Butter versus margarine (plus spuds - the edible variety)

Remove this Banner Ad

[***Mod edit: posts moved from the 'Vent' thread***]

My friends have a list on their fridge called 'Things I hate'. I get a lot of inspiration from that, e.g:
  • plastic cutlery
  • coffee in paper cups
  • margarine
After that it gets a bit political.

Last edited:
My friends have a list on their fridge called 'Things I hate'. I get a lot of inspiration from that, e.g:
  • plastic cutlery
  • coffee in paper cups
  • margarine
After that it gets a bit political.
What's wrong with margarine? Much more practical than butter straight out of the fridge and tastes better in my opinion.

What's wrong with margarine? Much more practical than butter straight out of the fridge and tastes better in my opinion.

Nah. Its horrible. Tastes like plastic.

I would also add 'supermarket salads' to the hate list on the fridge.

Real butter stays fairly emulsified out of the fridge up here in sunny Queensland, even on hot days. If it hits 35°C I whack it in the fridge and then when needed nuke it for 8 seconds.

If you really are a health nut check this out. I'd be biased if I posted only one side of an argument so here is the other perspective.

Real butter stays fairly emulsified out of the fridge up here in sunny Queensland, even on hot days. If it hits 35°C I whack it in the fridge and then when needed nuke it for 8 seconds.

If you really are a health nut check this out. I'd be biased if I posted only one side of an argument so here is the other perspective.
I am aware that butter is not the health scourge it was once considered to be. I simply like the convenience of margarine, able to be pulled from a fridge and spread.

I am aware that butter is not the health scourge it was once considered to be. I simply like the convenience of margarine, able to be pulled from a fridge and spread.
You know there are tubs of spreadable butter available, right?

I can't believe its not butter is not real spreadable butter.

There is real spreadable butter available now from various brands.

If you can afford to eat almost pure fat then butter is great. Unfortunately I don't have that luxury.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you can afford to eat almost pure fat then butter is great. Unfortunately I don't have that luxury.
Both margarine and butter contain roughly 80% fat. There is debate as to whether the fat in butter is worse or not.

It's best to eat either only sparingly.

Both margarine and butter contain roughly 80% fat. There is debate as to whether the fat in butter is worse or not.

It's best to eat either only sparingly.
For me it is not a matter of which is healthier or contains less fat. It is a matter of taste. And butter tastes better. Margarine tastes synthetic.
Not actually venting anything. Just posting for the sake of posting.

For me it is not a matter of which is healthier or contains less fat. It is a matter of taste. And butter tastes better. Margarine tastes synthetic.
Margarine is synthetic

Am likely to be in a small minority, but I can't stand the taste of butter, it tastes artificial to me, the taste is just crook somehow. Horses for courses.

Am likely to be in a small minority, but I can't stand the taste of butter, it tastes artificial to me, the taste is just crook somehow. Horses for courses.
Yeah absolutely. If you prefer the taste then go for it.
I love blue vein cheese for example yet it makes many people dry wretch.

I try not to use either but when I have toast I prefer the taste of light olive oil margarine over butter. I grew up on a dairy farm and love my dairy products except butter. Personal preference.

What a riveting conversation this is.

Give me butter any day :p

In that case. How good are my taste buds. Spotted it.
Not sure how it was in Italy MG but over here things like Margarine don't sell. People like fresh and natural ingredients. I imagine it would have been similar in Italy
Yes it was similar otto

I try not to use either but when I have toast I prefer the taste of light olive oil margarine over butter. I grew up on a dairy farm and love my dairy products except butter. Personal preference.

What a riveting conversation this is.
You know Good Old instead of using olive oil margarine you could just drizzle some nice extra virgin olive oil on your toast. Mmmmmm. İs good.

Thread officially hijacked.

I love it. Still the jury is out either way and it all comes down to moderation. If we all cared enough we'd be using avocados as a spread.

I use avocado most of the time.

Thread officially hijacked.

I love it. Still the jury is out either way and it all comes down to moderation. If we all cared enough we'd be using avocados as a spread.
with butter :)
yum

Remove this Banner Ad

Back