1. See 8 of the best Greyhounds in the country race for glory in the 2014 Sky Racing TOP GUN. Hit The Meadows to see all the action on Saturday Night October 25.

Burley Footballs

Discussion in 'Regional Footy' started by Thoroughbred, Apr 13, 2007.

Put it out there
  1. Thoroughbred

Thoroughbred Draftee

Brisbane Lions
    Other teams:
    I'm just wondering if any other country footballers are disappointed with Burley Footballs being used all over the state.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. Old School Biff

Old School Biff Draftee

West Coast
    Other teams:
    Disappointed would not be the term. Fu<king Outraged is more to the point. The balls are cheap, but the qulity is surely compromised. I'm just wondering what the next stop is, those pointy rubber footies you used to be able to buy at the local servo.

RIP T.W Sherrin.
  3. Barts

Barts Team Captain

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Leeds United
    Pieces of crap. They float, dont seem weighted well and are a dud company.

Why the bloody hell cant we just use what is the best ball on earth, and the only good enough for any sort of competitive footy?
  4. black n' white army

black n' white army Draftee

Collingwood
    Other teams:
    Benalla & District League are still using the good old T.W Sherrin
  5. Old School Biff

Old School Biff Draftee

West Coast
    Other teams:
    Good description. I think they are a disgrace and I think they make the game look very ugly to watch.

When clubs are spending thousands each week on players, $100 for a Sherring seems worth it compared to the $55 for the Burly.
  6. frankie.dettori

frankie.dettori Draftee

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    your ugly to watch.
  7. Barts

Barts Team Captain

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Leeds United
    To the C.E.O. of Burley, welcome:thumbsu:

P.S. Make better footballs. Your current ones are crap :)
  8. GrassKat

GrassKat Spec Moderator

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Murchison FNC & Katandra FNC
    Bendigo league used them in 2001, not sure if they still do. Lots different than the old faithful Sherrin.

It shouldn't be the cost. Have a look at http://estore.sportime.com.au/cache/searchl-ncache0public_enabledwebAND_0-0.html?cache=no

They have Sherrin footys for $90 and better still if you order 5 or more you can get you club logo or sponsor printed on the ball. No I don't work there just got a brochure. The printing is only on the top grade Kangaroo Brand that we all love.

They sell Burley too! For $80
    http://estore.sportime.com.au/cache/searchl-ncache0public_enabledwebAND_0-0.html?cache=no
  9. Courageunderfire

Courageunderfire Draftee

Melbourne
    Other teams:
    Dimboola 3rds

Bendigo have converted back to the T.W thankfully. Don't cut costs, quality not quantity!
  10. I Hate Time Trials

I Hate Time Trials Team Captain

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Terrible terrible footy's, you're all right, they float, especially if there is a breeze. I happened to flick my Austar onto ABC2 last night and watched West Perth V East Fremantle in WAFL Footy. 99% sure they were using Burley footy's. The reason I looked closely was because the skills were a little disappointing for this level. A brreeze was blowing, so the commentators said anyway. When Woewodin is missing targets from 30 metres away, something is amiss, bring back the Sherrin.
  11. frankie.dettori

frankie.dettori Draftee

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    possibly just woewodins kicking. lets give burleys a bit of a break here fellas;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. Adrian Shelton

Adrian Shelton Draftee

Geelong
    Other teams:
    North Adelaide
    Musnt build them as good as the 80's Burleys with the white lettering the WAFL used to use. At least they are Aussie made and owned too, unlike Sherrin who got bought(and Lyrebird and Faulkner with them who have mysteriously died out, hmmmm...)
  13. Hunch

Hunch Rookie

Essendon
    Other teams:
    burleys are crap. i watched one of the best kicks in the game he had four kicks and screamed at the top of his voice f***n balls all day every match people complain about the burley balls they are absolute rubbish.And a blight on the game.
  14. royalist

royalist Draftee

West Coast
    Other teams:
    Yeah ,have to agree.In state games , Burley and Sherrin shared a half each. Burley have always been known to float because they're lighter. Sherrin were always true.
  15. petedavo

petedavo Draftee

Other teams:
    Burley Footballs were a purely Western Australian brand made in Bassendean until taken over by Sekem in the 1960's. Sekem went and started having the balls made in India and even made plastic balls. They are just not the same anymore.

Old Joe Burley useed to be a big supporter and promoter of football and he took East Perth on a tour of Tasmania in the 1930's for winning the premiership.

He originally grew up in Hamilton Victoria where he learn't about football which he later promoted in WA. He came from a very large family and a couple of his much younger brothers formed a company making ladies underwear called Berlei (years after Joe had already come to Perth and set up Burley Footballs).

Trivial, I know, but it's interesting to find out how a bloke like Joe Burley, my great grandfather, was in some way responsible for developing and spreading Aussie Rules around Australia.
  16. stmookeyj

stmookeyj Premium Platinum

Western Bulldogs
    Other teams:
    Played with Burley's in an Under 16 rep carnival in 2000, found I couldn't kick the ball properly. Found it to be narrower and pointier than the Sherrin.
  17. goodie

goodie Team Captain

Richmond
    Other teams:
    Nilma Darnum
    i thought this was gonna be about fat footballers.
  18. bigpapagman

bigpapagman BigFooty Alcoholic

Richmond
    Other teams:
    Warriors & Scorchers
  19. blues12

blues12 Team Captain

Collingwood
    Other teams:
    I believe that this year, the same company that makes the Burley is now making the Sherrin, part of the agreement was that sherrin supply the mould or pattern. apparently using the same leather as the sherrin, now.
    Our league have used Burley for the past 4 or 5 years. this year they were alot better. ( I still prefer the Sherrin myself)
    I could be wrong though.
  20. carntheroos4eva

carntheroos4eva Suspended

North Melbourne
    Other teams:
    Geelong and Socceroos
    Sherrin footys > Burley footys

They are awful footys those burleys.
  21. Tex_21

Tex_21 All Australian

Geelong
    Other teams:
    Landsborough
    Recently moved from a league with Burleys (LPFL) to a league with Sherrins (WFL), the Burleys are rubbish-they float just like them plastic ones you get when your about 3 years old!
  22. pendlebury_10

pendlebury_10 Team Captain

Collingwood
    Other teams:
    Let's watch all those WA folks get on their high horses about their sacred Burley footballs.
  23. SvetlanaBabe

SvetlanaBabe Rookie

Hawthorn
    Other teams:
    There was an interesting product development research about Berley footballs.
    100 ex- VFL and AFL footballers used a Sherrin and a Berley.
    The players who kicked for goal poorly ALL thought the ball they were using was a Berley and they were in fact all Sherrins.
    82% of all footballers that were sampled prefered the Berley.

You guys should lose some of that fat of your respective guts so that at least you can see your feet IF YOU CAN KICK a ball in the first place.

The only thing you all have kicked is the dog on the way to the Eski fridge.

DUMB BOGANS!

Stop defaming Berley and just shut up.
    :mad:

My husband is an ex-AFL footballer who played more games for Fitzroy than all of you put together and he prefers a Berley!

He says only Bogans are T.W.Sherrin fascists.
  24. SvetlanaBabe

SvetlanaBabe Rookie

Hawthorn
    Other teams:
    The correct word is "those", NOT them!

You can't even construct a sentence in your (presumably) native language and you think you can judge Berley footballs?

The only thing that 'floats' is the fat in your head, it seems to me.
  25. axemaneagle

axemaneagle Draftee

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    couldn't agree more... have played in Ballarat Footy League for last couple years with Burley's... and they are terrible