Opinion Call me mad but I think we are going well. I am happy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 1, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
You know all these doomsday threads and posts are not worrying me.

I look at what has happened in the first to rounds and I think, gee there are a lot of average teams about. Sure some are better than average and some well below average but there are no real standouts.

Richmond I think if anything better than average. We are going in the right direction. I look at a team like St Kilda with their youngsters going well and I am thinking gee I am glad we went all in the 2014 draft.

I look at a club like Geelong, and think finally they are getting near the wall and a few others a about to collapse.

I look at a club like Gold Coast and I think wow, talk about a bomb blowing up the joint in terms of reality of whatever issues they have.

I see a club like Carlton looking down the barrel from trying to do the unrealistically impossible via FA and trades and are really are spinning into a wilderness.

Finally, I look at us , bit like GWS but not as much youth upside, bit more maturity, slowly developing away, slight ups and downs but still developing in an upward trend without killing off future upside. I think, you know we are looking pretty for the long run, slow and steady will win this Melbourne Cup of a premiership, I have no doubt in that!:)

I do see positives in the Bulldogs loss. They are on the up, they have youth and are developing, so are we. Therefore we are going in the right direction, we just had a minor slip up. All is well IMO.

Happy days for Tigerland!;)

I look at what has happened in the first to rounds and I think, gee there are a lot of average teams about. Sure some are better than average and some well below average but there are no real standouts.

Richmond I think if anything better than average. We are going in the right direction. I look at a team like St Kilda with their youngsters going well and I am thinking gee I am glad we went all in the 2014 draft.

I look at a club like Geelong, and think finally they are getting near the wall and a few others a about to collapse.

I look at a club like Gold Coast and I think wow, talk about a bomb blowing up the joint in terms of reality of whatever issues they have.

I see a club like Carlton looking down the barrel from trying to do the unrealistically impossible via FA and trades and are really are spinning into a wilderness.

Finally, I look at us , bit like GWS but not as much youth upside, bit more maturity, slowly developing away, slight ups and downs but still developing in an upward trend without killing off future upside. I think, you know we are looking pretty for the long run, slow and steady will win this Melbourne Cup of a premiership, I have no doubt in that!:)

Well, it is the elephant in the room but I'm happy to help - YOU'RE MAD!

Well, it is the elephant in the room but I'm happy to help - YOU'RE MAD!

Maybe as I am heading towards the mid 40's I just have more respect for a balanced approach and more focussed with how the general direction is going rather than the odd hiccup or to,:p

I do like the McIntosh and Hunt additions just quiety;)

Maybe as I am heading towards the mid 40's I just have more respect for a balanced approach and more focussed with how the general direction is going rather than the odd hiccup or to,:p
Seriously, I don't know where we stand.

We have 6 A grade footballers, some question marks over some borderline B graders, and another group of players that may or may not cut the mustard.

The next month or two will tell us where we stand this year.

But I like your optimism :)

Good, level headed thread Magic.

I am not convinced that Dimma is the right man for the job, and I am extremely disappointed with last week's loss. But I am willing to back the man that got us into our first back to back finals series in 40 years at least until the end of the season.

Our list is good, but not good enough yet to challenge the very top teams. It will get there.

There may be cause for some concern off the back of the loss, but there is no need for panic at this stage. Ask me again what I think of Hardwick and his future at Richmond after September 2015 has finished.

Seriously, I don't know where we stand.

We have 6 A grade footballers, some question marks over some borderline B graders, and another group of players that may or may not cut the mustard.

The next month or two will tell us where we stand this year.

But I like your optimism :)

Yeah, but for me my view is changing a little.

I look at a club like Adelaide rise after getting a bit of Port expertise in Walsh and I think there is not too much difference between teams. A few changes can make big differences and the differences between teams in some cases are not as great as may appear.

Sure the top 4 or so stand out a little but they are starting to come back to the pack.

Even Hawthorn I backed them a little to lose to Essendon because I felt they were inflated from the match against Geelong. They where good but not that good, Geelong slipped, and Essendon improved and should have got Sydney if not for match fitness. Hawthorn lost Franklin, Frawley is injured , they are not the absolute power club they once were and Sydney seemed weak against the Bombers. Both clubs are still very strong but a lot can change in 2-3 years and Freo have a lot of ageing stars to.

The point is as we move ahead we may not need 14 A graders and 8 B graders or whatever to win. It may not need to be that strong. GWS will be a problem but they are not going up in a straight line and their is a heap of talent in GC and GWS that needs to shine elsewhere when given an opportunity. There must by guys in the expansion clubs where the youngsters simply do not fit their style of development as well as positional prospects not getting a look in in log jams.

I also look at clubs like Bulldogs, Melbourne and the Saints rejuvenated from their youth and we are not too far away from those models. So I think things are shaping nicely for Tigerland.

So I am quietly confident, despite the loss last week, we are positioned well and developing nicely. I like to see more youngsters and draft talent get a go as the year progresses if competitively earned. I think we are in the right cycle and heading forward nicely.:)

Last edited:

I do see positives in the Bulldogs loss. They are on the up, they have youth and are developing, so are we. Therefore we are going in the right direction, we just had a minor slip up. All is well IMO.

Agree with your post most mate and this is what keeps me sane, also here is a shovel for all the s**t you will cop and need to move from the haters :p
641763b.jpg

When Brisbane beat us this weekend by 13 points after a dour struggle at the Gabba, and Leppa is talking about the bravery of his young team and how they're on the right track, while Hardwick is saying "we WILL get better, but by golly, Brisbane are a chance for Top 8 this season", will this opinion hold I wonder?

I'm usually a positive poster, but Richmond have finally cracked me. It's gonna take another 8 or 9 game winning streak from next week onwards, and including victories against Top 4 sides, for me to forgive Hardwick and Richmond for that pathetic display against the Dogs.

When Brisbane beat us this weekend by 13 points after a dour struggle at the Gabba, and Leppa is talking about the bravery of his young team and how they're on the right track, while Hardwick is saying "we WILL get better, but by golly, Brisbane are a chance for Top 8 this season", will this opinion hold I wonder?

I'm usually a positive poster, but Richmond have finally cracked me. It's gonna take another 8 or 9 game winning streak from next week onwards, and including victories against Top 4 sides, for me to forgive Hardwick and Richmond for that pathetic display against the Dogs.

Nahh we will win and win easy just so the lover's turn on us hater's. But seriously if we don't beat them i'm not sure what will happen i have a feeling the club will finally understand the big problem's and fix them if not we all will be lost at sea without a peddle. :(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mr Magic Mushrooms :p

Nah, good thread.

Sent from my brain using ESP.

Just about every club has humiliated themselves in the first few rounds:

Norf - round 1 smashing
Carlton - round 2 smashing
Richmond - round 2 loss to dogs
West Coast - round 1 loss to dogs
Geelong - flogged in both games
Port - flogged by Sydney
Melbourne - round 2 collapse
Gold Coast - flogged by the Saints? U ******* wat mate?
Essendon - s**t the bed completely in round 1, but the fans were proud for some reason.

Not many clubs have impressed.

Norf - round 1 smashing
Port - flogged by Sydney
Essendon - s**t the bed completely in round 1, but the fans were proud for some reason.

I think Adelaide have gone to another level under Walsh and they always had depth at least at the B/C level, always seemed competent developing players with some mature types, and Essendon are not that bad with Cooney added and further maturing. Essendon lacked match fitness due to not playing NAB so were expected to be run over by Swans and even Hawthorn until they get a few matches under their belt.
I am not to fussed over these clubs because IMO they are a bit like North possible 2 years or further ahead of us. I am anticipating when we really contend these other clubs will be tailing off as a number of their guns retire and age.

Gold Coast to me showed it is just not a simple case of putting talent together although I think GWS has a better mix. These clubs though have a long road ahead even when they jump up it appears. It must take some time for some youngsters to develop the belief and know how although some youngsters will prove to be false prospects. It will take a while to get the right mix of talent and blend with maturity to really contend and a Baby Bombers effort is incredibly difficult to achieve! It is probably harder to do a Baby Bomber effort in this era due to the run and contested footy requiring more mature, developed experienced bodies as clubs have fine tuned their efforts and approach over the years

But your right not many clubs have impressed consistently, and I think the competition is evening up a little even if it is just slight atm. More teams are up and down and the competition, after the compromised drafts and expansion club entries, are starting to get closer and more competitive again as a trend that is building IMO. The new draft talent is starting to come through in the lessor clubs regarding ladder position. I am not reading too much into the Hawthorn loss for 2015 but I do believe there is a trend that teams are getting closer.

Carlton's and Geelong's ageing lists are catching up with them and these signals hold Richmond in good stead with the youth coming through in our list.

Last edited:

Norf - round 1 smashing
Port - flogged by Sydney

You forgot to mention Hawks losing last week. They are talking rebuild now.

I do like the McIntosh and Hunt additions just quiety;)

I'm well into my 40s as well mate and let me assure you....you are as mad as a march hare.

This is Richmond. The inevitable let down hangs over us like a cloud. Like a destiny.

Carlton will be flogging us in 2 years.

I'm well into my 40s as well mate and let me assure you....you are as mad as a march hare.

This is Richmond. The inevitable let down hangs over us like a cloud. Like a destiny.

Ha ha, well I cannot top that. Carlton flogging us in 2 years is about as batsh.t crazy as I have ever heard!!:p;)

Now to watch the Tiger Bulldogs replay on fox...:cool:

Last edited:
Loss is not the issue, its the manner that we lost is unacceptable of a team trying to win a final this season. Lets talk about clubs we are competing with.
WC - Thumped carlton while we just scrapped through
Adelaide - Enuff said, they are flying
Essendon - Who ever thinks they are not good enuff to challenge top 4 is living in mars
collingwood - Ok, we are better but are we confident of beating them.? No
GC- They have looked awful and we may take their spot. but are we confident of beating them.? No
Geelong - Pathetic display so far but they will bounce back. I don't think we will beat them
Brisbane - They are well behind us, but are we confident of beating them..? No
dogs - They are also well behind us in development, well we all saw what just happened

I am being overly pessimistic but if the first 2 games are any indication, we are in for a rude shock come season end........
Lets hope the boys don't give up any more games. 10 wins looks like a stretch from here on...!

Loss is not the issue, its the manner that we lost is unacceptable of a team trying to win a final this season. Lets talk about clubs we are competing with.
WC - Thumped carlton while we just scrapped through
Adelaide - Enuff said, they are flying
Essendon - Who ever thinks they are not good enuff to challenge top 4 is living in mars
collingwood - Ok, we are better but are we confident of beating them.? No
GC- They have looked awful and we may take their spot. but are we confident of beating them.? No
Geelong - Pathetic display so far but they will bounce back. I don't think we will beat them
Brisbane - They are well behind us, but are we confident of beating them..? No
dogs - They are also well behind us in development, well we all saw what just happened

I am being overly pessimistic but if the first 2 games are any indication, we are in for a rude shock come season end........
Lets hope the boys don't give up any more games. 10 wins looks like a stretch from here on...!

You are not being pessimistic at all. You are responding to the type of soft centred stuff we turn out when the chips are down.

We struggled to get on top of an atrocious Carlton shower of has beens and never will bes. We were given our coats and shown the door by the Bullies. They are facts.

If we were playing Collingwood or Geelong this weekend I would absolutely expect a loss. Not because either are better than us but rather because they a re Collingwood and Geelong and we are....well we are easybeats when the chips are down.

Good things come to those who wait. That's what I've been saying for a couple of decades now. Eventually it will come true.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back