Redgum

All Australian
Oct 5, 2004
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Freo Footy Club
Freo should throw everything at him to get here for 2017 as his contract with Essendon expires at the end of this year I believe.
He probably will want to get away from Essendon after this and he would be an enormous get for us. They should get into him right now.

And if we win the premiership Bondy should be given the right to throw you and the other critics of him off Big Footy for life. Ha ha

I was being sarcastic. I'm not delusional, we can try our very best to snag him but when it comes down to it, it's his decision.

That being said Hooker would be a massive pick up for us. I would love him playing a lead up CHF role, we need somebody capable in that role.

It'll be a firesale at Essendon - they will have legal issues for years to come. Tbh they actually may be keen to 'inject' youth in next year as realistically they will be on the slow re-build - no team could recover quick from something like this. Draft picks could be that option

Assuming he's what 26-27 by the end of the year. Very real chance all parties will entertain it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was being sarcastic. I'm not delusional, we can try our very best to snag him but when it comes down to it, it's his decision.

That being said Hooker would be a massive pick up for us. I would love him playing a lead up CHF role, we need somebody capable in that role.
I knew you were being sarcastic so was I in my reply. ha ha

The players will be paid under their contract as I read it.
Yes, they get paid their base contract. Just like Crowley did (and any player continues to get paid while suspended).
If any of the contracted Essendon players take legal action against the club (which sounds likely) then I can't see any of them lining up for the club R1 2017.

The players will be paid under their contract as I read it.
How can you pay someone when they cant deliver what they're contracted to do. Heard was paid in the December for the year he was suspended so technically he was paid in the Calendar year before he was suspended. The AFL basically do what they want in any event. So in what your saying will Mark McVeigh who is a GWS assistant coach who is also suspended and cant coach for the suspension period will be paid?

Last edited:
I don't think they'd be looking to offload him, he's one of the players they'd be building their team back up with.

After the way things have gone though, he might not want to be there.

When Ryder was looking to go to Port a number of things were thrown up about the potential for him to potentially rip up his contract. As I'm sure most people know a contract is an agreement between two parties and that in this case there is a clear breach of contract from one side of the agreement (the club). In theory that gives all these players the right to tear up their contact with Essendon and become free agents and/or enter the draft.

There's about 6-7 players there that I could get used to seeing in purple.

How can you pay someone when they cant deliver what they're contracted to do. Heard was paid in the December for the year he was suspended so technically he was paid in the Calendar year he was suspended. The AFL basically do what they want in any event. So in what your saying will Mark McVeigh who is a GWS assistant coach who is also suspended and cant coach for the suspension period will be paid?
Yes, it's a suspension not a deregistration. I'm sure the AFL will pick up the GWS tab . Don't know how the wafl players or their clubs (or Nathan L-M who coaches in a country league) are dealt with though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back