Play Nice Bye bye Brad

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I gots to laugh at those who pop into this thread to voice their displeasure at it. If this thread gives yah the shits, then the smart thing to do is to not pop into it. Oh but some posters just can't help themselves. :stern look

It reminds me of a US shock jock that apparently a fair amount of his listeners only listened to complain.

I call it the Howard Stern:look!

No flag, no extension.

Maybe a GF appearance and I'd wilt for another year, but anything less and he can sit on his current contract for one more year. Wheels can fall off quickly and given the age of our squad it is a possibility.
Sorry, but the "no flag, no extension" performance indicator is ridiculous, unreasonable and will not be a factor when it comes to an extension. It's not like Brad is sitting on close to 1 million a year like Malthouse was and Roos and Lyon currently are. The 4 weeks Brad missed have been a blessing in disguise! He got a whole different view watching the game on TV as opposed to coaching in person like people like you and me do as members/supporters/spectators and he has adapted and changed how he goes about coaching, the 7 wins in a row (albeit against 6 lowly ranked and the top ranked side) is proof.

It reminds me of a US shock jock that apparently a fair amount of his listeners only listened to complain.

I call it the Howard Stern:look!
There's a Devil Fish-ism if I've ever seen one!

Fair enough. The two pathetic games that kept us out of the top four doesn't include the round one debacle (seemingly the 100th straight season we haven't been prepared for round one), the floggings by Freo and Hawthorn (two sides we beat last year) and the propensity to switch off for lengthy periods (Sydney, Melbourne, St Kilda, Port, Carlton, *). Hence why people don't actually feel that the side has improved - in fact if you put our body of work to date against 2014 I have no idea how you could think we've even maintained it, let alone improved.

it's all well and good saying we need to back the coach, give him every opportunity etc, but have we not already done that? If the mental issues still exist under this coach after six years, why would they suddenly not after seven or eight?

This all seems very selective
wot about the glorious win against the wind v WC
tiggers win was good and beating the cats twice and down there too
the port game was a good game of footy and we got within a goal of the swans

maybe the switching off is just an indication that they actually know how to win

and aren't you re-writing history on last yr
most thought we were a good average side that lucked out a bit in the Finals
in hindsight, a beautiful thing, we carried adams and black all year

to me everything is going to plan
most younger players have improved jmac Jacobs tazz Sammy cunners jz goldy
and higgo and waite playing a full season, someone has to be patted on the back for that

Sorry, but the "no flag, no extension" performance indicator is ridiculous, unreasonable and will not be a factor when it comes to an extension. It's not like Brad is sitting on close to 1 million a year like Malthouse was and Roos and Lyon currently are.
Go back and look at his comparison to Laidley and maybe you'll understand it's not so ridiculous.

BTW I'm happy to pay the coach a million IF he's getting the most out of the list and genuinely pushing for the premiership. Currently not the case.

Why are people so keen to extend his contract (with expires at the end of next season)? He's achieved two fifths of SFA in almost six seasons.

pretty debatable point tpa
players can and will play for longer becos there is so much money in the game
and the training and management is so much better
petrie and waite these guys are pretty impressive physically
nds Harvey incredibly resilient

I think all 4 have another 2 years in em

I don't suppose a mod can change the tag to 'play nice' or perhaps even 'won't someone think of the children'.

I'm a fan of some good debate but there's bugger all of it here. Too many people are grinding axes and holding grudges against other posters. The stuff directed at brad is pretty tame in comparison.

:rainbow::footy::rainbow:

I don't suppose a mod can change the tag to 'play nice' or perhaps even 'won't someone think of the children'.

I'm a fan of some good debate but there's bugger all of it here. Too many people are grinding axes and holding grudges against other posters. The stuff directed at brad is pretty tame in comparison.

:rainbow::footy::rainbow:

8 wins...win v top team..nekminit ..thread still on Page 1.

Damn you Scotts.

Go back and look at his comparison to Laidley and maybe you'll understand it's not so ridiculous.

BTW I'm happy to pay the coach a million IF he's getting the most out of the list and genuinely pushing for the premiership. Currently not the case.

Why are people so keen to extend his contract (with expires at the end of next season)? He's achieved two fifths of SFA in almost six seasons.
Your attitude is that AFL flags are easily achievable and that is Scott's only KPI which I stated earlier is ridiculous and unreasonable. What's Laidley got to do with Scott? If anything Scott has achieved the same if not more than Laidley which makes the comparison useless and irrelevant. Let's say we don't win a flag before the end of next year, who replaces Scott? If you say Archer, King, Carey, Malthouse, Worsfold or any someone along those lines, you are wanting to fall and fall hard! I'd rather stay competitive by finishing between 4th and 8th as opposed to the bottom 6-8.

This all seems very selective
wot about the glorious win against the wind v WC
tiggers win was good and beating the cats twice and down there too
the port game was a good game of footy and we got within a goal of the swans

maybe the switching off is just an indication that they actually know how to win

and aren't you re-writing history on last yr
most thought we were a good average side that lucked out a bit in the Finals
in hindsight, a beautiful thing, we carried adams and black all year

to me everything is going to plan
most younger players have improved jmac Jacobs tazz Sammy cunners jz goldy
and higgo and waite playing a full season, someone has to be patted on the back for that

I guess it comes down to where you feel the current list should be. It may be selective but at the end of the day the fact you can still easily select both good wins and shitful losses just underlines we are in the same spot we have been for a while now. Our best is good enough, our worst is awful and you still can't pick exactly when it will happen (both week to week and quarter to quarter).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we are consistently in the last 6, preferably the last 4 then we can give ourselves a chance. I believe that Brad gives us the best chance to do that.

Fair enough. The two pathetic games that kept us out of the top four doesn't include the round one debacle (seemingly the 100th straight season we haven't been prepared for round one), the floggings by Freo and Hawthorn (two sides we beat last year) and the propensity to switch off for lengthy periods (Sydney, Melbourne, St Kilda, Port, Carlton, *). Hence why people don't actually feel that the side has improved - in fact if you put our body of work to date against 2014 I have no idea how you could think we've even maintained it, let alone improved.

it's all well and good saying we need to back the coach, give him every opportunity etc, but have we not already done that? If the mental issues still exist under this coach after six years, why would they suddenly not after seven or eight?

Its not a question of them still existing its whether there is a significant improvement that points to them not being an issue in the following 2 seasons and then onward into the future.

I think this side has finally clicked. Obviously the next 2 games are the next test but they just passed the last one.

7 games in a row - first time since 1999, and we lost the first game of the year just like 1999 so there's 2 good omens - and of those 7 games we beat Geelong, who may play finals, by 7 goals, everyone else by five or 10 - people may say we played badly against weak opposition but we still won those games by at least five goals and some by over 10. Then we took the absolute best the ladder leading side had to throw at us, shook it off, ran them down, took them on and beat them. In those 7 games we have had to show things we didn't show in the preceding period, where we could have lost it we didn't.

This time last year we'd won 12 games. Right now its 13 so we're ahead there. We are a realistic chance of winning the last 2 games of the year, and even if we only win one then we'll still have maintained our H&A performance. We are finishing this season stronger than last at this point. I expect us to perform well in the finals. Apart from one bad game we did well in the finals last year. I think we'll still make a prelim at least and maybe not get our backsides kicked in this time.

The club's problems are not just due to Brad Scott either. Lets face it, since 1999 things have gone pear shaped in a big way. What happened with Wayne Carey, then admin uncertainty and uncertainty over the clubs future for most of the 00s. I think the club is still recovering from that and it affects the players. One of the best ways to deal with this and recover is stability. Another is confidence and this winning streak should give the side some confidence. We're gaining confidence and we need stability.

This is why i think giving Scott an extension till the end of 2017 is worthwhile.

8 wins...win v top team..nekminit ..thread still on Page 1.

Damn you Scotts.

There are still valid reasons to post in this thread, and there is nothing wrong with robust discussions about the direction we might take in regard to our head coach even if we are doing well at the moment. It's just unfortunate that a lot of us probably associate this thread with some of the more extreme posts we've seen in it when the team has been at it's worse. I think the natural association between this thread and that kind of horror/disgust/anger just drags the place down a bit. Don't get me wrong, there is a lot of productive debate happening, but I've never seen another thread with quite so much... Bitterness. And it's not the fact it's being directed at Brad that gets to me, rather the fact most of it is directed at other posters. I'm not saying we need to all hug and make up, maybe sneak in a bum pat or two, but I think some posters should make a bit of an effort to hold back against other posters a bit more. That said everyone is well within their rights to say whatever they think and feel, and this isn't me telling people what to do, it's merely my own opinion. IMO it just makes this thread a lot less productive than it could be (and a bit depressing to be honest).

Your attitude is that AFL flags are easily achievable and that is Scott's only KPI which I stated earlier is ridiculous and unreasonable. What's Laidley got to do with Scott? If anything Scott has achieved the same if not more than Laidley which makes the comparison useless and irrelevant. Let's say we don't win a flag before the end of next year, who replaces Scott? If you say Archer, King, Carey, Malthouse, Worsfold or any someone along those lines, you are wanting to fall and fall hard! I'd rather stay competitive by finishing between 4th and 8th as opposed to the bottom 6-8.
Being content with 4th-8th is accepting mediocrity. If you're not trying to win flags you shouldn't be at the club. Reality is you either move forwards or fall backwards. We've fallen backwards this year (if we don't make the GF).

Why rush to extend his contract before achieving anything of substance?

Fair enough. I disagree and think we're just wasting time and veteran player years, but opinions are like arseholes - everyone has one.

Actually, a kid in my wife's mother's group was born without an a-hole. Not sure if he had an opinion though.

Anyway, he had surgery to get a hole added...or maybe get a piece of his butt removed.....not sure which.

So I guess you're probably right, but for at least a day or two (between the kid being born and him getting his surgical butthole) you were wrong. On the other hand, that all happened before your post, so you we're probably right after all.

Sack Scotts!

Being content with 4th-8th is accepting mediocrity. If you're not trying to win flags you shouldn't be at the club. Reality is you either move forwards or fall backwards. We've fallen backwards this year (if we don't make the GF).

We over achieved last year so that doesn't mean we must make or win a GF or consider this year a failure. We wont win the flag or even make the GF this year. I didnt say I was content with 4th to 8th, I said I would rather stay 4th to 8th instead of falling back into the bottom 6. If you could choose either of those two options, what option would you pick. There is still alot of water to flow under the bridge between right now and July-September 2016 or when re-signing or terminating the coaches contract happens. At this moment, we have been playing some crap football in patches and still walking away winners for the last 7 weeks. Imagine when we "click" and string of complete games

Why did we overachieve? We finished exactly where we deserved to.

The only reason I can think of saying we overachieved is to somehow justify doing worse this season.

Why? Accepting mediocrity is exactly why..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back