Status
Not open for further replies.

PortMacPower

Team Captain
Sep 22, 2009
Riverbank Stand, Adelaide Oval
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
You can't possibly know what's underneath and I've never pretended to suggest otherwise. It could be an unresolved Oedipal Complex for all we know.

All I am saying is he has an anxiety disorder in front of goal. It's not a simple matter of more kicking or match simulation, it runs deeper than that and people need to be cognisant and understanding of that. Comments along the lines of 'harden up' are pathetic in this situation (not that you have said this).

I said three posts ago that I was just saying it was a anxiety condition and you were looking at the underlying but your conclusion is still the same, his confidence goes in front of goal.

But anyone who has watched him over any length of time will tell you the response is specific to goal kicking. Apart from the occasional awkward marking attempt his other football skills, including kicking the ball in general field play are good.

I totally agree with this 100%. And the problem is when his confidence is down after missing and not wanting to muck it up again it effects the rest of his game. He isn't going to go at the next mark so hard so he doesn't have to go through that again and have another shot etc. The problem with an anxiety condition like that is it might uust take time to cure, or even something to happen in his life which is completely unrelated to footy. Unfortunately that might not happen in time to save his career.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
If only we had a maggies reserves, I'd drop him back but just tell him to play, how he wants to play, free from coaches and everything, no pressure.

If only we had a maggies reserves, I'd drop him back but just tell him to play, how he wants to play, free from coaches and everything, no pressure.

No no no, if only we had our players distributed among sanfl clubs where they wouldn't play our players where we wanted. Butch would get played in ruck and defence and recapture some confidence. :p

No no no, if only we had our players distributed among sanfl clubs where they wouldn't play our players where we wanted. Butch would get played in ruck and defence and recapture some confidence. :p

Like when those flogs at WWT refused to play gun key defender Nick Salter in his best position in defence :mad:

PortMacPower

Team Captain
Sep 22, 2009
Riverbank Stand, Adelaide Oval
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It seems to me the more supporters and media have been calling for us to pick Butcher or a third tall, the worse he has performed. He really probably just needed one stand out game since Trengove went out, but that pressure has directly correlated with his downturn in form. Maybe the club needs to pick Mason who certainly looked the better of the 2 on the weekend, and start pumping him up, and take the pressure off Butch. From what I saw on Saturday he is still a bit raw and needs to learn where to lead to and time his runs etc, but I think he could be a really good third tall in the AFL side. Get some games under Shaw's belt and see how he goes.

Has the replay of that kick surfaced online....
Go to 24 min time elapsed in the 2nd quarter on this link of the replay. Butch takes a mark and is pushed out of it by Rutten so is given a free. He then shanks it, but you'll have seen him do worse in the AFL. You don't really see anything of note and there's no slow motion, no multi-camera stuff. Of itself it's no big deal, you'll see many other players do something similar in most AFL games. The story is of course that it's Butch and you know the rest.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Butcher has had a few good games in the sanfl but his goal kicking is so erratic it cannot be concluded that it has improved. His poor kicking could potentially wreck his afl development all-round, if it hasn't already begun doing so in recent weeks.

People are clutching at straws when they say that his field kicking is good. In most games he's not had the opportunity to field kick. When he's kicking, it is usually for goal. So it is not enough of a sample to make comment about his field kick.

Butcher has a coordination issue, it is more prominant with his set shot kicking. He does not look like he has a consistent routine to his approach.

His kick for goal is unreliable and I cannot believe that it would not be the main reason why he did not get picked again to play afl.

bushwood

Club Legend
Jan 11, 2009
home
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Pistons, 36'ers
I think we as supporters should take some of the blame as well.

We built Butcher up to something that he has not been able to handle and the nickname "the future" has not helped him at all. He kicked those goals in 2011 in meaningless games where we were all craving for a "little white ray of hope" in a dreadful season.

Injuries from that point of time has obviously dented his confidence in his body and now he is doubting his own footballing ability as evidenced by his display yesterday.
That nickname should have been quashed the moment it appeared.

Sep 20, 2007
Dungeon
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
You keep saying this ridiculous stuff that Butcher's mother would face-palm at. The trouble is we have a few people here who read your constant bizzaro spin and it's an interesting exercise in 'me tooism' that obviously without having seen him play they start putting his name into their ins for upcoming matches.

Bizzare post. Give people some credit. It is possible to think for yourself AND agree with someone else.

Smithy7

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Mar 1, 2014
South of Scotland
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Go to 24 min time elapsed in the 2nd quarter on this link of the replay. Butch takes a mark and is pushed out of it by Rutten so is given a free. He then shanks it, but you'll have seen him do worse in the AFL. You don't really see anything of note and there's no slow motion, no multi-camera stuff. Of itself it's no big deal, you'll see many other players do something similar in most AFL games. The story is of course that it's Butch and you know the rest.
They have posted the replay early.. sometimes we have to wait several days

cj_09

Premiership Player
Oct 14, 2012
Probably out prospecting for gold.
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Newcastle United
Trade him to the Bulldogs for a 2nd or 3rd round pick and just end the charade.

Keeping him on the list would be an insult to the guys we delist.

Agree...

Use the draft/trade to bring in some more tall forwards and get some games into Shaw and Harvey.

Butcher will then become a distant memory that will slowly fade away.

rignanv

Team Captain
Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I know this sound crazy but if I was Kenny I'd be tempted to play Butcher this week and tell him he is in for the rest of the H&A as long as he puts in 100% effort for 100% of the time. I'd tell him not to worry about his kicking but to just focus on attacking the ball and tackling the opposition when we don't have the ball

May 7, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
49érs, SF Giants, GS Warriors
When are people going to realise that no club is going to offer a draft pick for Butcher. He has no currency to entice other clubs to pick him up.

I know this sound crazy but if I was Kenny I'd be tempted to play Butcher this week and tell him he is in for the rest of the H&A as long as he puts in 100% effort for 100% of the time. I'd tell him not to worry about his kicking but to just focus on attacking the ball and tackling the opposition when we don't have the ball

Surely you jest. We are not going to play one short in a crucial match which has a huge impact on our final 4 chances.

My worse fear is Butch ends up at another club and tears it up, and tears us a new one when he plays us .....
If he did come good elsewhere I'd be genuinely happy for him. It's pretty hideous that in his time with us he's gone from star of the future to freakshow. I don't like the idea that his time at Port is leaving him mentally scarred, and if going elsewhere is what it takes to reverse that I can live with it. But getting him somewhere else is problematic, hard to see anyone approaching us wanting him at present.
... If it does happen, its confirmed he never wanted to be here.
Can't see the logic there.

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
My worse fear is Butch ends up at another club and tears it up, and tears us a new one when he plays us. If it does happen, its confirmed he never wanted to be here.

Yeah nah this isn't right. Clearly he has some mental issues but he very obviously enjoys being a part of the squad. If he tears it at up another club, all it proves is that that club did a better job at fixing him than we did.

As for nobody coming in for him, you guys are kidding yourselves. His performances at AFL level have been as good as anybody with the same experience level. I'm not saying there will be a bidding war or anything, but everyone always needs more KPFs. Someone will rookie him at the very least.

Aug 31, 2010
Port Adelaide Oval
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Magpies
If he did come good elsewhere I'd be genuinely happy for him. It's pretty hideous that in his time with us he's gone from star of the future to freakshow. I don't like the idea that his time at Port is leaving him mentally scarred, and if going elsewhere is what it takes to reverse that I can live with it. But getting him somewhere else is problematic, hard to see anyone approaching us wanting him at present.
I'm just thinking worse scenario. I believed he has the makings of a gun player, and if he did come to fruition at another club, how would you explain it? Bad coaching on our part, or he doesn't want to be here. Has to be one or the other. How would his confidence grow all of a sudden at another club?

Of course i would be very happy for him to succeed wherever he plays, he's that type of lad.

Hinkley Effect

Team Captain
Mar 20, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
My worse fear is Butch ends up at another club and tears it up, and tears us a new one when he plays us. If it does happen, its confirmed he never wanted to be here.
That wouldnt confirm he didnt want to be here... it would closer confirm that he had significant mental demons and needed a change of scenery to help overcome them.

Aug 31, 2010
Port Adelaide Oval
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Magpies
That wouldnt confirm he didnt want to be here... it would closer confirm that he had significant mental demons and needed a change of scenery to help overcome them.
Thats a fair call and i hope so. Im just thinking and typing out aloud. As i said, it would be my worse fear. I still hold hopes.

Willsy10

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 3, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Has just about blown any chance of playing another game this year, probably only needed 2 or 3 and he would've been strongly considered. He has to be behind Shaw now. I feel for Butch i really do, and i worry about his mental demons and the talent that could be going to waste. His performance on the weekend was unfortunate for everyone associated with the PAFC.

Will we see him in a Power guernsey again is the question?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back