    informalgrub, nosh, eats, chow, scoff;
    formalcomestibles, provender;
    archaicaliment, victuals, vittles, viands, commons
    "your health problems could be related to your diet"
    • the activities, pastimes, etc. in which a person or group habitually engages.
      "screen violence is becoming the staple diet of the video generation"
  2. 2.
    a special course of food to which a person restricts themselves, either to lose weight or for medical reasons.
    "I'm going on a diet"
    synonyms: dietary regime, dietary regimen, dietary programme, restricted diet,
A "normal diet" is one that is

balanced, satisfying and does not leave you hungry.
http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2013/11/12/3889049.htm

These food-obsessive fad diets like Paleo and Bulletproof are some of the best marketing fads we've seen. They focus on people's vanity and desire to be apart from the crowd, and back it up with pseudo-science and tall stories about ancient wisdom and secret knowledge.

Nary a valid scientific study to be found.

Oct 6, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
on a journey through time and space
Fact is Numerous people are benefiting from a morning cup of bulletproof otherwise it wouldn't be so popular.
Most that criticise Dave Asprey aren't as successful as him so why does that tell you?
Everyone that sells products are called a con artist at some stage, usually from competitors, Asprey has the highest rating health podcast show at the moment so he's doing something right.
Millions succeed on a Keto type diet which includes a high fat breakfast & high percentage if not all obese people eat a high carb breakfast so you work out the best approach.

Bullet proof coffee & similar coffee concoctions consisting of high fat additives is vastly growing & will contunue to do so.
By using many of these criterion Ancel Keys would also be considered a successful health advisor.
The former, rather than the latter:

noun
noun: diet; plural noun: diets
  1. 1.
    the kinds of food that a person, animal, or community habitually eats.
    "a vegetarian diet"
    synonyms: selection of food, food and drink, food, foodstuffs, provisions, edibles, fare;More
    menu, table, meals;
    nourishment, nutriment, sustenance;
    informalgrub, nosh, eats, chow, scoff;
    formalcomestibles, provender;
    archaicaliment, victuals, vittles, viands, commons
    "your health problems could be related to your diet"
    • the activities, pastimes, etc. in which a person or group habitually engages.
      "screen violence is becoming the staple diet of the video generation"
  2. 2.
    a special course of food to which a person restricts themselves, either to lose weight or for medical reasons.
    "I'm going on a diet"
    synonyms: dietary regime, dietary regimen, dietary programme, restricted diet,
A "normal diet" is one that is

http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2013/11/12/3889049.htm

These food-obsessive fad diets like Paleo and Bulletproof are some of the best marketing fads we've seen. They focus on people's vanity and desire to be apart from the crowd, and back it up with pseudo-science and tall stories about ancient wisdom and secret knowledge.

Nary a valid scientific study to be found.
One can consume bullet proof coffee without adhering to any particular diet

By using many of these criterion Ancel Keys would also be considered a successful health advisor.

One can consume bullet proof coffee without adhering to any particular diet
True, the thread is about the 'lifestyle' though. Apologies if it has moved on and is now just about the coffee. Which, you must admit, has no scientific evidence behind it, cherry-picked studies included.

Hey take it easy, Bazzar. Chief, the most stable genius,'s read a Dr Karl article, he's now an expert on nutritional science and bio chemistry.
It is nice to be appreciated, though my knowledge also includes that gained from following Beast of Reason on Facebook, and my wife has a science degree. I also got an A in high school biology.

I think that puts me streets ahead of the average adherent to the Bulletproof 'lifestyle'.

Oct 6, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
True, the thread is about the 'lifestyle' though. Apologies if it has moved on and is now just about the coffee. Which, you must admit, has no scientific evidence behind it, cherry-picked studies included.
Like I said I feel and look a lot better for drinking it, I don't care if there's no scientific evidence backing it up.

It is nice to be appreciated, though my knowledge also includes that gained from following Beast of Reason on Facebook, and my wife has a science degree. I also got an A in high school biology.

I think that puts me streets ahead of the average adherent to the Bulletproof 'lifestyle'.
Personally I dont give a s**t about the Bullet proof lifestyle but if you really are a 'beast of reason' you will make an effort to find out that far from being unscientific nearly every study of the last decade or so points to the first food pyramid being far superior to the second. ( first taken from popular Paleo website)

That you dismiss people who make a proper effort to try to live a healthy lifestyle as merely vain demonstrates to me at least how muchh effort you've made to understand this stuff, A in biology or no.

food_pyramid_flat_2011sm-1.jpg

pyramid.gif

Personally I dont give a s**t about the Bullet proof lifestyle but if you really are a 'beast of reason' you will make an effort to find out that far from being unscientific nearly every study of the last decade or so points to the first food pyramid being far superior to the second. ( first taken from popular Paleo website)

That you dismiss people who make a proper effort to try to live a healthy lifestyle as merely vain demonstrates to me at least how muchh effort you've made to understand this stuff, A in biology or no.
Oh definitely, the old food pyramid is probably broken. But if it is to be fixed it requires proper study. Nearly every study shows Paleo is superior? That's simply not correct. Nearly every study cherry-picked by fad diet marketers, maybe.

The whole point is that following fad diet marketing - like Paleo and bulletproof - and other untested pseudo-science is not making a proper effort. It is in fact making a very poor effort that could just as easily be shortening your life span as prolonging it.

And yes, obsession about appearance is the very definition of vanity. Having seen people destroy their lives (permanently or temporarily) chasing triathlon victories and the like, I'd say it is quite dangerous.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh definitely, the old food pyramid is probably broken. But if it is to be fixed it requires proper study. Nearly every study shows Paleo is superior? That's simply not correct. Nearly every study cherry-picked by fad diet marketers, maybe.

The whole point is that following fad diet marketing - like Paleo and bulletproof - and other untested pseudo-science is not making a proper effort. It is in fact making a very poor effort that could just as easily be shortening your life span as prolonging it.

And yes, obsession about appearance is the very definition of vanity. Having seen people destroy their lives (permanently or temporarily) chasing triathlon victories and the like, I'd say it is quite dangerous.
Well personally i don't see what is pseudo-scientific or fadish about reccomending people base their diet primarily around meat, fish, eggs, healthy fats and vegetables and avoid processed food as much as practical. Further It's actual the opposite of a fad. It's the way we ate for the last 100,00 years prior to the the late 20th century.

I dont follow Paleo religiously myself but definitely lean that way. Every single article I've ever read on the Daily Apple site references recent scientific studies. Seems like a very sensible lifestyle to me.

In fact it represents the very epitome of diet that is
balanced, satisfying and does not leave you hungry.

Last edited:
Well personally i don't see what is pseudo-scientific or fadish about reccomending people base their diet primarily around meat, fish, eggs, healthy fats and vegetables and avoid processed food as much as practical.
Because it is fadish and pseudo-scientific.

What about fruit? Dairy? Grains? Legumes?

These fad diets all have intricate rules, based entirely on cherry-picked studies and not much else. None of them are recommended by dietitians or backed up by the weight of scientific testing and investigation.

"X is good for you! Y is good for you! Eating heaps of X and Y must be SUPER GOOD FOR YOU! Here's a $30 cookbook to show you how to make this taste less like arse just in time for Christmas."

People often say they feel good on this diet with that "miracle oil" (plus meditation and regular exercise) compared to their former diet of food and drinks that nobody recommends in large amounts, combined with less exercise.

They could almost certainly be on a normal balanced diet (a bit of everything, not too much of one thing, not too much processed food) with exercise/meditation and achieve exactly the same results at a fraction of the cost and effort and far fewer risks to future health.

The big difference is that the celebrity chefs and fad-makers would have nothing to sell.

This is how toss like anti-vaccination takes hold, and I'd bet dollars to donuts (the plain sugared cinnamon kind at $5/dozen after late-night shopping) that anti-vaccine nuttery and bulletproof/paleo/detox/whatever new fad nuttery correlate reasonably highly.

But in the end it is hard to be too judgmental: the fad-makers are armed with more psychological weapons than the average obsessive personality can withstand, and deploy them as aggressively as a poker machine manufacturer.

What about fruit? Dairy? Grains? Legumes?

What about them? Grains are the only ones they reccomend you substantially reduce. Good advice IMO
These fad diets all have intricate rules, based entirely on cherry-picked studies and not much else.
this one doesn't, and again eating the way we have
for the last 50,000+years is the opposite of fad, so please stop calling it that- you sound desperate.

What do you reckon the Aboriginals were eating before we got here? Kangaroo, goanna, fish seeds, vegetables and fruit etc. Not grains, wheatbix, pasta, cokes and Mars Bars. Seems to me your the one on the fad diet ;)

I post the reccomend pyramid, it's not restrictive. It's a balanced diet. Its just that it balances it differently to the Ancel Keys pyramid.
None of them are recommended by dietitians
more and more dieticians are changing toward this way of eating every day. Australian Cricket team, Port Adelaide and Melbourne FC ring a bell?

or backed up by the weight of scientific testing and investigation.
rubbish. You just havent looked. But hey, who am I to argue with someone weilding a Dr Karl article.

"X is good for you! Y is good for you! Eating heaps of X and Y must be SUPER GOOD FOR YOU! Here's a $30 cookbook to show you how to make this taste less like arse just in time for Christmas."

People often say they feel good on this diet with that "miracle oil" (plus meditation and regular exercise) compared to their former diet of food and drinks that nobody recommends in large amounts, combined with less exercise.

They could almost certainly be on a normal balanced diet (a bit of everything, not too much of one thing, not too much processed food) with exercise/meditation and achieve exactly the same results at a fraction of the cost and effort and far fewer risks to future health.

The big difference is that the celebrity chefs and fad-makers would have nothing to sell.

This is how toss like anti-vaccination takes hold, and I'd bet dollars to donuts (the plain sugared cinnamon kind at $5/dozen after late-night shopping) that anti-vaccine nuttery and bulletproof/paleo/detox/whatever new fad nuttery correlate reasonably highly.

But in the end it is hard to be too judgmental: the fad-makers are armed with more psychological weapons than the average obsessive personality can withstand, and deploy them as aggressively as a poker machine manufacturer.
ferk off with linking Paleo to anti vac. It just further strengthens my belief you barely looked into what you are calling a fad.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
I've done a balanced diet calorie controlled to lose weight before, this is easier to follow, garners better results and certainly doesn't cost any more.

May 8, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
I post the reccomend pyramid, it's not restrictive. It's a balanced diet. Its just that it balances it differently to the Ancel Keys pyramid. more and more dieticians are changing toward this way of eating every day. Australian Cricket team, Port Adelaide and Melbourne FC ring a bell?

And as i pointed out in another thread Ali Day who is LCHF/Paleo just won the Australian Iron Man. He changed from a so called balanced high carb SAD and was very ill for four years to LCHF/Paleo and never looked back, and it has not hindered his performance in such a grueling sport.

What about them? Grains are the only ones they reccomend you substantially reduce. Good advice IMO
this one doesn't, and again eating the way we have
for the last 50,000+years is the opposite of fad, so please stop calling it that- you sound desperate.

What do you reckon the Aboriginals were eating before we got here? Kangaroo, goanna, fish seeds, vegetables and fruit etc. Not grains, dairy, pasta, cokes and Mars Bars.
OK. So... I'm not Aboriginal. What have Europeans been eating? Grains, pasta, dairy, fruit veggies, nuts, legumes and so on. We're omnivores, and our diets have changed in the last 50,000 years. We've evolved. Our bacteria has evolved.

It is fadish pseudo-science to call on ancient wisdom ahead of the scientific facts.

I post the reccomend pyramid, it's not restrictive. It's a balanced diet. Its just that it balances it differently to the Ancel Keys pyramid. more and more dieticians are changing toward this way of eating every day. Australian Cricket team, Port Adelaide and Melbourne FC ring a bell?
There's the celebrity endorsement. Two down in the list of indicators of pseudo-science.

Look at the Essendon team and their supplement use. It is not beyond sports teams to fall for snake-oil salesmen. They are made up of people more obsessed with their bodies than most other people, and as time progresses their fitness departments are trying to differentiate themselves in different ways to get more resources.

The people who show up at their door with miracle diets, supplements and so on are growing more numerous. It is easier to follow a fad to avoid accusations of "we lost because they didn't eat enough organic butter!".

OK that is not what would happen, but it is easy to check off a fad item on your list of reasons you didn't * up and that it was someone else's fault.

I eat more junk than I should (mainly at lunch) and drink my fair share of alcohol (mainly at breakfast), and my last blood tests came back perfectly fine. Buy my new book "Party Hearty, Die Really Old"! I could drop maybe 10kgs, though, which I can probably do just dropping the bourbon and cokes and the Hungry Jacks.

rubbish. You just havent looked. But hey, who am I to argue with someone weilding a Dr Karl article.

ferk off with linking it to anti vac. It just further strengthens my belief you barely looked into what you are calling a fad.

( ablett - Are your kids vaccinations up to date? )

The Dr Karl article (and others) are simple guides to the issue, with references to the weight of scientific work on diet. You know that, but disparaging what you believe others will think is the weakest link in the argument is a short cut you're happy to take.

Hell, we all think the Telegraph is bollocks, so it must be wrong! http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/...Diet-simplistic-invalid-and-unscientific.html

It’s worth revisiting Asprey’s initial inspiration for his diet as well — yak butter tea, which he says formed part of a diet that enabled Tibetan Sherpas to scale mountains again and again, seemingly with ease.

In 2004, a study on the diet of Tibetan women found that Tibetans drank high quantities of buttered salt tea, consuming 12.5% more calories than the recommended daily allowance, and that these “high amounts of fat and caloric consumption resulted in increasing obesity among Tibetans, concomitantly increasing their risk for other health problems.”

The most common ailments were digestive disorders, upper respiratory diseases, tuberculosis, arthritis, joint pain, and back pain.

In 2011, a further study found abnormal lipid [fat] levels among highlanders. Sherpas had slightly lower levels of cholesterol, but another study found this was likely attributed to their metabolism of cholesterol at high altitude.

There's another study that comes out basically against animal fat as a cause of heart disease, blaming the metabolising of red meat for the production of proteins(?) that attack the heart. Can't find that one - it'll be around and it may even say something different to what I absorbed from reading an article about it.

I have no idea why you can't accept that these fads are cobbled together from hand-selected and usually totally inadequate studies (some with as few as two subjects), ignoring the immense volume of science that contradicts or debunks them. Even internal contradictions are ignored - no processed food but white rice is preferable to brown? Come on.

He also advocates white rice over brown because brown rice, Asprey says, has more anti-nutrients in it.

“These grains didn’t evolve to be eaten as a food source. They evolved to reproduce; germinate. They cover themselves in naturally occurring anti-nutrients or pesticides. Brown rice has stuff that irritates our gut and that’s not the case with white rice.”

To back this up, Asprey links to a paper on the effects of brown rice on digestibility. But it’s based on a study group of just five people and statistically insignificant.

This study is touted as long-term scientific validation of Paleo. It does no such thing:

Conclusions:

A PD has greater beneficial effects vs an NNR diet regarding fat mass, abdominal obesity and triglyceride levels in obese postmenopausal women; effects not sustained for anthropometric measurements at 24 months. Adherence to protein intake was poor in the PD group. The long-term consequences of these changes remain to be studied.

The article, slightly better than a Today Tonight report, buries these types of statement below the fold:

it lacked the statistical power to detect non-significant therapeutic changes that occurred in the Paleo Diet group relative to the low carbohydrate group.

Those guys at the UnScientific American are pulling our chains: http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/why-paleo-diet-half-baked-how-hunter-gatherer-really-eat/

Paleo diet fails in several ways: by making apotheosis of one particular slice of our evolutionary history; by insisting that we are biologically identical to stone age humans; and by denying the benefits of some of our more modern methods of eating.

What do you reckon the Aboriginals were eating before we got here? Kangaroo, goanna, fish seeds, vegetables and fruit etc. Not grains, dairy, pasta, cokes and Mars Bars.
Yes indeed.
A recent study in The Lancet looked for signs of atherosclerosis—arteries clogged with cholesterol and fats—in more than one hundred ancient mummies from societies of farmers, foragers and hunter–gatherers around the world, including Egypt, Peru, the southwestern U.S and the Aleutian Islands. ... they found evidence of probable or definite atherosclerosis in 47 of 137 mummies from each of the different geographical regions.

But it's fine. People have been falling for snake-oil salesmen since snakes were pureed into a syrup, diluted 1000 times over and sold by homeopaths as a miracle cure for orphidiophobia. I've even visited chiropractors a couple of times!

Humans are a credulous lot and there is always someone there to exploit that. It is a pity to see people you'd think are intelligent swallowing it so completely - even to the point of disparaging the originator of a fad while still defending the fad to the bitter end.

TLDR; Paleo is unproven, and likely to be total bullshit. "Bulletproof" is worse, if that is at all possible.

Last edited:
And as i pointed out in another thread Ali Day who is LCHF/Paleo just won the Australian Iron Man. He changed from a so called balanced high carb SAD and was very ill for four years to LCHF/Paleo and never looked back, and it has not hindered his performance in such a grueling sport.
What you have said here = not science.

Collect dozens more such people, control their diet and combine them with a control group and... science!

Otherwise you're just touting Power Balance bands.

OK. So... I'm not Aboriginal. What have Europeans been eating? Grains, pasta, dairy, fruit veggies, nuts, legumes and so on. We're omnivores, and our diets have improved in the last 50,000 years. It is fadish pseudo-science to call on ancient wisdom ahead of the scientific facts.

It's not calling on ancient wisdom, it's recognising that we evolved eating meat, fish and veggies. Grains/ pasta is only a recent addition to human diets evolutionary speaking. Again, much of the recent scientific data suggest low carb eating is more effective for weight control.

Here you go,from a well regarded study. This is Atkins (paelo improves on Atkins) but neverhteless it shits on any other style of eating for results and that includes the actual restrictive diets like vegetarian/ornish.

a-to-z-study-weight-loss-graph.jpg

I eat more junk than I should (mainly at lunch) and drink my fair share of alcohol (mainly at breakfast), and my last blood tests came back perfectly fine. Buy my new book "Party Hearty, Die Really Old"! I could drop maybe 10kgs, though, which I can probably do just dropping the bourbon and cokes and the Hungry Jacks.
Yes, why am I not surprised you're overweight. The old "I could get skinny following the standard diet if i only gave up ..."

Anyway, I'm done. You can really stick it up us gullible Paleo types by slowly getting fatter and sicker while telling yourself at least you didnt follow a fad!11!!!

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back