Status
Not open for further replies.

ploppy

Club Legend
Sep 29, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I dont why people are comparing Hawkins to Butcher they are totally different players. There the same height but Hawkins is a much solider frame and heavier unit. Butcher would be faster but never be the bulk of Hawkins. Hawkins has always had a more natural smooth kicking action, Butcher's kicking action has always been awkward, admittly its getting better but not in the same league as Hawkins. Hawkins is a Carey type, Butcher is a more a Toby Thurstans type.

Jan 5, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
To the comments saying wayne carey needs to have a talk to him, I disagree. Butchers main problem is goal kicking. In the SANFL butcher has kicked 30 goals 20 Behinds and probably around 13-15 out on the falls, If he kicked straight:
a) He would be in the AFL team
b) we wouldn't be in this mess
and c) he would be a pretty good forward
Carey would help if butcher was new to the forward line and needed help with where to lead.

To the comments saying wayne carey needs to have a talk to him, I disagree. Butchers main problem is goal kicking. In the SANFL butcher has kicked 30 goals 20 Behinds and probably around 13-15 out on the falls, If he kicked straight:
a) He would be in the AFL team
b) we wouldn't be in this mess
and c) he would be a pretty good forward
Carey would help if butcher was new to the forward line and needed help with where to lead.

From what some people have said watching his games for the Maggies, I reckon he might need help with his timing...

steve4445

All Australian
Jul 18, 2010
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I dont why people are comparing Hawkins to Butcher they are totally different players. There the same height but Hawkins is a much solider frame and heavier unit. Butcher would be faster but never be the bulk of Hawkins. Hawkins has always had a more natural smooth kicking action, Butcher's kicking action has always been awkward, admittly its getting better but not in the same league as Hawkins. Hawkins is a Carey type, Butcher is a more a Toby Thurstans type.
I was more referring it to the Jake Carlisle situation - since the duck has been working with him his game has completely changed. The Hawkins mention was just a reference to Carey s history with coaching the forwards one on one.

Grandaddy J

All Australian
Apr 27, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Philadelphia 76ers
I was more referring it to the Jake Carlisle situation - since the duck has been working with him his game has completely changed. The Hawkins mention was just a reference to Carey s history with coaching the forwards one on one.

Carlisle and Carey went out for coffee once in May...lol

Geez Id like to see Butcher come out and kick 8 to 10 goals next week against the crows - basically telling the selectors to pick me.

AJJPAFC

Club Legend
Mar 12, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
PAFC SANFL
Geez Id like to see Butcher come out and kick 8 to 10 goals next week against the crows - basically telling the selectors to pick me.
Yep. Needs to throw all the Maggie's Midfielders a pineapple each and tell them all to kick it to him all damn day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Chrizzt

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I think the point with Butch is that an AFL spot is his to take, but he simply hasn't taken it. I'm still a fan of him and think he can become something pretty good, but if he clunked a few more marks and got his kicking action right he'd be in the team.

This but every week for the past 2 years...he had to play the past 3 weeks, he didn't. No way is he getting a game now when our KPD's come back Justin can play more in the forward line.

If Schulz gets a level one striking charge then with his existing carry over points he will miss the collingwood game. Butcher or Shaw will then have to play

Stewart and Schulz both got cleared.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back