Opinion Butcher

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was ludicrous that he got dropped 2 weeks after that game. That was the turning point in his career.

If he'd spent the next 10 weeks in the AFL doing the same thing he was doing in the SANFL, he'd be a better player and we'd be a better side.

Your persistence and consistency is incredible.

Last edited:
It was ludicrous that he got dropped 2 weeks after that game. That was the turning point in his career.

If he'd spent the next 10 weeks in the AFL doing the same thing he was doing in the SANFL, he'd be a better player and we'd be a better side.

Would've kicked 6 against the atrocious Landerbund. I saw it in visions.

He was getting results as a junior but he's never been a natural athlete by any stretch. And there's always been a knock on his kicking even as a junior. Plenty have dominated at junior level and failed to deliver in the AFL. Ben Jacobs?

Yeah, well you see that's the conundrum isn't it? You have to show something as a junior, or you won't get picked up and yet no-one has a crystal ball

No he wouldn't.

You seriously must be related to him I reckon.

He wouldn't be a better player if he had played 10 more games at AFL level?

As a developing forward given the service he would have been getting from our mids in the first half of last year?

#carn

yeah i agree with you here.
6 years Butch has been on our list and he peaked in his second AFL game back in 2011. Its been a slippery slope since then

Damon White offered more than Butch

Damon White is another player who wasn't given enough of a run at AFL level and was delisted too early in his career.

I'd love to know how some of you people think clubs get a AFL quality key forward.

It seems like we've been spoiled with our two, through zone selecting one and having the other completely misjudged at AFL level by his previous club and effectively donated to us in a trade for nothing. Now people just assume they grow on trees. They don't.

Most of the time you have to actually play and stick with a developing KPF while he learns his craft. Shocking, I know.

People are very quick to look outside our club and wish that our club would make a play for all the green grass over the fence, but our grass might be green if we'd committed to watering it consistently.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fiora was selected in the 1999 AFL Draft at pick number three by the Richmond Football Club.

It reads like an epitaph.
He played well over 100 games though many as a complete spud, you can only blame development so much.

People are very quick to look outside our club and wish that our club would make a play for all the green grass over the fence, but our grass might be green if we'd committed to watering it consistently.

They seem to be of the opinion that key forwards should instantly be awesome like wines. And if not we can just grab one from anywhere if only we would give up on the one we have.

El Scorcho, I say this with all respect as a previous Butcher booster, are you attempting to apply the 10,000 hours of mastery concept to posting about poor 'ol #11? Time to move on, he is, sadly, done at this level.

Here is some stats for everyone

Since 2005 upwards of 700 players have been drafted onto afl teams. Think about that number for a moment.

Of those players drafted from 2005 onwards , only 6 key position forwards have gone on to kick 50+ goals in at least one season. Think about that for a moment. 6 of 700. Sure there are maybe like 5 or 6 more that are just starting out that might make that mark in a few years ( of course by thn the current crop like Kennedy/ roughhead will be gone or past their prime).

If we want a gun key forward we are going to have to find one , no one is gonna gift us something that is so hard to get.

If we want a gun forward , we have to prepare for the fat we are going to have to kiss a lot of frogs before we find our prince , and only by due diligence and giving someone time to develop are we going to do this.

I'm not saying butch is our prince , odds are very very likely he isn't , but we cannot just cast aside every key forward who spent instantly dominate or has a few hiccups.

Damon White is another player who wasn't given enough of a run at AFL level and was delisted too early in his career.

Ok, I'm out.

He wouldn't be a better player if he had played 10 more games at AFL level?

As a developing forward given the service he would have been getting from our mids in the first half of last year?

#carn

Trouble is, we aren't actually an under 18s team whose reason for being is development. We are a professional AFL team and for the last two years we have been competing near the pointy end of the league. We haven't been in a position since 2012 where we can just gift games to players in the name of development. Yes you always aim to develop young players but no you don't compromise the entire performance and structure of your forward line in the name of developing one player.

Butch has had opportunities and failed to grasp them. That's on him and it's undeniable. No doubt those opportunities have been limited over the last 12 months or so but there is a reason for that. He doesn't consistently kick enough goals at SANFL level and then when opportunities arise at AFL level he consistently fails to take them.

Like mostly everyone I want Butch to succeed. But time is running out. I remember watching him in a NAB game against West Coast in WA in 2012. He absolutely dominated, kicked 5 from memory and just generally had a presence and confidence about him that has almost completely evaporated from his game since. He needs to somehow rediscover the magic and quick or he'll be out the door by season's end, that's the reality.

I don't disagree, although I do believe our situation is going to lead to someone like Shaw or Harvey being played before they are really dominating the SANFL. Assuming Butch doesn't come up and gets delisted, and then in Round 1 2016, Schulz does an 8 week injury. What then?

It would be better to get games into our development KPFs now while we can carry them (especially when for a lot of the last couple of seasons, Butch was a viable option in our best 22), than just hope it will all be okay and chuck one of them in the deep end when Schulz or Westhoff get an injury and they are forced to not only play, but replace Schulz.

I saw his first game at Alberton - he had 12 possessions in the first quarter. Never developed further

Yep first qtr in his first senior game, centre bounce, took off from the edge of the square on the outer side of Alberton oval, grabbed the pill, cut through to the members's half forward line, two bounces, and then sausaged it. o_O

I remember thinking, how f****** good is this bloke going to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back