Toast Cameron Guthrie

Remove this Banner Ad

One element of Guthrie's game I noticed for the first time on Saturday is his acceleration/speed over 10 metres. He can really get himself away from a pack or out of trouble quickly.

One element of Guthrie's game I noticed for the first time on Saturday is his acceleration/speed over 10 metres. He can really get himself away from a pack or out of trouble quickly.

Really? I'm surprised.

Vdubs will remember that I said Guthrie has a bit of Ablett in him.
Not sure what year. 2011 maybe.
Because not only does he burst, but he can burst sideways. On a 45 if you like. And that can really put a gap on the opposition.

He seems to have excellent peripheral vision.

The guy could be anything.

Found it. Jan 2012. But the brain is fading, I said nothing about his pace :D

"Guthrie has class. And in some ways he reminds me of GAJ when he carries the ball and lifts his eyes to find a target. The question is though, will he be the type of player who will fade in and out at the top level? Or can he become a key driver? Need to find out."

He does has a great " first step" as you say VC.

He does has a great " first step" as you say VC.

I think he has a great last step too - where as say Mots last step used to be disastrous and he would spray it everywhere - Guthrie has always had the poise and balance to not be going 100% at the last second and as such, to me, he has seemed better getting rid if it.

All in all, he is becoming a real all round weapon and the sky is the limit...

Go Catters

One thing I'm noticing is he is developing a nice bit of a-hole about him. Has no issue getting in someone's face or sitting them on their arse.... As long as he doesn't become a w***er or cross the line to much I have no issue at all with it

Yes, there was one incident in particular in the North game, when it looked like Selwood was pushed in the face, not sure if that was by Harvey as we were sitting too far away to see details, but Guthrie came in immediately and gave him a hard shove back and pushed him over.

I loved seeing Guthrie standing up for our captain like that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, there was one incident in particular in the North game, when it looked like Selwood was pushed in the face, not sure if that was by Harvey as we were sitting too far away to see details, but Guthrie came in immediately and gave him a hard shove back and pushed him over.

I loved seeing Guthrie standing up for our captain like that.
I think that happened after Harvey gave Christensen a high push that the umpire deemed 'too hard'. Christensen just shook himself off while Guthrie came in and gave Harvey a forceful shove, then clapped in his face and stepped away from him, calling out to him as the free kick was taken. I lost sight of what happened there because I was so enthralled with how Guthrie had raced in to stand up for his teammate.

I think that happened after Harvey gave Christensen a high push that the umpire deemed 'too hard'. Christensen just shook himself off while Guthrie came in and gave Harvey a forceful shove, then clapped in his face and stepped away from him, calling out to him as the free kick was taken. I lost sight of what happened there because I was so enthralled with how Guthrie had raced in to stand up for his teammate.

But if he was called Steve Johnson he would have copped a week for that….

Too late to make a run for this year I'm afraid.
Definitely, good for next year though. We have quite a few talented kids pushing hard for selection every week now, if one or two can really breakout next year then we'll be in very good shape.

Is that a good thing or a bad thing, Blitzen?

Not necessarily a bad thing. He's an elite player and good enough to do it now.

Just hope he doesn't get too much of a big head - but in the grand scheme of things, who cares if he does really. If he gets in the opposition's mind and it works well for him, why not.

Not necessarily a bad thing. He's an elite player and good enough to do it now.

Just hope he doesn't get too much of a big head - but in the grand scheme of things, who cares if he does really. If he gets in the opposition's mind and it works well for him, why not.
Yeah- I was thinking along the lines of "big head" as well.

Is starting to become a bit of a sledger. Might give Mackie a run for his money soon ;)

Nuh, thought he was wagging the finger just to remind a couple of Nth players not to over step the mark. To me it's a sign of his maturity and his self control while reminding them not to muck with his mates.
I see a bit of the Captain in him.

Bit worried about the lack of height and weight in the packs with Freo's big units. SJ will never learn though, we'll get this stuff at least once or twice a year, the macho thing that always lands him on the sidelines when he's needed most, very annoying to say the least.
Johnson could learn a bit from Guthrie but fat chance!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back