AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
West End Redbacks, Cleveland Browns
Caleb Daniel
Height: 167cm
Weight: 66kg
Position: Midfielder, Forward​

After his last two matches at the U18 Championships, the name on everyone's lips is Caleb Daniel so I figure it's about time I did his profile. For anyone who follows the South Australian U18 scene, nothing about his last two weeks was a surprise. And prior to the Championships, I tipped him to take home MVP honours. Unfortunately, his injury from earlier in the season kept him out of the opening rounds and ultimately the MVP race. But I think it's safe to say he probably would have won, had he played every game.

I'll change things up this time, and start with his weaknesses as a player. And literally the only negative to his game, is the fact that he is 167cm. That's it.

Last year, Daniel started the season in the U18s but quickly worked his way into the South Adelaide league side as a 166cm 16 year old. And he wasn't just making up the numbers, as he finished the league season by playing 10 games and averaging 17 disposals. Unfortunately, he suffered an ankle injury early this season and only made it back onto the park about 6 weeks ago now. And when he did return? Well, his combined two game total of 48 disposals, 13 tackles and a disposal efficiency of around 90% pretty much says it all.

His strengths as a footballer are pretty obvious. And I'll use the SANFL U18 Academy testing results from the start of the year to highlight them. Caleb Daniel finished 1st in the beep test, 5th in the 3km time trial and 5th in the 20m sprint. It's rare that you'll get someone with both the endurance and speed to do that. And it's even rarer when that person is a footballer, not an athlete - as shown by his top 10 finishes in both the handballing and kicking tests. Daniel can run all day, sprint away from the packs and has elite disposal. There is nobody else in this draft that can boast that. And on the park, he is even better. Ball magnet is pretty much the only way of describing him. If he sees the ball, he will inevitably get it - whether he has to go in and win it himself, or run hard to link up on the outside. When he does get the ball, he can pinpoint a short pass or kick it over 50m. And for everyone who uses his size to talk him down, they need to watch him play a lot more. He does not play as though he is 167cm. His ability to stand up in a tackle is Gary Ablett like.

Probably the most pleasing thing for me to come from the Championships, was his form around goals. If I had one question mark on him, it was a lack of a forward game and any player around the 170cm mark will be expected to spend time in a forward pocket. At the start of the year, I would have had Daniel as a midfielder and that's it. But he showed a natural feel for where the goals are, and his tackling pressure as a small forward would be unbelievable at the top level.

So, basically for those who couldn't be bothered reading that, Caleb Daniel is a 167cm version of Gary Ablett and destined to be the #1 pick. Right? Well, no. Obviously his height will hold him back a bit. And it's possible that many recruiters had him as a rookie pick at best coming into the season. But any recruiter who doesn't take note of his Championships performances and start recognising the pure footballing talent should be sacked. Caleb Daniel will not last until the rookie draft. I have no doubts he is top 5 on talent alone, there is nobody with his skill set in this draft. And as a whole, this draft isn't looking great. If someone doesn't pounce in the 3rd round at the absolute latest, I would be very surprised.

Just because there is nobody else his size in the AFL at the moment, it doesn't mean there can't be one. It's just that nobody has ever been as good as Caleb Daniel before.

Last edited:
Caleb Daniel
Height: 167cm
Weight: 66kg
Position: Midfielder, Forward​

After his last two matches at the U18 Championships, the name on everyone's lips is Caleb Daniel so I figure it's about time I did his profile. For anyone who follows the South Australian U18 scene, nothing about his last two weeks was a surprise. And prior to the Championships, I tipped him to take home MVP honours. Unfortunately, his injury from earlier in the season kept him out of the opening rounds and ultimately the MVP race. But I think it's safe to say he probably would have won, had he played every game.

I'll change things up this time, and start with his weaknesses as a player. And literally the only negative to his game, is the fact that he is 167cm. That's it.

Last year, Daniel started the season in the U18s but quickly worked his way into the South Adelaide league side as a 166cm 16 year old. And he wasn't just making up the numbers, as he finished the league season by playing 10 games and averaging 17 disposals. Unfortunately, he suffered an ankle injury early this season and only made it back onto the park about 6 weeks ago now. And when he did return? Well, his combined two game total of 48 disposals, 13 tackles and a disposal efficiency of around 90% pretty much says it all.

His strengths as a footballer are pretty obvious. And I'll use the SANFL U18 Academy testing results from the start of the year to highlight them. Caleb Daniel finished 1st in the beep test, 5th in the 3km time trial and 5th in the 20m sprint. It's rare that you'll get someone with both the endurance and speed to do that. And it's even rarer when that person is a footballer, not an athlete - as shown by his top 10 finishes in both the handballing and kicking tests. Daniel can run all day, sprint away from the packs and has elite disposal. There is nobody else in this draft that can boast that. And on the park, he is even better. Ball magnet is pretty much the only way of describing him. If he sees the ball, he will inevitably get it - whether he has to go in and win it himself, or run hard to link up on the outside. When he does get the ball, he can pinpoint a short pass or kick it over 50m. And for everyone who uses his size to talk him down, they need to watch him play a lot more. He does not play as though he is 167cm. His ability to stand up in a tackle is Gary Ablett like.

Probably the most pleasing thing for me to come from the Championships, was his form around goals. If I had one question mark on him, it was a lack of a forward game and any player around the 170cm mark will be expected to spend time in a forward pocket. At the start of the year, I would have had Daniel as a midfielder and that's it. But he showed a natural feel for where the goals are, and his tackling pressure as a small forward would be unbelievable at the top level.

So, basically for those who couldn't be bothered reading that, Caleb Daniel is a 167cm version of Gary Ablett and destined to be the #1 pick. Right? Well, no. Obviously his height will hold him back a bit. And it's possible that many recruiters had him as a rookie pick at best coming into the season. But any recruiter who doesn't take note of his Championships performances and start recognising the pure footballing talent should be sacked. Caleb Daniel will not last until the rookie draft. I have no doubts he is top 5 on talent alone, there is nobody with his skill set in this draft. And as a whole, this draft isn't looking great. If someone doesn't pounce in the 3rd round at the absolute latest, I would be very surprised.

Just because there is nobody else his size in the AFL at the moment, it doesn't mean there can't be one. It's just that nobody has ever been as good as Caleb Daniel before.

That's a fairly limited highlights package, but gee he looks great. If he was 180 you'd build a club around him haha... I'd love the crows to snap him up

Will be fascinating to see where this guy goes. Could end up being a champion for any club.

Could see a lewis taylor situation going on here. Small dude gets drafted later than he should and plays a very handy role in his first season

Watching the 171(?) cm Jake Neade would give Caleb a bit of hope.

You feel like he'd have to play most, if not all his time as a forward if he's to fit in at the top level, but I see no reason why he couldn't, he's so much stronger in the hips than Neade for one, as well as being a more well rounded prospect.

Daniel can play as a midfielder if he is good enough. I never buy the argument that you are too small - You have good AFL attributes which means you can play at the level

How does he compare to Lachie Neale who seems a similar type of player.

I'm sure OP is probably more equipped to answer this, but just from my perspective can see the similarities. Accumulator of the ball at junior level, not truly fast and a smart footy brain. Lachie Neale does have 9cm on him though.

As another poster said if you have good AFL attributes you can play at that level. But I feel like being so short will limit his effectiveness in the midfield if he ever was to make it there. I see no obvious reason why he can't be a good forward line player who pushes up occasionally.

Really hope this lad gets picked up. Live locally to Noarlunga and have seen him a handful of times, enough to develop a footy crush on him. The kid is an absolute gun.

Have a mate who has played with him at South who can't speak highly enough of him. Says his work ethic is unreal, runs a high 16 beep, elite off both feet and has an amazing sense of awareness around the contest due to his stature allowing him time, space and vision to weave out and hit targets . Had he been 10-15cm taller, he'd be a shoe in for top 5 as mentioned in the original post. I love the kid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Me again - his short legs are actually a blessing. Haven't seen anyone change direction quite like him. Not saying he will become a superstar but he reminds me of Shaun Hart of the Bris lions who used to find the ball at will.

Me again - his short legs are actually a blessing. Haven't seen anyone change direction quite like him. Not saying he will become a superstar but he reminds me of Shaun Hart of the Bris lions who used to find the ball at will.

And he also wears a helmet too!

From what i have seen of him this year, i would love Adelaide to pick him up. Would become a real cult figure.

Any chance he falls to the Hawks at 31? We love a short ass rover.
Entirely up to whether they think he is big enough. A number of people have already posted that, if he were 183 cm tall, he'd be a definite 1st rounder and close to #1. He could well be available at pick #31.
Some of the better informed scribes don't have him going in the top 50! I don't agree, but I do understand why they have that determination.
I'd pick him in a heart beat, which means for certain that Carlton won't be interested.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back