Buying a Suit in Melbourne!?!?

Harvey Leadpipe

Premiership Player
Sep 22, 2004
Deep in the Bullring
AFL Club
Richmond
Got a flyer for a joint called Bespoked who said they could whip up tailor made suits for $500 as a sale price, so I gave them a bash. Seriously give them a thought, one business and one formal suit later, better than any expensive suits I've bought off the rack.

Not sure if that price is still on offer though.

May 13, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Barcelona
Better off hopping on a flight with Air Asia, Tiger, <insert budget airliner> and going to Hoi An, Vietnam. Tailors galore and for a package (suit jacket, 2 x pants, couple of shirts, couple of ties) you can get something awesome for under $400 AUD. Add flights + 1 week accomodation + living expenses = your $1000 budget.

edit*: actually that would add up closer to $600 or $700 lol. May as well go for 2 suits.

alfy!

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 24, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Got a flyer for a joint called Bespoked who said they could whip up tailor made suits for $500 as a sale price, so I gave them a bash. Seriously give them a thought, one business and one formal suit later, better than any expensive suits I've bought off the rack.

Seems to be standard on the website, for $499. The site is great, you can design the suit on the site.

Harvey Leadpipe

Premiership Player
Sep 22, 2004
Deep in the Bullring
AFL Club
Richmond
Seems to be standard on the website, for $499. The site is great, you can design the suit on the site.

If you go in they'll measure you up perfectly, suggest the design that best fits you, and keep your details on file.

Most overrated suits I've owned have been Hugo Boss. Country Road suit me best for the known brands, but these feel way more comfortable, look better and are cheaper. The guys from work are all over this joint now too. No complaints so far.

Colin D'Cops

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts Essendon Player Sponsor 2011
Nov 24, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton
Must be a place where you can buy top notch second hand suits. Any recommendations?

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Better off hopping on a flight with Air Asia, Tiger, <insert budget airliner> and going to Hoi An, Vietnam. Tailors galore and for a package (suit jacket, 2 x pants, couple of shirts, couple of ties) you can get something awesome for under $400 AUD. Add flights + 1 week accomodation + living expenses = your $1000 budget.

edit*: actually that would add up closer to $600 or $700 lol. May as well go for 2 suits.
add the duty free grog & smokes you are entitled to even better.

alfy!

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 24, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
If you go in they'll measure you up perfectly, suggest the design that best fits you, and keep your details on file.

Most overrated suits I've owned have been Hugo Boss. Country Road suit me best for the known brands, but these feel way more comfortable, look better and are cheaper. The guys from work are all over this joint now too. No complaints so far.
Do you know whether they make and alter the suits in Melbourne, or send them off somewhere?

got a link to the website?

https://bespoked.com.au/#/home/

Tim the Toolman

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 16, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Beaconsfield Super Rules

Totally agree on the first note. I have had at least 5 Boss suits over the years as I'm a sucker for a brand and every one of them has ripped in the rear right pocket even though I never used that pocket! Don't know about Country Road though as their quality control was never the same since 1990 (showing my age here folks but did have a suit that long ago!).

Right now I'm shopping with Raja whom is a bespoke tailor whom comes over to Australia from Hong Kong every couple of months. At my age (40), bespoke is the only way to go and he's much cheaper for a decent branded cloth than 1k!

Colin D'Cops

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts Essendon Player Sponsor 2011
Nov 24, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton
Right now I'm shopping with Raja whom is a bespoke tailor whom comes over to Australia from Hong Kong every couple of months.

Could you notify me via PM when this guy is over from HK?

Looking at getting a suit, may as well get one made to my exact measurements.

TownleyTime

Club Legend
Suspended
Oct 18, 2010
Abbotsford
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
University Blues. The Panthers.....
Have alway stuck with Rembrandt's from DJ's. Quality suits for around $600, you get quality & the cheaper price (per say) is due to the exchange rate (are made in N.Z).

Feb 2, 2001
Valhalla
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
VFL Magpies
I always avoid paying full retail for suits and shirts, which won't help you now. Depends on how desperate you need it.

Quite like suits from Cubec in Flinders Lane and Little Collins Street. Very good cut and hard wearing whilst still being light. Aussie made. Have had a few suits from them and they've lasted ages.

Never bought any work related stuff online, so can't comment on the above suggestions.

http://www.buy-suits-online.com/

custom made Studio Italia suits from $350 - $700. what's more they'll go to you to measure you up

I'm liking these two, that enables me to get measured up properly.

Aug 3, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton
I'm only 21, but i think people underrate off the rack suits. You can get some very nice stuff at Myer on Lonsdale St if you look hard enough. My Dom Bagnato i got in July is fantastic.

If you are going to Hoi An, Vietnam.....go to Yali tailors. They're more expensive, but there are some absolute shockers in that city. Best stick with Yali because you know you'll get quality.

checkraiseulite

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 23, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I'm only 21, but i think people underrate off the rack suits. You can get some very nice stuff at Myer on Lonsdale St if you look hard enough. My Dom Bagnato i got in July is fantastic.

Agree with this pretty much.

If you are regular height/weight with normal proportions and aren't willing to spend >$1k I think an off the rack suit is fine, especially if you are young.

Have seen some absolute shockers (cardboard shoulder pads/shiny polyester/shoddy workmanship etc) that people have got from internet based/SE asian tailors. Obviously there are exceptions, but whatever.

If you are smart with where and when you buy you should be able to get a decent suit for around $5-600, perhaps even less.

Oxford has been pretty good, they have regular sales.

Caesar

Ex-Huckleberry
Mar 3, 2005
Tombstone, AZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Yes, off-the-rack suits are fine for most people. When you purchase a tailored or bespoke suit then you compromise on quality if you've got a modest budget. I own a good suit that had a sticker price of $1,200, and two work suits, both which had a sticker price of $800. All were off the rack and altered, all fit very well, and I didn't pay full price for any of them.

Personally I don't like to buy suits at department stores, though. A good tailor is worth his weight in gold - they take serious pride in ensuring you get the right suit (not just the most expensive) and that you look great in it. Mine provides free alterations to his regular customers.

Back