News Cameron Ling rejects coaching offers for longer stint in the media

Remove this Banner Ad

Ling had a conflicted decision
he wants to raise his family in geelong, and earns a fair quid from pubs in geelong, and receives great admiration from geelong people
he joins Melbourne and it contyinues in the same vain, he then damages his brand and his pubs in geelong could be less successful as well

scott signing an extension indicates that he will not be senior coach for at least 3 years at geelong, so there is no urgency there

ideally we would want sj as forwards coach once he retires, as he will be a gem, much like blight

ling will coach as its in his blood, just think it will occur in 2 years time

It takes a certain personality to be a full time coach. Lingy doesn't seem the obsessive type. I cant imagine coaching when you have the option of sitting in the media box earning good money for eff all.

It takes a certain personality to be a full time coach. Lingy doesn't seem the obsessive type. I cant imagine coaching when you have the option of sitting in the media box earning good money for eff all.
its not all about cash
his ego wants to coach

he will coach

Think its a good move given the young family situation. Lingy won't do anything but 100% and with a young family his heart probably is not fully into coaching right now. And lets face it - coaching is more than a full time gig.

He will be successful in his coaching ventures and I have no doubt it will happen in the next 5 years.

GO Catters

Ling had a conflicted decision
he wants to raise his family in geelong, and earns a fair quid from pubs in geelong, and receives great admiration from geelong people
he joins Melbourne and it contyinues in the same vain, he then damages his brand and his pubs in geelong could be less successful as well

scott signing an extension indicates that he will not be senior coach for at least 3 years at geelong, so there is no urgency there

ideally we would want sj as forwards coach once he retires, as he will be a gem, much like blight

ling will coach as its in his blood, just think it will occur in 2 years time

Agree with this. In prep they almost had to operate on him to get the gees jumper and footy out of his hand, and the obsessive repetitive call of "I'm playing for geelong one day" almost ruined show and tell. True story.
However, the media does a good brainwashing job of relegating loyalties in the name of objective reporting, a la Tom Harley.
It will be an interesting few years, and a business can always be sold.
Go Ling, you good thing.

its not all about cash
his ego wants to coach

he will coach
Will we do a handover thing one day do you think. Have him in under CS for a couple of years? I guess that's largely contingent on CS. We don't want another Pies train wreck!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To me the longer you wait , the more likely its non starter. He seems smart but Id like to see him do some hard yards. Im sure there are others around that have earned a chance. Riccardi at Werribee this year? I listen to Aussie Jones talking about his time at Bendigo , im sure someone will grab him. I don't think its all about success in coaching , sometimes success is all bar impossible.
Put Ling incharde of the VFL side or at St Joe's for a season or too... but that will not happen. Sat night footy on 7 hard to walk away from for a VFL gig.

To me the longer you wait , the more likely its non starter. He seems smart but Id like to see him do some hard yards. Im sure there are others around that have earned a chance. Riccardi at Werribee this year? I listen to Aussie Jones talking about his time at Bendigo , im sure someone will grab him. I don't think its all about success in coaching , sometimes success is all bar impossible.
Put Ling incharde of the VFL side or at St Joe's for a season or too... but that will not happen. Sat night footy on 7 hard to walk away from for a VFL gig.
Exactly! The game can leave even the most well credentialed and adroit behind if they're out of the system too long. Malthouse, Roos, Voss are three who have said as much. And it is rare for an AFL player to go back into coaching after such a long break.

Reading the tea leaves I'd suggest Linga has fairly much discarded the thought. Indicated part of his thinking was not wishing to leave Geelong; his business interests; and that he signed for two years because that is when the current contract with 7 runs out. Appeared to me he would have signed for longer had circumstances permitted.

I see his path as similar to Brereton who teased for awhile before committing to the easier and more lucrative media path.

Exactly! The game can leave even the most well credentialed and adroit behind if they're out of the system too long. Malthouse, Roos, Voss are three who have said as much. And it is rare for an AFL player to go back into coaching after such a long break.

Reading the tea leaves I'd suggest Linga has fairly much discarded the thought. Indicated part of his thinking was not wishing to leave Geelong; his business interests; and that he signed for two years because that is when the current contract with 7 runs out. Appeared to me he would have signed for longer had circumstances permitted.

I see his path as similar to Brereton who teased for awhile before committing to the easier and more lucrative media path.

Yep , to paraphrase , those who can..commentate , those who can't commentate , coach

Yep , to paraphrase , those who can..commentate , those who can't commentate , coach

So what does that make BT…. cause he can't do either….:D

Go Catters

Will we do a handover thing one day do you think. Have him in under CS for a couple of years? I guess that's largely contingent on CS. We don't want another Pies train wreck!
Won't.coach.He'll be snapped-up by Fox or whoever gets the next free to air contract in two years. Gives him game involvement, more money and no hassles. If he was going to coach he'd have done it now. Suspect his other half isn't keen either.

Lingy has excelled yet again and Nicole of course.

Welcome Henry Ling:D
Time to bump the father son progeny thread!
Onya Lingy

Go Catters

Won't.coach.He'll be snapped-up by Fox or whoever gets the next free to air contract in two years. Gives him game involvement, more money and no hassles. If he was going to coach he'd have done it now. Suspect his other half isn't keen either.
It must be hard being a coach and having to be away every second weekend when you have a young family.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back