Cairns stabbing tragedy

Remove this Banner Ad

Geez if this doesn't give an emergency services worker PTSD, nothing will.

Yeah, I feel for them. A good friend of mine is an ambo and she's seen some horror. The worst was a cot death where a 15yo babysitter was in charge. No question of foul play, but my mate had to sit there with the distraught kid for 3 hours waiting for the parents to come home.

8 kids slashed to death? The ambos here will wear this one bad.

It's interesting how people speak of the event, almost in hushed tones, when a mother kills her children. Federal MP Warren Entsch "it appears that, this is just a tragic personal event and we need to look at it in that context and find out how on earth it occurred and how we can learn from this and hopefully avoid this type of tragedy in the future".

If a father had killed his children we would be looking at headlines about 'a monster', a 'crime too evil to imagine' etc.

It's interesting how people speak of the event, almost in hushed tones, when a mother kills her children. Federal MP Warren Entsch "it appears that, this is just a tragic personal event and we need to look at it in that context and find out how on earth it occurred and how we can learn from this and hopefully avoid this type of tragedy in the future".

If a father had killed his children we would be looking at headlines about 'a monster', a 'crime too evil to imagine' etc.

I've be watching with interest on how they report this and the tone of the public out cry as this unfolds.

So far you're spot on.

Let's see if it matches the reaction to Luke Batty being bashed to death.

Speaking of mental illness . . .

As usual we see conservatives quick to find a way to paint themselves as victims when a tragedy happens.

Sickening and really quite disturbing behaviour.

Speaking of mental illness . . .

As usual we see conservatives quick to find a way to paint themselves as victims when a tragedy happens.

Sickening and really quite disturbing behaviour.

Oh save us oh self rigteous one. If you show us mercy we'll clean your ivory tower for you every day.

Strange how one side is always up in arms about the media and how it reports things yet when other people point out inconsistencies in the media they have a mental illness.

Strange is why anyone would think they need to pick a 'side' with this story.

That is disturbing.

Who is picking a side?

She's a total piece of s**t. Sitting in jail for life is too good for her and a waste of tax payers money.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would, even for second, bf's SRP resident highly vocal contingent of male feminists contemplate making excuses if it is was a father suspected of murdering 8 of his kids?

But when it's a mother, it's got to be lack of sleep, or hormones, or depression, or abuse....we just can't accept the concept of mothers being capable of being straight up evil murderous bitches to there children, despite the fact most murdered kids under the age of five are killed by there own.....

Define 'we'. How many people ITT would you say aren't accepting exactly that, as a percentage?

What are these issues/cultural problems in society, and what is this large group of people you're referring to?
I also don't see what the point of bringing back the death penalty would be. I would've thought that having the death penalty would be more indicitive of societal/cultural problems. Just look at the US.

A lot of people who have been for whatever reason denied/not had opportunities to feel a part of and connected to society and as such are feeling alienated and angry. Predominant groups I'm referring to are those who are low socio economic status, unemployable and near poverty who just do not have an avenue with which they see themselves surviving. The cultural problems I have no idea what the causes are, there are probably hundreds. Yet crimes like these are becoming more and more frequent as to not be a one off.

Same thing that has been happening since time began.
Oh save us oh self rigteous one. If you show us mercy we'll clean your ivory tower for you every day.

Strange how one side is always up in arms about the media and how it reports things yet when other people point out inconsistencies in the media they have a mental illness.

Who is picking a side?

She's a total piece of s**t. Sitting in jail for life is too good for her and a waste of tax payers money.
It is interesting how people like you are responding. At the moment all I can feel is a deep sadness for the loss of 8 young lives imagining the fear and pain they must have experienced.
I look at my grand-children aged 8 and 10 and think of them at the various ages, where they look up to you full of trust and love and don't understand what would drive an adult to harm them.
I have no idea what is in people's minds when they take another life, whether it be mental illness, alcohol, drugs or a combination, I don't have an answer.
How a parent can do this is beyond me, as I know of many couples that have spent a fortune on IVF just to have one child.

It's one of those questions to which I have never been able to come up with a good answer for, do you have to be mad to kill someone? The Farquarson case was one of those when I thought he was sure to be found not guilty through diminished responsibility, just because of the nature of the crime. This case is another where the circumstances suggest there were external issues in play, but until we know the full story, everything is conjecture.

It's one of those questions to which I have never been able to come up with a good answer for, do you have to be mad to kill someone? The Farquarson case was one of those when I thought he was sure to be found not guilty through diminished responsibility, just because of the nature of the crime. This case is another where the circumstances suggest there were external issues in play, but until we know the full story, everything is conjecture.

People who kill for greed or power are often not in the slightest bit mad. They are clear minded and calculated.

Yeah, I feel for them. A good friend of mine is an ambo and she's seen some horror. The worst was a cot death where a 15yo babysitter was in charge. No question of foul play, but my mate had to sit there with the distraught kid for 3 hours waiting for the parents to come home.

8 kids slashed to death? The ambos here will wear this one bad.

After I left school I worked on a railway station in Sydney for a couple of years. The station I worked on was a home base for train drivers. Occasionally a driver would come in distraught because someone had jumped in front of the train. It affected me just seeing how distraught they were. I can't imagine having to experience something like that.

After I left school I worked on a railway station in Sydney for a couple of years. The station I worked on was a home base for train drivers. Occasionally a driver would come in distraught because someone had jumped in front of the train. It affected me just seeing how distraught they were. I can't imagine having to experience something like that.

My Mrs is in the ambos and not long back had to deal with a mother who's child had died due to neglect.

Mother was being transported to hospital and was blubbering and looking for sympathy trying to make excuses for what had happened.

The other half just threw some tissues at her and told her to "shut the * up" and "I don't give a * what you have to say".

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back