Opinion Butcher

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ken said it in his presser. Moon boot comes off this week.

Once the moon boot is off and Trengove starts to 'try it out' a little we will know more. Up until then it's only best guess.

Those type of injuries may see him ready in a week or two, or we may not see him again until 2015.

Fingers crossed, but nobody would really have any idea at the moment.

Once the moon boot is off and Trengove starts to 'try it out' a little we will know more. Up until then it's only best guess.

Those type of injuries may see him ready in a week or two, or we may not see him again until 2015.

Fingers crossed, but nobody would really have any idea at the moment.

Boot is off for Jacko.He posted a pic of it off on his twitter.Definitely the Sydney game, slight chance for the Collingwood game

I think the club saying he'll be ready for the Sydney game is optimistic. We really won't know much until the end of this week at the earliest. The boot only came off this morning. Think positive thoughts.

If Jackson recovers in time for the Collingwood game, and with the facial hair he can grow, I nominate a new nickname for him: The Wolverine.

Geez Id like to see Butcher come out and kick 8 to 10 goals next week against the crows - basically telling the selectors to pick me.

We have been wanting to see that for the past 4 seasons. For Butcher to kick 10 he would need 30 shots on goal in a game.

I would be working on Butchers tank and training him to assume a natanui type role in the ruck. He has cat like agility, a decent leap and plenty of speed. I think playing across the middle and getting plenty of the ball would do wonders for his confidence.

He would have to bulk up a bit but at 94kg he is only one preseason away from 98kg.

Bomber Thompson on Carlisle back in April just replayed on AFL 360.
"Players go through bad patches, Tom Hawkins played a whole season shocking I copped all the abuse in the world for playing him & I said just be patient he's going to take time but he's going to be alright & is he alright? People give up on people too quickly, I give people chances mate"

Bombers a smart man & thought his comments were relevant to us with Butcher & I wouldn't be giving up on him yet. I just hope our coach is thinking along the same lines because he hasn't really shown a lot of faith in Butch as of yet.

Bombers a smart man & thought his comments were relevant to us with Butcher & I wouldn't be giving up on him yet. I just hope our coach is thinking along the same lines because he hasn't really shown a lot of faith in Butch as of yet.

The difference between Hawkins and Butcher though is that Hawkins never really had a major injury which hampered his development from 2006-2010. Butcher has been injured more than he has been healthy since he's been drafted. Furthermore, what has Butcher shown in the last 2 years to suggest he's going to make it at AFL level? He's spent nearly 5 years in the AFL system at Port and he still can't kick straight with any sort of consistency! I think that having another tall forward would help the forward line, but I'm not convinced that Butcher is going to be that guy. I'd rather give Mason Shaw a go, at least he's been showing some consistent form the last few weeks in the SANFL. Doubt that happens though.

My preference would be to trade for a key forward this off-season. We've got some good depth in the midfield and our back line is decent, a key forward to accompany Schulz and Westhoff could make our forward line near unstoppable. I know this would never happen, but I'd love to trade for Nick Riewoldt and give him 2 years here to get a premiership. Would be an awesome mentor for Shaw and Mitch Harvey, and increasing their development could mean that Riewoldt wouldn't have to play every game (i.e. keep his legs fresh for the big games).

spot on

we will not win a premiership without another tall forward. So do we persist striving to win 4 points by not playing butcher or do we develop butcher and aim for a premiership?

for those that don't share our view, here is a clue; "we exist to win premierships"

spot on

we will not win a premiership without another tall forward. So do we persist striving to win 4 points by not playing butcher or do we develop butcher and aim for a premiership?

for those that don't share our view, here is a clue; "we exist to win premierships"

100% agree.
However if people want to look at the negatives and nothing but the negatives, they will find them no matter what you, I or anyone else might say.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have to agree fully that Butcher just hasn't earned a recall or applied himself in a way that demands him to be picked. Consistent effort and form should be rewarded as Ken is going about things. It doesn't matter how tall he is or what structural advantages he may bring, the fact is that a position most definitely would've been made for him if he was up to it, but he isn't even after what 5 years on list.

Have to agree fully that Butcher just hasn't earned a recall or applied himself in a way that demands him to be picked. Consistent effort and form should be rewarded as Ken is going about things. It doesn't matter how tall he is or what structural advantages he may bring, the fact is that a position most definitely would've been made for him if he was up to it, but he isn't even after what 5 years on list.
So if Schulz and Westhoff go down do we replace them with the in form Hitchock, Neade or Mitchell?

Could be rubbish, but there 2 rumours going around...

Matthew Lloyd wants to help Butcher.

Butcher wants to go back to Victoria, possibly to the Western Bulldogs in exchange for Cooney or Higgins.
I wouldn't trade Butch for only one of them when Higgins is a free agent we could & should consider taking for nothing at seasons end, if the Dogs want to trade they can offer up one of their younger mids like Wallace who isn't in the Bontempelli/Macrae untouchable bracket.

I'd still be reluctant to part ways too soon with very little developing key forward stock, no doubt Bulldogs of all clubs would be the most interested in him though possibly St Kilda too.

Butcher wants to go back to Victoria, possibly to the Western Bulldogs in exchange for Cooney or Higgins.
Personally I would take that. Butch will be traded imo.

The same Cooney that signed a contract extension a year ago?

I wouldn't trade Butch for only one of them when Higgins is a free agent we could & should consider taking for nothing at seasons end, if the Dogs want to trade they can offer up one of their younger mids like Wallace who isn't in the Bontempelli/Macrae untouchable bracket.

I'd still be reluctant to part ways too soon with very little developing key forward stock, no doubt Bulldogs of all clubs would be the most interested in him though possibly St Kilda too.

I'd wait on making a decision on Butcher until the end of next year. But that's only if we manage to land another ruck and/or fwd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back