David King. :stern look

frabz-You-just-made-the-List-buddy-8b2ba1_1_zps3uzpkh3c.jpg

Deadeyeroo

Cancelled
May 18, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Forget Kingy but we definitely are in desperate need of a decent head coach, then again we've all known that for a few years now. I can't see Brad turning into a Bomber Thompson with some of the players we have.

nicko74

Premiership Player
Nov 29, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Bolton from Hawthorn.... Or anybody from Hawthorn. Simpson has stamped Hawthorn all over the Eagles. Someone from their system. Don't care who it is

nicko74

Premiership Player
Nov 29, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Just checked their assistant coaches. Brett Ratten, Cameron Bruce. They will do. Don't think Ratten was actually that bad personally

Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
Having dropped into Arden St during the week (last week)… players were training but NOT o_O quite the way I expected. They were kicking dinky passes between themselves.. non-contact 'la-de-da style' that I can assure is more about 'pats on the back.. she'll be right mac' mindset than the style of running in two's and threes with oncoming traffic to pressure. That was evident on Sat night.

Train like you play and it rubs off. The soft approach 'la-de-da footy' is embarrassing and counter productive for AFL level. :thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

If this team who are a shadow of last years team want to get a wriggle on, it's all about HARD WORK for FOUR quarters. It's that simple. The season is not lost yet.

...and to think we narrowly missed out on thay Cafe. ..imagine it if it were there.

Stine look.

we could sit down with a latte and enjoy watching the boys run really really hard, and do kick to kick and all that other stuff that makes great football teams like winning paper rock scissor.

Woodson's La De Das (also a great NZ band from the 70s*) might be able to sip their lattes during training.

* Kevin Borich's band.

Another issue with North at the moment is we don't play to our strengths.

The coaches/players see 2-3 198cm+ guys up forward and just decide to bomb it in long, when we have plenty of smaller players capable of slotting them from HF/CHF areas.

I did a bit of looking a few weeks back regarding heat maps and we literally never kick to the arc of 50 like most of the top teams do (whether they take the kick from there or then look for a closer option). Repeatedly we kick from 60 out to the top of the square and teams have worked it out, they just go up in numbers, spoil the ball and then have the excess there to crumb.

We score when we get a run on and the forward 50 is less congested because we can hit up these targets.

You'd think Higgins burying goals from 50 every week would be a kick up the pants to the coaching staff that we're doing it wrong generally.

Deadeyeroo

Cancelled
May 18, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Just checked their assistant coaches. Brett Ratten, Cameron Bruce. They will do. Don't think Ratten was actually that bad personally
Yeah i dont think Rattens a bad choice either. You can see how much Carlton went downhill after he left. He should have improved a lot being in the Hawthorn system.

The coaches/players see 2-3 198cm+ guys up forward and just decide to bomb it in long, when we have plenty of smaller players capable of slotting them from HF/CHF areas.

I did a bit of looking a few weeks back regarding heat maps and we literally never kick to the arc of 50 like most of the top teams do (whether they take the kick from there or then look for a closer option). Repeatedly we kick from 60 out to the top of the square and teams have worked it out, they just go up in numbers, spoil the ball and then have the excess there to crumb.

We score when we get a run on and the forward 50 is less congested because we can hit up these targets.

You'd think Higgins burying goals from 50 every week would be a kick up the pants to the coaching staff that we're doing it wrong generally.
Your absolutely right. Our record is horrible with Majak in the team also. He is a beacon in the forward line and demands too much ball.

Not neccesary all on the coaches but they've been in the caper more than a couple seasons so no excuses can be offered.

Yes, it takes time for a game plan / tactical set ups to sink in (for kids) but to allow thumping losses to lesser teams mid season says more about the following factors:

1. How many players are switched on game day. Need 18 at least.
2. Knowing the opposition weaknesses / match ups to exploit.
3. Was training catered during the week to bring the team back up to speed (literally) after a week off?
4. What was learned from the last time they played against the opposition?

If one of these criteria points are not ticked off... expect a LOSS.

Since preparation wasn't a priority
... guess the 10 goal reality check to a team who were even stone cold motherless doesn't surprise.

Yeah i dont think Rattens a bad choice either. You can see how much Carlton went downhill after he left. He should have improved a lot being in the Hawthorn system.

Your absolutely right. Our record is horrible with Majak in the team also. He is a beacon in the forward line and demands too much ball.

Don't forget Simmo & Hardwick both spent time at Hawthorn. Stuey Dew played for them too.

The Malthouse tactics are dead in the water now. Brad will need to re-invent himself (back to basics?) to pull out inspiring performances for the rest of the year. Need to start playing four quarters (in a game not in a month!!).

I'm ridiculously optimistic but at the same time know this team hasn't fired a shot (playing 4 f**** quarters of relentless footy) this season.

Comebackmick

All Australian
Mar 5, 2003
Kyneton
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Melbourne
Yesterday's insipid performance is just about the last straw for me because it was PREDICTABLE. Why was it predictable? Because I've seen it time and time again with this playing group under Brad Scott, and before Brad joined the club.

I get the impression that Brad's coaching philosophy is centred around positivity, being supportive and player-led teams. I get that. It's exactly the kind of stuff I read in my personal time and try to implement at work. But in Brad's case "it ain't workin' son!"

I have been banging on for the last three or four years that we lack leadership and discipline. I don't see that changing without MAJOR CHANGES at the club.

I'd start with the playing list and be RUTHLESS at the trade table. Anyone who has played 80+ games and known to be mentally weak, lazy or undisciplined should be moved on - regardless of talent. Anybody who wouldn't or couldn't get a game at Hawthorn, Sydney or Freo in that bracket should be moved on. I would be more patient with young and less experienced players.

Doing this would give us the ability to trade for one or two ABSOLUTE GUNS and free up salary cap space for poaching one or two others. Importantly we could recruit guys with leadership capabilities much like we did in the 1970s under the ten year rule.

This is not about instilling fear but ENFORCING STANDARDS. You should only be on the list if you live up to the STANDARDS required. Our list is a sad f*cking joke at the minute in that regard (if the players don't know what those standards are then the whole football department can get up and leave).

If Brad and the football department are willing to do this then I wouldn't be making major changes in the off-season regarding the coaching staff. He backed in the players, they've let him down REPEATEDLY, now move some on. If Brad is unwilling to do this then he should be moved on too. If we have another horrid year in 2016 then make some changes in the coaching box.

But make no mistake this is not about aberrations or gastro or some weak excuse for a bad performance, this is an endemic problem at the club and if those at the club cannot see it and admit it then we will not improve.

/end rant
Totally agree.
In summary - Play for the jumper or piss off, whoever you are.

Deadeyeroo

Cancelled
May 18, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Not neccesary all on the coaches but they've been in the caper more than a couple seasons so no excuses can be offered.

Yes, it takes time for a game plan / tactical set ups to sink in (for kids) but to allow thumping losses to lesser teams mid season says more about the following factors:

1. How many players are switched on game day. Need 18 at least.
2. Knowing the opposition weaknesses / match ups to exploit.
3. Was training catered during the week to bring the team back up to speed (literally) after a week off?
4. What was learned from the last time they played against the opposition?

If one of these criteria points are not ticked off... expect a LOSS.

Since preparation wasn't a priority
... guess the 10 goal reality check to a team who were even stone cold motherless doesn't surprise.
How hard is it to go man on man when the opposition gets 15 or 20 points in front?

Dec 7, 2011
Wentz Wagon
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He started with a very young inexperienced side, that was kid heavy and when we won Wells, Boomer and Drew had to have blinders. It's been a slow burn but Brad has accomplished more or equalled those that came before came before him pre Pagan's coaching era. He has made our club a place that players like Dal Santo, Higgins, Waite, Jacobs among others want to come to and one that our most important players want to stay at. Our membership is at a record high, we are climbing out of debt at a rapid pace, we haven't had numerous top 5 or priority picks like a Collingwood and Hawthorn. I could go on for hours. What ticks me off is all I heard after we smashed Essendon in the second half of that final, the praise was all towards the players and how hard they worked and no appreciation for Brad's coaching effort but when we lose, the players become not guilty and untouchable and everyone wants the blood or head of the coach.

Get back to work Brad :thumbsu:

Don't forget Simmo & Hardwick both spent time at Hawthorn. Stuey Dew played for them too.

The Malthouse tactics are dead in the water now. Brad will need to re-invent himself (back to basics?) to pull out inspiring performances for the rest of the year. Need to start playing four quarters (in a game not in a month!!).

I'm ridiculously optimistic but at the same time know this team hasn't fired a shot (playing 4 f**** quarters of relentless footy) this season.

"Relentless" - there's another good word that rarely applies to us, along with "maniacal" and "fanatical" and a few others. These words describe the style of play of lots of teams, but not us.

We can play this way, e.g. the first quarter of our first game against the Dogs last year, but we seem to choose not to.

Sep 11, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
All Brad is, is a great politician

In the media he says all the right things to get the monkey off his back and bringing up the whole "shinboner spirit" crap is just another way of making the public think we are a ruthless team when deep down we are nearly the softest bunch of *****

All his pressers and the players interviews are the same ol recycled fluff

We ain't going anywhere and haven't been for the past 6 years and it will NOT change until we get a full clean out of the coaches and the staff. I can sense the vibe from zeibels recent interview he was also not heaps stoked to have Brad back

Until he is gone nothing will change, ever.

Similar to the Hird situation and Malthouse sacking. Once the players stop playing for their coach, their leader, their head honcho, it's DONE. Time to move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back