Opinion Butcher

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Irrespective of his form at $ANFL level, if Shultz were to go down, I'd still be confident Butch could come in and perform as he is a natural forward. It is when he has to play alongside Shultz/learn how to be the 2nd KPF in the $ANFL, his game falls apart. He definitely warrants a spot on our list next year

With all due respect, when I watch Butch play I don't think he's a natural anything.

Liam Jones.
Casboult.
Anyone from Brisbane.
Aaron Black.
Anyone from Fremantle bar Pav.
St Kilda bar Roo.
Tom 8 million dollar Boyd.
Shaun ******* Mckernan.

How many second string KPFs at their respective clubs have demonstrated sustained, consistent form, better than anything Butch has delievered in the AFL? Yes, the AFL?

For the last 2 years we've been happy with Schulz and Westhoff as our 2 talls, that's our structure and it works well for us when it is on. Would any of the guys mentioned be able to crack our team for 10+ games a year with no injury?

Admittedly, Boyd probably would, based on a need for development for a number 1 pick.

I'm pretty sure last years number 1 has kicked a few donuts in the VFL and can't get a game I front of a guy who was playing as a tall back pocket last year.

Butch would have been given more opportunities at other clubs, would he better or worse for it? Doesn't matter. But if you honestly believe other clubs wouldn't have played him for more than 5 games a season when injury allows it, you're kidding yourself.

Last edited:
With all due respect, when I watch Butch play I don't think he's a natural anything.
He is a pretty good natural sanfl hack atm though. Which is sad because every now and then he shows something but he has just about become a list clogger in my book.

If nothing improves with his game I can see him being traded for peanuts or rookie listed. My daughter will be sad, she has her guernsey signed by him.

For her sake I hope his finger gets pulled out and fast.

He is a pretty good natural sanfl hack atm though. Which is sad because every now and then he shows something but he has just about become a list clogger in my book.

If nothing improves with his game I can see him being traded for peanuts or rookie listed. My daughter will be sad, she has her guernsey signed by him.

For her sake I hope his finger gets pulled out and fast.

He's probably the least naturally gifted person I can remember seeing at elite level sport. He just looks completely out of his depth on a football field. I wanted him to succeed but it's just not going to happen.

He's probably the least naturally gifted person I can remember seeing at elite level sport. He just looks completely out of his depth on a football field. I wanted him to succeed but it's just not going to happen.
But he hasn't always been. Once he was a strong marking, hard leading, pack crashing future superstar.

It's all confidence.

The most athletically promising that I've seen him was in the first Showdown last year.
It was a tantalising glimpse at what could have been.

The most athletically promising that I've seen him was in the first Showdown last year.
It was a tantalising glimpse at what could have been.
What i liked about his game that day was his involvement in general play, his field kicking was good from memory and he dished off/created a few goals for others... never seen it again since

It was ludicrous that he got dropped 2 weeks after that game. That was the turning point in his career.

If he'd spent the next 10 weeks in the AFL doing the same thing he was doing in the SANFL, he'd be a better player and we'd be a better side.

It was ludicrous that he got dropped 2 weeks after that game. That was the turning point in his career.

If he'd spent the next 10 weeks in the AFL doing the same thing he was doing in the SANFL, he'd be a better player and we'd be a better side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah in regard to drafting another key forward we have harvey , mason , and Dougal as deveping talls. I would only add another tall if they were a more likely prospect , or too good too pass up at the pick.

It would be very hard to try to develop like four+ tall forwards. Dougal can and likely will be developed as a swingman.

We have a huge gap between shultz , who in season 2016 will be 31 and likely done , and harvs shaw who haven't been exposed at afl level yet. Drafting another 18 year old kid won't solve that problem. But hell , if there is a talented key forward at our pick take him for sure , but not a speculative mid draft might make it pick.

I'm super interested in josh shache , who could be a beast , and Ryan burton though.

But he hasn't always been. Once he was a strong marking, hard leading, pack crashing future superstar.

It's all confidence.

Feels like years since we've seen anything even resembling that. It has been years :(

All i see in him is defensively he is okay in the forward line.. not bad when the ball hits the ground, basically an expert at crumbing he's own dropped marks and i dunno can take the odd pack mark when he himself doesnt expect it?

It IS all in the head because deep down the kids capable...he's terrible goal kicking has just about effected everything else about hes game. Like i said earlier, going home will do him good.. but i guess thats being too negative and i should shutup.

He was though, pre-draft. That's why he was rated highly in some circles. It's been a long time though, it may never come back

forget drafting a KPF.. we need to throw whatever money we have left at enticing a decent KPF from another club. Open the chequebook for Jeremy Cameron
resigned with The Giants for 5 years earlier this year

He was though, pre-draft. That's why he was rated highly in some circles. It's been a long time though, it may never come back

He was getting results as a junior but he's never been a natural athlete by any stretch. And there's always been a knock on his kicking even as a junior. Plenty have dominated at junior level and failed to deliver in the AFL. Ben Jacobs?

No he wouldn't.

You seriously must be related to him I reckon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back