Burley Vs Sherrin

Remove this Banner Ad

THE D

All Australian
Jun 29, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Just watching some WAFL highlights and it got me wondering what the go is with the Burley balls?
I've never kicked one. What's the diff? and why do the WAFL use them? To me it seems a little strange, just like the shield teams using a Platypus and then then getting thrown a Kookaburra when called up to the test team would seem odd

Local company, started making footballs in the early 1900s. They're just part of football tradition on this side of the country. The footballs they make are perfectly adequate for the intended task, there's never been any need to change it for something else.

I assume you have kicked one then? I ask because they seem to fly differently on T.V and also I remember Fev commenting that he didn't like the way the flew on the E.J legends game (although it's the straightest he ever kicked). What differences did you notice?

I assume you have kicked one then? I ask because they seem to fly differently on T.V and also I remember Fev commenting that he didn't like the way the flew on the E.J legends game (although it's the straightest he ever kicked). What differences did you notice?

Dunno. I've never played with a Sherrin.

Burley was the chief ball maker for Sherrin.
Burley started his own company when he came to WA.
Despite andedotal comment to the contrary there is no difference between the balls as
independant tests have shown.
However there is a difference. How so?
The difference is in the colour. Yellow balls are bleached less so are more subtle and easier to kick.
Yellow balls also water log quicker. The WAFL uses the yellow Burley and the AFL use the red Sherrin.

Despite andedotal comment to the contrary there is no difference between the balls as
independant tests have shown.
Complete and utter rubbish. I grew up with a Burley. I have owned many of each. In fact I have a Burley and a Sherrin in my garage. They are different. Always have been.

The burley is rounder and softer. The Sherrin is thinner and harder. Playing with a Burley barefoot was great when I was a kid. Not so with a Sherrin.

IMO the Sherrin is a better footy.

Complete and utter rubbish. I grew up with a Burley. I have owned many of each. In fact I have a Burley and a Sherrin in my garage. They are different. Always have been.

The burley is rounder and softer. The Sherrin is thinner and harder. Playing with a Burley barefoot was great when I was a kid. Not so with a Sherrin.

IMO the Sherrin is a better footy.

Did you even read the rest of the post where cos789 explained the Burley was softer? As for size, game day balls are measured to ensure they are the same dimensions on both the east and west coast.

They use (or certainly used to use) Burleys in the SANFL as well. I played juniors at that level and we always used Burley footballs. The Sherrin is a superior ball in my opinion but difference isn't good. If you can kick a Sherrin well you can kick a Burley well.

Or if you are me you cant kick either well

Probably showing my age a bit here, but the ball I've kicked most often was the KMart el-cheapo All-Pro brand. A real Burley football was a prized possession.

A think this is were all the anedotal evidence comes from - people kicking anything but the league standard Burley whilst Sherrin's were almost always the league standard.

They use (or certainly used to use) Burleys in the SANFL as well. I played juniors at that level and we always used Burley footballs. The Sherrin is a superior ball in my opinion but difference isn't good. If you can kick a Sherrin well you can kick a Burley well.
What happenned to the Faukner?

What happenned to the Faukner?
I'm not really sure (I'm only 22) but I remember growing up playing country football in SA and the seniors were always using a Ross Faulkner. Im in the city now so I'm not sure if they still use it. But I have a feeling they have switched to the Sherrin.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We used to use a Burley in country Vic (LPFL), and hated them. Seemed to float even more than a Sherrin would (very often for me, as I am s**t). They feel lighter or something.

Did you even read the rest of the post where cos789 explained the Burley was softer? As for size, game day balls are measured to ensure they are the same dimensions on both the east and west coast.
He said there was a difference between red and yellow balls. He said Sherrin and Burley were the same. He also said there's anecdotal evidence. This evidence, whatever it is, and wherever it came from, is flawed.

yeah i always found the Burleys floated, the Sherrins are much better to kick imo and therefore a better footy

We used to use a Burley in country Vic (LPFL), and hated them. Seemed to float even more than a Sherrin would (very often for me, as I am s**t). They feel lighter or something.

That is the perception between the yellow and the red ball.
Even though they have exactly the same weight and specs the yellow ball is perceived to be more elastic, easier to kick(softer), floats more and easier to mark(softer again). The red ball becuase it is harder(less elastic) to kick travels more direct and easier to judge but harder(on the hands) to mark.
The red ball has been good on the tradionally wet grounds but today like WA grounds the yellow ball IMO is great for fine weather football.

Never liked the Burleys... always preferred kicking the Sherrin.

That's quite meaningless unless you state a reason and again I must presume people are talking about the yellow Burley Vs the red Sherrin as this is their most common usuage.And were you using the expensive league standard ball Vs the el cheapo and were you using it in a high standard league.

Sherrins are slightly more rounded and are a bit heavier. If you're not a great kick then the Burley will tend to float off the boot more than a Sherrin would. That's what I've picked up from my involvement in footy where both Sherrins and Burleys are used.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back