Toast Bushie (rumours of his demise were greatly exaggerated)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lost_Deputy

Premiership Player
Sep 9, 2013
Bundeena
AFL Club
Fremantle
Fuq!

I found BF thru his posts on Indigenous stuff on the non footy forums. Much later I found out he was a BF legend and a bit of an outlaw. Only recently I realised just how hard he repped our club when we sucked.

He was an arsehole, a mate, a rival and an ally to many folk, often in the same thread.

That he may miss out on some serious breakthroughs on constitutional recognition during a incredibly exciting year for our club sucks but maybe it's typical. He loved the fight more than anything.

Condolances to our members and BF crew that had a link to the fella. Thoughts to his family and friends. Sorry to those that lost a voice in their lives.

Onya Bushie. You made a dent :)

estibador

purple haze
Mar 2, 2007
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Cowboys, Packers, Scorchers
Very sad news.

I never had the good fortune to meet him but I could tell his heart was coming from the right place even if his methods were a little more... robust... than I would normally choose. Hopefully there's a right place up there somewhere for his heart to watch our first premiership from.

Rest in peace bushie... if you can manage to do anything peacefully. :)

E Shed

Fremantle Obsessive
Sep 10, 2006
Perth WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
I still have a PM from him from when he was Bushie telling me he was leaving the forum cause there were too many nuffies. He called me a gun poster and told me to keep fighting the good fight.
Of course I then managed to annoy one of his later incarnations when I'd just come back from a Yoga retreat in India. I was recently divorced and doing a lot of mung beany stuff and he found my musings a little, shall we say florid and I got the jihad treatment for a while. Gees he could carry a grudge once you got on the wrong side but would still like and reply to my posts when we were in agreement so fair play.
I admired his stance on indigenous issues and politics in general on some of the other boards and he knew his footy.
Not many have the infamy he managed to generate and certainly he made the place interesting.
RIP.

Bulldocker

Club Legend
Nov 22, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
WB,Claremont,Seahawks,Canucks
Yep. Remember he tore me a new one under the Proud Bogan guise soon after I joined. That's when I realised it may be a good idea to be a bit more certain of my facts and to pick my arguments wisely.

Otherwise......... may as well f*** off to dockerland.com !!! :D

yoong

Club Legend
May 9, 2013
3,919 km from Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Sad to hear this.
I join BF only towards the end of his 'career', so I did not catch a lot of his exploits. While his methods can be harsh, he is typically fair and reasonable. I have to admit I learned quite a bit reading his posts. His posts in the Simpson thread have been especially educational for me.
I was really hoping he'll pop in here eventually, sigh, guess not.

Take care, slicedndiced.

Jul 15, 2007
Too far from my bed
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Patriots
No doubt a BF legend. I don't think I've ever seen anybody mix sage understanding with vehement reactionary rage in the same persona like he did.

I don't ever remember being on the receiving end of his barrages, but even though I may not have agreed with everything he said or his methods, his posts nevertheless were rarely if ever irrational or fabricated out of ignorance - colourfully and 'passionately' delivered, oh yeah, none better than that, but he was far from mindless and though I never met him, I soon worked out that behind his sometimes 'grumpy old man' exterior was a knowledgeable man who's heart, as Esti said above, was very much in the right place.

Interestingly enough, I've recently been wondering if he would come wondering back in, or even if he was ducking in and just reading the odd post. I knew he wasn't well, so it's sort of no surprise, but still, I always expected a new Bushie incarnation to appear at some point ... not to be.

RIP and condolences to any friends or family that might be reading.

Sad news.

An intimidatingly knowledgeable guy who was only ever encouraging to me in my early postings (I mustn't have been doing it right!!); but going off the tributes on this thread from friends and foes alike, a well-respected member of our online purple-clad community. My thoughts are with all those feeling the loss.

Freo Dr

Club Legend
Mar 7, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
A legend and an enigma he was - a torrent of sage wisdom alternating with intolerance of fools. So sad he will not get to see our first flag...

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
Sad to hear this news. He was the 1st among the lot of us to stand up for Freo in Bay 13 when the team struggled. Even when Freo were down and out, He manages to troll the Eagles on bay 13. Gutted He never got his big day in seeing the dockers pulling off the impossible dream in winning a Premiership.

Frigate

Club Legend
Jun 17, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool
Great post Keyser Soze. Saddened to hear the news about Bushie. Although I did clash with him at times, I always felt he was giggling and enjoying the banter. He certainly knew his stuff.

Oct 3, 2006
Block 345
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Glasgow Celtic, Roys FFC, NUFC,
He fought, with all seriousness, against injustice for those who couldn't speak up on this board.
My lasting memory was of him going hammer and tongs regarding Josh Simpson's extended stay away from the club and how he knew the inside track on what was going on with him.
That was Bushie. Sadly only saw him online once after that.
Rest in Peace Craig.

Jul 22, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Gutted to hear the news, quality poster - even if it was a thread topic you couldn't care less about - it was generally worth checking out if you saw him attached as the most recent poster. Loved his passion and his sense of humour, both of which were often overlooked in the very 'serious business' of footy forum chatting unfortunately.

Vale Bushie.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Genuinely, sad news. He was never a sycophant and embodied the anger and contrarianism most Fremantle people should have, but don't.

I don't think he ever saw through or hated anyone as much as me in my peak/nadir, but towards the end I got a few likes from him and felt some sort of vindication.

There's nothing wrong with being emotional and angry, and I'm sure he was a humorous and decent version of himself in person.

He saw a Grand Final even if he didn't see a flag, and that's more than what many Freo fans who have died have seen.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Very sad to hear of Bushie's passing.

I particularly enjoyed his contributions in the Josh Simpson thread. Post after post after post trying to educate the nuffies re indigenous culture.

And even though he came across as hard and acerbic, he was always a gentleman towards the ladies around here.

Commiserations to his family and friends.
i forgot about this. Honestly one of the best little arguments he had going, even though most would say he was completely outnumbered in his belief. His decency towards the plight of Simpson and Aboriginal culture was great to see. I reckon I copped my first big up from him there.

Sep 27, 2005
Victoria
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
WILDCATS/STH.FREO/CELTICS
Very sad to hear, loved reading his posts taking down the nuffies, even if they were from my club.Even though i was an Eagle, i got along well with him, and had many private conversations thru PM. I remember once on the Limbo club someone was making disparaging remarks about myself and my wife, we were both friendly with him, below is the PM he sent me.

How are you matey?

Are you going to kick this little *er??

Cos I am feeling all dirty sticking up for an eagle.

bushie

Was a passionate supporter of your club and the mighty South Freo, and for all his bluster a nice guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back