Cabinet Shuffle - 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

A thread for the shuffle.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/na...government-house/story-fni0xqrb-1227164880085

TONY ABBOTT’s new-look Ministry will be sworn in today at a ceremony at Government House.
Two days after announcing his revamped team, the Prime Minister will this morning present his colleagues who are taking up new roles to the Governor General.

CABINET RESHUFFLE: Sussan Ley promoted, David Johnston axed

It’s the first swearing in ceremony for Sir Peter Cosgrove, since he replaced Dame Quentin Bryce.

Current Minister Scott Morrison will pick up the Social Services portfolio, handing Immigration to Peter Dutton.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-12-...t-over-achievement-for-women-comments/5982948

Deputy Liberal leader Julie Bishop has defended Prime Minister Tony Abbott for nominating the carbon tax repeal as one of his achievements for women in the past year.

During an interview on The Today Show to promote his "refreshed" ministry, Mr Abbott was asked to nominate his biggest achievement for women, as he is also the Minister for Women.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-12-...huffle-built-on-paranoia-not-progress/5982500

Ministry reshuffle built on paranoia, not progress
By Paula Matthewson
Updated yesterday at 10:32amMon 22 Dec 2014, 10:32am

Tony Abbott's ministry reshuffle may appear to be a reset in preparation for 2015, but in reality it is more about the PM's paranoia and tenuous leadership than it is about his Government's rejuvenation, writes Paula Matthewson.

GuruJane

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts RIP
Feb 18, 2003
home of the mighty sa
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn, Tottenham
Very good to start a thread on this issue on the Politics Board, Chief. Not that many seem to want to put their minds to it. :)

fwiw - my analysis which is there is not much of a mystery to them.

Substantial majority of Abbott's appointments are clearly intended to seriously beef up communications/salespersonship on the economy for 2015: namely:

Frydenberg to Asst Treasurer,
O'Dwyer Parl Sec to Treasury,
Christian Porter Parl Sec to PM's,
Karen Andrews to science in the Trade portfolio,
Morrison to social services.
Ley to Health ( where she will be making the argument for the copayment based on economic sustainability imperative).
Even Ciobo as Parl Sec to FA and Trade appears intended to beef economic messaging.

Andrews elevation to Parl Sec for Science is the least remarked upon but most significant imv. Abbott has found not only a science credentialled spokesperson but a woman as well to sell the message. O'Dwyer, a woman, will be selling the treasury message. And Sussan Ley, a woman selling arguably the most difficult - the co payment.

Whether this can get them out of the rut, of course, is a different question.

Abbott will try to make his mark by trying to get tough on Social Security. Typical bully sending in his bully mate Morriscum to do the dirty work, can't take on business with a crackdown on tax deductions, can't win the fight on health reform, can't screw over uni students, the only other soft target left is disadvantaged Australians. Destined for failure, just like all his other brilliant ideas as soon as the population clues in to what he really wants to do.

Just continues the narrative of his war against the disadvantaged.

Unfortunately he still can't find a woman in cabinet good enough to be the Minister for Women. They must all be too busy doing household budgets and ironing.

Nov 17, 2013
Victoria
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Sheffield Wednesday
'We will decide who comes to Centrelink, and the circumstances in which they claim' (not mine)

Of the major changes, there's a net gain of Sussan Ley at the expense of David Johnston, which, personnel wise, is a win in my books

Although it's a fairly terrifying situation if you're yearning for Kevin Andrews to return as Social Services Minister.

Fairly smart move from Abbott, politically. Rather than moving Morrison straight into Defence, putting him in Social Services will seriously hurt his popularity and neutralise him as a threat to Abbott's PMship.

'We will decide who comes to Centrelink, and the circumstances in which they claim' (not mine)

Of the major changes, there's a net gain of Sussan Ley at the expense of David Johnston, which, personnel wise, is a win in my books

Although it's a fairly terrifying situation if you're yearning for Kevin Andrews to return as Social Services Minister.

Fairly smart move from Abbott, politically. Rather than moving Morrison straight into Defence, putting him in Social Services will seriously hurt his popularity and neutralise him as a threat to Abbott's PMship.

They hounded the previous government for changing leaders, so they have painted themselves into a corner.
Unfortunately for the LNP none of them are leadership material on exposed form. Worse than that they will all get their cards marked by Abbott's stain having gone along with his lies and deceit for going on 5 years now.

They hounded the previous government for changing leaders, so they have painted themselves into a corner.
They whined about honesty for years - then spent most of their first 12 months breaking promises. Abbott can't be assumed to be safe.

They whined about honesty for years - then spent most of their first 12 months breaking promises. Abbott can't be assumed to be safe.

It's all well and good blaming Abbott, but they were all in lock step behind him. It is not just Abbott that has lost the trust of the ordinary person. The whole government needs to do an about face. They can't because their paymasters won't allow it.
Abbott will try to get as much as possible of his agenda through, like Howard he will get away with whatever he can for now.
Make no mistake, the end game is to corporatise everything.

GuruJane

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts RIP
Feb 18, 2003
home of the mighty sa
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn, Tottenham

But if Scott Morrison fails and his popularity dives then Abbott's PMship will be well and truly over. How could it be a "smart move".

Seems like everyone on these boards is all in favor of cutting out middle class welfare, but even the prospect of something being done (or even looked at), and it's a war on the disadvantaged.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems like everyone on these boards is all in favor of cutting out middle class welfare, but even the prospect of something being done (or even looked at), and it's a war on the disadvantaged.
I would guess that most don't believe changes to unemployment benefit or DSPs are "middle class welfare". The people receiving these represent the lowest socio-economic group, not the middle tier.

Nov 17, 2013
Victoria
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Sheffield Wednesday
But if Scott Morrison fails and his popularity dives then Abbott's PMship will be well and truly over. How could it be a "smart move".

If the next budget contains massive cuts to welfare (as I'm expecting), the Social Services Minister will wear quite a bit of the blame.

Making Morrison the scapegoat, rather than Andrews, trashes his popularity. That will scupper any chance he had of challenging for the PMship.

Abbott would galvanise the support of the party's right faction, and quash some of the leadership speculation that threatens to destabilise the government.

GuruJane

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts RIP
Feb 18, 2003
home of the mighty sa
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn, Tottenham
If the next budget contains massive cuts to welfare (as I'm expecting), the Social Services Minister will wear quite a bit of the blame.

Making Morrison the scapegoat, rather than Andrews, trashes his popularity. That will scupper any chance he had of challenging for the PMship.

Abbott would galvanise the support of the party's right faction, and quash some of the leadership speculation that threatens to destabilise the government.

Oh yeah? What about all the members in marginal seats :D

GuruJane

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts RIP
Feb 18, 2003
home of the mighty sa
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn, Tottenham
I would guess that most don't believe changes to unemployment benefit or DSPs are "middle class welfare". The people receiving these represent the lowest socio-economic group, not the middle tier.

Nobody getting an entitlement ever believes they are getting "middle class welfare" - except people like me!

btw - once a person is on long term New Start or the DSP they automatically fall into the category of "lowest socio-economic group". I've known a few people in this category in my time including family members - ie once were capable of holding down middle class jobs but then got into the welfare trap and never able to psychologically overcome it.

Look at the type of demopgraphic that follow this man: https://www.facebook.com/scottmorrison4cook/posts/877508388960232

Literally all spaced out grandma's lol I've never seen anything like it!
Thanks for this link, I refreshed my memory of what he said at his maiden speech in Parliament:

"I turn now to the most significant influences on my life – my family and my faith. Family is the stuff of life and there is nothing more precious ... For me, faith is personal, but the implications are social – as personal and social responsibility are at the heart of the Christian message ..."
He drew on the example of William Wilberforce (the great English anti-slavery campaigner). He quoted Desmond Tutu as saying: "we expect Christians ... to be those who stand up for the truth, to stand up for justice, to stand on the side of the poor and the hungry, the homeless and the naked" and was inspired to add: "These are my principles."

Now let's see how he lives up to them, not a good start as Immigration Minister.

AM

The standard you walk past is the one you accept
Aug 18, 2006
Here there and everywhere
AFL Club
Geelong

Unfortunately he still can't find a woman in cabinet good enough to be the Minister for Women. They must all be too busy doing household budgets and ironing.
Credit where credit is due. He has doubled the number of women in Cabinet.:rolleyes:

little graham

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Sep 18, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide

What is needed is to end the upper class welfare, that includes corporate welfare. While everyone caught up with ISIS and domestic violence, dole bludger bashing , they get away with it.

it was needed before this gov introduced more upper class welfare and declared war on anyone trying to rise out of lower classes.

Thanks for this link, I refreshed my memory of what he said at his maiden speech in Parliament:

"I turn now to the most significant influences on my life – my family and my faith. Family is the stuff of life and there is nothing more precious ... For me, faith is personal, but the implications are social – as personal and social responsibility are at the heart of the Christian message ..."
He drew on the example of William Wilberforce (the great English anti-slavery campaigner). He quoted Desmond Tutu as saying: "we expect Christians ... to be those who stand up for the truth, to stand up for justice, to stand on the side of the poor and the hungry, the homeless and the naked" and was inspired to add: "These are my principles."

Now let's see how he lives up to them, not a good start as Immigration Minister.

Morriscum is just as bad as Abbott. Whatever he says is the complete opposite of how he acts.
He was a director of the NSW Liberal Party, which should tell you enough. Have a google about his preselection.
The man is as low a human being as there is.

Morriscum is just as bad as Abbott. Whatever he says is the complete opposite of how he acts.
He was a director of the NSW Liberal Party, which should tell you enough. Have a google about his preselection.
The man is as low a human being as there is.
Yes have seen that, smear is his middle name.
Liked his latest comment though.
http://www.theshovel.com.au/2014/12/22/scott-morrison-given-portfolio-that-deals-with-human-beings/
Scott Morrison says it will be an exciting and invigorating new challenge to work with real people again, after more than a year in the Immigration portfolio.
??????

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
Nobody getting an entitlement ever believes they are getting "middle class welfare" - except people like me!

btw - once a person is on long term New Start or the DSP they automatically fall into the category of "lowest socio-economic group". I've known a few people in this category in my time including family members - ie once were capable of holding down middle class jobs but then got into the welfare trap and never able to psychologically overcome it.

So what should happen? Just cut the benefit off? Then? I mean what is the process to get the more able ones into work. What sort of work? Where? Will it just appear? What do they live on & pay rent in the mean time?
We've already seen Eric Abetz's pathetic attempt at getting people to double their job applications & him say their are lots of fruit picking jobs.

So how does this xmas miracle transpire?

The outcome of more people in work is the objective for all of us. Its the how, which, when, where that interests me. You know, how do they actually do it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back