Past Callum Bartlett (2009-2013)

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm guessing he just lost too much pace from his knee injuries. They tried to remodel him - they bulked him up, they tried him as a tagger, they tried him as a small forward. But without his pace he was like Samspon without his hair.

Just want to put up a personal thank you to all the Big Footy Lions Community for the support and good wishes for Cal during his time at the Lions and since his delisting. Special mention and thanks to Pattykisagun - he knows why.
I've loved the spirit of this board and have enjoyed meeting a few of the posters latterly. Even though I've been travelling for 4 years to the ressies games Cal's played in, I've been a bit slow in making myself known.

Again thanks from Cal's family and I hope if he ever makes it back as a first 22 player with another team, you remember he played his heart out for the Lions.

I've been remiss in not thanking also Steve and Kaz Ripper and the rest of the Brits for taking me under their generous and loyal Lions Supporter wings. Had they not befriended me I would not have had the opportunity to me the great people I did. Thank you. GB

Signed with Norwood.

Norwood has bolstered its midfield with the signing of former Brisbane Lion Callum Bartlett.

Bartlett, 179cm and 79kg, is rated highly despite not managing to play an AFL match in his four years on Brisbane’s list.

The 22-year-old overcame two knee reconstructions – one on each leg – to become a damaging on-baller for the Lions’ reserves side.

‘’He’s seriously talented and the only reason he has been delisted is that he has lost a fraction of his pace,’’ Norwood operations manager Mark Ross said.

‘’If you wanted to compare him to someone he’s probably a young Luke Crane but better. He’s a left-footer who is super clean inside with great hands and a beautiful kick.

‘’So we are quite excited to have Callum on board as he is a terrific lad with leadership qualities.’’

Originally from the Geelong Falcons in the TAC Cup, Bartlett was a team-mate of Crows star Patrick Dangerfield.

Bartlett, who will be moving to Adelaide with his partner early next year, is itching to test himself in the best competition outside of the AFL.

‘’When visiting I was truly impressed by how professional the entire Norwood environment is,’’ said Bartlett, who was selected by the Lions with pick No.27 in the 2009 AFL National Draft.

“Having the opportunity to join such a powerful and well-respected club like Norwood in a strong and vibrant competition is really exciting.

‘’I can’t wait to begin pre-season training with my new team-mates and look forward to contributing all I can both on and off the field.”

http://norwoodfc.com.au/News/LATESTNEWS/BARTLETT_SIGNS_AT_NORWOOD.aspx

Awesome move. Go redlegs.

Geez you boys are quick off the mark. I was gunna share lol! All very happy and thanks again to Pattykisagun for his help.
Fantastic news. Sponsored Cal a couple of years back and still cherish the signed no. 13. I wish him every success at the club I supported as a youngster.

Seems like an even swap we get Aish Norwood picks up Bartlett.

Hope that Bartlett gets picked up in the next couple of years and does a Zorko, we couldnt have asked more from a player than what he gave. Wish every draftee came to the club with that level of desire and work ethic.

Where are they now?

CALLUM BARTLETT - Bartlett has moved to South Australia after being lured to SANFL club Norwood over the off-season. The Redlegs were thrilled to recruit the 22-year-old whose AFL career was largely hampered by injury.

“Huge thanks to the Lions for an opportunity in the AFL system! Great club! Stick with the boys, success to come!” Bartlett Tweeted.

“I can’t wait to begin pre-season training with my new teammates and look forward to contributing all I can both on and off the field,” he told sanfl.com.au

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2013 Review - by Caiphus

Callum Bartlett has long been the underdog that we all hoped would come good - unfortunately it didn’t happen.

His performances at training and in the intraclub match during pre-season were very encouraging and many of us were hoping that would lead to his elevation to the senior list with the free upgrade that was available.

Unfortunately this didn’t end up happening and Callum’s good early season form tapered off for a few months after his untimely injury, not from his knees, but from getting king hit when standing up for Patty Wearden in a melee against the Gold Coast Suns. Patty had his jaw broken while Cal suffered a fractured cheek bone.

It is difficult to know whether this disruption was the straw that broke the camel’s back for Cal, but he didn’t return to form until the 3rd quarter of the Reserves Grand Final win against Aspley where he got a couple of telling clearances and kicked a couple of goals.

He was delisted the following week and opted not to turn out in the cross conference grand final.

Naughty, naughty

Former Brisbane Lion Callum Bartlett is certain to be called up for League action after impressing in the Reserves against South Adelaide on Friday night.
Bartlett and key forward Michael Newton were punished by the Redlegs’ leadership group for arriving late for a training session.
http://sanfl.com.au/news/sanfl_news/2400/

Trial Match

Locals Mitch Wicks, Alex Mckay and Brisbane recruit, Callum Bartlett, all played their first games of league football for the Norwood football club. All 3 performed well, with Callum the standout, along with Ben Jefferies, Callum gathered 24 possessions, 4 tackles and 7 clearances and gave us plenty of drive through the midfield. Our 2012 premiership ruckman, Angus Clarke, also came in after Sam Baulderstone was rested for the evening.

http://norwoodfc.com.au/News/LATESTNEWS/TRIAL_GAME_vs_WEST_ADELAIDE_RESULTS.aspx

Last edited:
Could we re-draft him like Carlton did with Cachia?

If he has a good year I hope we do.

Nice to see he's gone but not forgotten. . Funny to see him running around in the red and blue.
So happy he's back in the number 6 and the form that went with it. I miss all the info from the very active big footy AFL network. Even though fans are diehard for their local SANFL teams there's not that much forum activity. If I could just find the local equivalent of Mr Ripper Browndog Bob Jorgo and the rest it would be so much
better. And the Brits.....that's what's needed in SA lol.

Oh and he hurt his back in the Granny but played on. Couldn't have played the following week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back