Toast Cameron Guthrie

Remove this Banner Ad

Not necessarily a bad thing. He's an elite player and good enough to do it now.

Just hope he doesn't get too much of a big head - but in the grand scheme of things, who cares if he does really. If he gets in the opposition's mind and it works well for him, why not.
I'd still like to see him really tear a game apart, he has been very good this year but I'd like to see more of the what he did vs. West Coast earlier this year. I guess given the fact he's playing as somewhat of a negating mid restricts his freedom to do that though. That's why I'd love to see Bews as a tagger at some stage to free him up.

I am curious what the plans are with Guthrie in September. My hope is they plan to give him the pure defensive job on Mitchell, Mundy, Kennedy and this role he is currently playing is more to round out his development and he will revert to tagger in September. I think he can mix it with those guys if he is told to tag.

I worry that Scott doesn't really believe in the pure tagging role and Mitchell will run around on his own again. I still think it has a place.

Guthrie can play anywhere but right now I think he is needed as a tagger.

I'd still like to see him really tear a game apart, he has been very good this year but I'd like to see more of the what he did vs. West Coast earlier this year. I guess given the fact he's playing as somewhat of a negating mid restricts his freedom to do that though. That's why I'd love to see Bews as a tagger at some stage to free him up.

Bews has been playing defense/midfield and picking up high numbers of late, thinking this might be his senior role in time which would free up the likes of Guthrie, he's not far off.
I like it.

Is starting to become a bit of a sledger. Might give Mackie a run for his money soon ;)
Mack is a career sledger and one of the games best. Even gets the umps having a laugh. Its a big call to get anyone close to him.

That said, I like what I saw from Guthire. Sel was down and he layed out the North player standing over him allowing him to get up.

A bit of Mooney agro about that. I likey!

Go Catters

Last edited:
Just came in here to ask e1 to get on board for Cam, for some reason it wouldn't accept the FB link.. thanks Fred :thumbsu:
imagesCA51KS64_zps97d07442.jpg

untitled_zps97e76ca6.png

imagesCAZSYZPR_zps0a009352.jpg

Starting to develop a the ire of opposition supporters which means he's on the right track ;)
Yes, I was quite surprised to read on the thread "which opposition player do you hate most" on the Hawthorn board, which someone here directed us to recently, that a number of Hawk fans named Guthrie. I wasn't aware of any particular incident or niggle between Cam and any Hawthorn player, but clearly he's done enough to gain the attention of opposition supporters.

Yes, I was quite surprised to read on the thread "which opposition player do you hate most" on the Hawthorn board, which someone here directed us to recently, that a number of Hawk fans named Guthrie. I wasn't aware of any particular incident or niggle between Cam and any Hawthorn player, but clearly he's done enough to gain the attention of opposition supporters.
Hope he really gets Mitchell's attention tonight!

Wasn't playing a hard tagging role that I could see last night (lol) and that's the key to him giving the most to the team. Trouble is we then need another tagger and I don't see an obvious one since we lost Taylor Hunt. Maybe Caddy?

Not Caddy Great5s…. his inside work has been critical, and takes some of the pressure off Joel to do the in and under work. I think we have needed that for some time.

Don't know about you, but I'm not taking too much out of last nights game. Set up's will be very different in 2 weeks time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wasn't playing a hard tagging role that I could see last night (lol) and that's the key to him giving the most to the team. Trouble is we then need another tagger and I don't see an obvious one since we lost Taylor Hunt. Maybe Caddy?

Was tagging Lewis last night, but he played it smart, letting Lewis take him to the ball, which enabled him to get plenty of it and handpass it backwards creatively.

An article from the AFL website today, says that Guthrie has claimed a new AFL record: for the fewest metres (24) gained by a player who has 30+ disposals in a game.

The article goes on to say "What Guthrie does do, importantly, is release teammates into space to run with the ball.
In the same week he set the record, he topped the AFL in the relatively new statistic that measures how players assist others to gain metres.
Guthrie recorded 553 assisted metres, ahead of Hawthorn's Sam Mitchell (545 assisted metres) and Richmond's Troy Chaplin (512)."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-08-27/guthries-unlikely-benchmark

An article from the AFL website today, says that Guthrie has claimed a new AFL record: for the fewest metres (24) gained by a player who has 30+ disposals in a game.

The article goes on to say "What Guthrie does do, importantly, is release teammates into space to run with the ball.
In the same week he set the record, he topped the AFL in the relatively new statistic that measures how players assist others to gain metres.
Guthrie recorded 553 assisted metres, ahead of Hawthorn's Sam Mitchell (545 assisted metres) and Richmond's Troy Chaplin (512)."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-08-27/guthries-unlikely-benchmark

Handy new stat. I bet GHS suggested they do it.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...to-stay-grounded/story-fnp04d70-1227249713462

The former Calder Cannon midfielder who inherited Gary Ablett’s No. 29 jumper has always had the common touch, which is why he is beloved in Geelong’s inner sanctum.

But after four years learning the trade as a small defender and star tagger, his time is now.

After Joel Selwood tried and failed to hold up Geelong’s entire midfield in last year’s finals, it is time for Guthrie to unleash hell.

He is being told by coaches Chris Scott, Matthew Lappin and Matthew Knights to start showcasing the attacking skills he has repressed playing on rival stars Patrick Dangerfield, Nathan Fyfe and Scott Pendlebury.
Really enjoyed this article on Cam.

Fantastic article... love the fact he went and got a small retail job when really he wouldnt have to do that.. shows a good head IMO
Think Duncan has a serious challenger for next captain

Remove this Banner Ad

Back