List Mgmt. The Official Cam McCarthy Superultramega Thread - Deal done!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Person with former mental health issues around problem gambling has no sympathy for person with reported mental health problems: http://www.sen.com.au/news/afl/01-16/i-have-no-sympathy-for-cam-mccarthy-david-schwarz
schwad92d03fa1bd42d3409a8382ae3c6519d.jpg

What Schwarz has said is pretty disgusting & just not true, basically blaming Cam wanting to go home on a big money offer. Way to make the situation even worse for the kid.
And it's not like Schwarz is known for being a rational, stand up member of society
Yeah, he gets sucked into the rhetoric too easily. The media microphone gives too much influence to men who aren't that bright. See Tony Shaw.

Here is an old interview of Cam on SEN after his Rising Star Nomination. He talks about his love for Freo, Pavlich, Fyfe. Very uncomfortable If you're a GWS supporter. Enjoy.

Last edited:
Here is an old interview of Cam on SEN after his Rising Star Nomination. He talks about his love for Freo, Pavlich, Fyfe. Very uncomfortable If you were a GWS supporter. Enjoy.

I found it intersting how Cam talked about his parents always qorrying he was too chilled and never stressed

This emphasizes the fact that there is definitely more to the Cam going home story than plain old home sickness. For someone so carefree he is pretty stressed right now

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

What Schwarz has said is pretty disgusting & just not true, basically blaming Cam wanting to go home on a big money offer. Way to make the situation even worse for the kid.
And it's not like Schwarz is known for being a rational, stand up member of society

I feel really sad for McCarthy, because if you spend 5 minutes thinking about it, you'll know that it's unlikely to be true.

Even if we assume McCarthy is not really homesick and is just this money grabbing mercenary, then pulling this "stunt" is the dumbest thing he can do. Even if Freo was willing to offer $700k (which I highly doubt) at him previously, who in the right mind will still offer him that now? A genuinely greedy fellow will not walk out of preseason which will reduce his value (to all teams, including GWS and Freo) instantly.

I hope he is well shielded by his family from this sort of articles/report, which is going to make things worse for him. His welfare have to come first.

I can't agree with some of the predominant pro-Cam to Freo and anti-GWS views in this thread.
What is incontestable is that the kid nominated for a draft where there was a 8/9 chance he'd be playing interstate. He has played interstate, didn't like it and now wants to leave.
At this point the view of some on here appears to be that GWS should just bend over and let him choose another club i.e. us. Utter bullshit. It's a national comp and when you put your hand up for the comp you know the rules. He might have naively believed he could cope living interstate and has now found out he can't. Well then he can come back home and play WAFL or become a brickie and play amateurs or whatever floats his boat. If you want an AFL career be prepared for the fact that life may not go 100% your way and either adjust or, if that's too much, do something else. I'm with Schwarz on that point

I can't agree with some of the predominant pro-Cam to Freo and anti-GWS views in this thread.
What is incontestable is that the kid nominated for a draft where there was a 8/9 chance he'd be playing interstate. He has played interstate, didn't like it and now wants to leave.
At this point the view of some on here appears to be that GWS should just bend over and let him choose another club i.e. us. Utter bullshit. It's a national comp and when you put your hand up for the comp you know the rules. He might have naively believed he could cope living interstate and has now found out he can't. Well then he can come back home and play WAFL or become a brickie and play amateurs or whatever floats his boat. If you want an AFL career be prepared for the fact that life may not go 100% your way and either adjust or, if that's too much, do something else. I'm with Schwarz on that point
If you fall out of love with somebody would you want to keep living in the same house?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why? He clearly to good for wafl but not good enough to play afl away from home, but good enough to play afl at home. Seems pretty reasonable that his best option is play afl in WA and see his fam/friends every week and just be gone for every second weekend. Dont see the problem.

Why? He clearly to good for wafl but not good enough to play afl away from home, but good enough to play afl at home. Seems pretty reasonable that his best option is play afl in WA and see his fam/friends every week and just be gone for every second weekend. Dont see the problem.

I don't see the problem either if he can engineer it so life is 100% his way, but he can't. So deal with it and make a choice

I'm with Square Peg on this one. Much as I'd love to see Cam playing for Fremantle, we weren't able to strike a deal with GWS last year, so he is still a GWS contracted player. I'm sure if Lachie Weller was homesick and asked to be traded to St Kilda we would make sure we got something we needed for him. Unfortunately we couldn't find the right deal for Cam - nobody's fault, just the way life is sometimes.

I just hope he is able to get himself well and if he can get back to playing some form of footy that is a bonus.

I find it hilarious people hold him signing a contract extension agaisnt him. He hadn't played a game before he signed on, and from memory their were rumours the Giants would only play you once you'd signed an extension at one stage. But to be offered an extension before you've played a game and not sign it would be foolish, that's guaranteed financial security should injury strike/ you not be able to have a successful AFL career.

Tom Boyd, Jack Gunston, Jamie Cripps, Elliot Yeo, Tom Hickey, Adam Treloar, Jared Polec, Ben Jacobs, Jon O'Rourke all returned home after doing the minimum two years after being drafted. Only McCarthy got the poor advice and te-signed. But then again not many would have been offered a two year extension before playing a game.

Jesus Christ...did I just hear on Today Tonight that there will be a story on a player who "CANT PLAY AFL BECAUSE HE IS HOMESICK!!" followed by someone who says "I think it's a disgrace".

Couldn't quite catch all of it...if this is about Cam McCarthy then this has honestly gone way too far. Why is everyone hanging out so much s**t on McCarthy when this is nothing new among AFL players and clearly there's an underlying mental health issue going on too.

Its not the manly gambling/drinking ****in heaps/bashing campaigners/being nasty to your wife sort of mental illness dim pricks can relate to.
Quoted for posterity,pertinence,accuracy and because I wanted to 'like' it 2x.
The Ox put Newman on his arse as an audition for entry into aussiemediadickhead.com and it's the last memorable thing he did:rolleyes:

He is coming home and he might play WAFL and he might be a brickie and he also might never play football again. But the sure as hell thing is he does not want to be in Sydney. GWS played the wrong tough man hand and lost . Why any one gives a toss about what GWS or Freo can gain or lose out of this amazes the crap out of me. There is a young guy in trouble who needs help from his family at home and the tough man key board warriors need to have a good hard look at them selves.

I'm with Square Peg on this one. Much as I'd love to see Cam playing for Fremantle, we weren't able to strike a deal with GWS last year, so he is still a GWS contracted player. I'm sure if Lachie Weller was homesick and asked to be traded to St Kilda we would make sure we got something we needed for him. Unfortunately we couldn't find the right deal for Cam - nobody's fault, just the way life is sometimes.

I just hope he is able to get himself well and if he can get back to playing some form of footy that is a bonus.

I think this makes a lot sence, there is arguments from both sides that could be right. Let's hope he gets himself right and common self prevails.
The afl set this up with there unfair draft picks and Silvagni took all key forwards even that year they took Boyd and McCarthy before Freo even had a pick.

Now that we are a legitimate powerhouse club of the AFL

Love the patriotism in your post and don't get me wrong, I love this club as much as anyone, but this statement is the kind of thing that makes other supporters sit back and laugh at us.

We're not a powerhouse of the AFL, we're an unproven bunch with potential that's turned itself around and is on the way up.

You need at least a few of those cup shaped things in the cabinet before you can even consider yourself a powerhouse.

From 27:30, some commentary tonight on 3AW on the situation and speculation by their Sam McClure on where it may go. Is there a formal mechanism within the rules that provides a club a compensation pick if it releases a player as a delisted free agent? Never heard of that one before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back