Toast Cameron Guthrie

Remove this Banner Ad

Funnily enough having seen Smedts and Guthrie early on, what Guthrie is now is what i saw Smedts do early days. Now, Guthrie is the one getting it done and Bille ( before injury) was getting pinged for HTB and trying to much. It would be great if Bille caught up to Cam. He has the ability to do it.

And for the record, I was one for keeping Cam in the back line. I know had had the skills to play MF just thought we would be better served with him back there. Turns out the need was the MF. Still think he'll return there at some point when our injury list gets shorter…

Either way, he's becoming a total gun..

Go Catters
Agreed. BS has all those skills as well. He is a superb mover through traffic.

I'm looking foward to Billie returning. Never have I felt he really settled into the forward line. I was looking forward to seeing what he could do in defense.

Cam has become immense for us. If BS can become anything like Guthrie, then we'll have a fantastic combination going forward.

Agreed. BS has all those skills as well. He is a superb mover through traffic.
I really do hope Billie can come back and make a difference... it's about game confidence and finding the balance when to pass and when to take it on for him. I have read other players saying at training no one can lay a hand on him, at training he is confident and relaxed I'm guessing..
If he can convert that to being AFL confident he could be a gun.. the issue then is also over confidence and biting off more than he should

I'm looking foward to Billie returning. Never have I felt he really settled into the forward line. I was looking forward to seeing what he could do in defense.

Cam has become immense for us. If BS can become anything like Guthrie, then we'll have a fantastic combination going forward.

Still think we're going to slaughter the 2010 draft. We've already got Guthrie established, Horlin-Smith is pretty much there now, and Caddy then Smedts should be right behind them. That's going to be a very good group of players for us.

He is the player in the team that we really need to fill 2 important spots. He is the best midfield tagger by a fair way and is also clearly the only small shut down defender.

Hopefully he has given up on his dream to play NFL as a punter.

Still think we're going to slaughter the 2010 draft. We've already got Guthrie established, Horlin-Smith is pretty much there now, and Caddy then Smedts should be right behind them. That's going to be a very good group of players for us.

It's crazy how 10-20 games can make such an impact can't it?
I admit even at the end of last year I thought might not have the skills to make it, but in your posts you always held him in high regard.

Now he's one of my favourite players to watch, and I'll say he's pretty much cemented his spot in our 22 for the future.

He is the player in the team that we really need to fill 2 important spots. He is the best midfield tagger by a fair way and is also clearly the only small shut down defender.

Hopefully he has given up on his dream to play NFL as a punter.
I hope that he can celebrate his first 50 games with the Cats with a big win up in Sydney!

It's crazy how 10-20 games can make such an impact can't it?
I admit even at the end of last year I thought might not have the skills to make it, but in your posts you always held him in high regard.

Now he's one of my favourite players to watch, and I'll say he's pretty much cemented his spot in our 22 for the future.

It wasn't the disposal that caught my eye so much, it was the composure. I couldn't believe how calm he was under pressure almost from his first game. I just thought that's something that can't be taught. I didn't expect him to become so good so quickly though (Horlin-Smith either).

Apart from the fact I cringe that I was so critical of him last year, I don't think I could be any happier with Guthrie's season.

His development in a largely new role has been nothing short of spectacular.

I am really pleased with the look of our midfield group beyond the retirements of the golden 2001 generation.

Selwood, Duncan, Christensen, Horlin-Smith, Guthrie, Caddy, Motlop. Maybe Murdoch, Lang or Jansen will strengthen it further.

That is a really strong group in the most important part of the ground.

hey guys, bit off topic but when you saw geelong going into 2007 after coming off 2006, what did you think was honestly going to happen to the team? could you see a potential grand final team in the making.. let alone powerhouse emerging? What made you think you would be successfull, if you did think that. Just trying to justify my thoughts on the current richmond team. Cheers, personaly reckon guthrie will be a gun!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

hey guys, bit off topic but when you saw geelong going into 2007 after coming off 2006, what did you think was honestly going to happen to the team? could you see a potential grand final team in the making.. let alone powerhouse emerging? What made you think you would be successfull, if you did think that. Just trying to justify my thoughts on the current richmond team. Cheers, personaly reckon guthrie will be a gun!

I know i saw the talent as individuals but collectively as a team they just were not anywhere close. It took some serious bloodletting and self appraisal to turn that corner. And that means humbling every player and coach to a fault and taking it onboard and putting it all into practice. No easy task clearly.
Outside the Tigers fishbowl, id say several players have the talent but I'm not sure how humble they can be to accept the criticisms to change their ways and make those changes.

I thought they would have done better this year. They have the talent.

Go Catters

ohhh… millstone game.. ( small granted but still a milestone…) Would be an awesome one to bag for a bloke that puts in real hard for the team and plays the Geelong way…

Go Catters

Its often forgotten what transpired in the lead up.
2004 Prelim , probably the better side just could find a way to get over the juggernaut of Brisbane , Brisbane Runner up
2005 SFinal , ahead all night beaten in the last seconds of the game by Nick Bloody Davis , Swans Premier
2006 washout , the big internal thought process

So you can see that most Geelong people would have thought that after building from 99 that we were basically ready, we had waited long enough. The coach kept his job by the skin of his teeth. Then we even started slow , had another little reminder of what was not acceptable and came out and blew Rich away to the amount 150 odd points.

So for Richmond to be a serious contender , they need to make finals , and win finals and get used to the idea that they are legit finals material. Not sure they think they are. Not really. They may say it but they don't really believe it. Look at Port. They believe it.

Interesting small article in the Herald Sun today. Cam's father is credited for tipping off Geelong FC about Mark Blicavs as a draft dark horse.

At around 190cm Billie could play the tall mid role, a little like Pendelbury I'd like to think, he's very agile, just has to learn when to go and when to give so he doesn't get pinged to often.
He's good to very good in the air, last year against the Saints took a couple over "big boy McAvoy" within a couple of minutes, whether defensive mid or more forward has high skillset.
Really hope Billie's back with a determination we haven't seen yet. Add him to what we've got from GHS and Murdoch so far and things definately would be on the up.

Cam Guthrie is fast becoming a star, we all know that, but such has his impact been this season thus far, some interesting stats have come to the fore.

He is third in centre clearances and equal third with another youngster in George Horlin-Smith in overall clearances for Geelong, behind senior stars Joel Selwood and Steve Johnson.

He is Geelong’s number one tackler, and in fact ranks fifth in the entire competition in that area.

He’s also equal second in goal assists for the club, just one behind leader Jimmy Bartel.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...ous-no29-his-own/story-fni5f6yf-1226934908252

Remove this Banner Ad

Back