Can a draftee refuse to go a club with criminal record?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrEvil_

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 21, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Now that Essendon has been convicted, can a draftee refuse to go to Essendon and still play for other clubs? Is a criminal record grounds enough for a player to get out of the two year exclusive period?

Now that Essendon has been convicted, can a draftee refuse to go to Essendon and still play for other clubs? Is a criminal record grounds enough for a player to get out of the two year exclusive period?
I don't think doping in sport is a 'crime', you might have it mixed up with real crimes such as drink driving and rape. Hope this helps!

How does a club get a criminal record?
And, to this point, nothing criminal has been found regarding anybody from any activity at Essendon (despite the ACC looking into things surrounding certain individuals not so much as a charge was laid). Injecting people with unknown substances seems like a criminal act to me, but I guess as they subjected themselves to the regime it isn't.

If this was a yahoo question the best answer to it would be...

No.

I don't think doping in sport is a 'crime', you might have it mixed up with real crimes such as drink driving and rape. Hope this helps!

How does a club get a criminal record?
And, to this point, nothing criminal has been found regarding anybody from any activity at Essendon (despite the ACC looking into things surrounding certain individuals not so much as a charge was laid). Injecting people with unknown substances seems like a criminal act to me, but I guess as they subjected themselves to the regime it isn't.

I'm sorry guys, a conviction is a conviction. Let me put it this way, can you force an 18 yo to work in a company criminally convicted of asbestos breaches?

The club had asked in Melbourne Magistrates Court to be spared convictions, but magistrate Peter Reardon on Thursday said the breaches were significant and imposed criminal convictions on both charges.

Marion Jones did a little jail time as a consequence of being a convicted drug cheat in sport.Essendon are a bit different to her,Lance Armstrong,Ben Johnson etc Because unlike them Essendon never won anything but still.
I believe a player has the option of sitting out for two years if He doesn't want to go to the club who drafts him.Not exactly sure on that.

Marion Jones did a little jail time as a consequence of being a convicted drug cheat in sport.Essendon are a bit different to her,Lance Armstrong,Ben Johnson etc Because unlike them Essendon never won anything but still.
I believe a player has the option of sitting out for two years if He doesn't want to go to the club who drafts him.Not exactly sure on that.

Jones served time for lying to federal investigators with a little fraud issue thrown in as well.

The short answer is no.

The AFL avoids restraint of trade by getting draftees to nominate to join the AFL so it's the player that is wanting to join not the AFL wanting them to join it. Subtle but big difference.

In nominating the draftee agrees to abide by the rules of the AFL which cover initial drafting and later movement between clubs amongst a host of other things.

So you nominate yourself to join the AFL agreeing to the rule which says if you are drafted in the ND you will sign a two year contract to play for the club that selects you regardless of whether they have in the past done some dodgy things like injection programs.

For the draftee, if they don't like where they've ended up, they stink it up for the two years then hope to get traded/delisted to where they want to be, like Polec did. Or in your pre draft interview you tell the club you don't want to go to that you reckon they are a bag of crap and will leave after two years, like Wingard did.

The AFL avoids restraint of trade by getting draftees to nominate to join the AFL so it's the player that is wanting to join not the AFL wanting them to join it. Subtle but big difference.
It's astonishing how few people understand this.

The draft isn't illegal, because no one is forced to enter it. Players are more than free to go and sign with a local footy team, a state league team, or whoever else will pay them to play footy.

If they should choose to enter the AFL draft, they STILL get the choice of whether to sign with that team, or if they preferred, sitting out a year and re-entering the draft the following year.

Restraint of trade isn't the same thing as not being able to choose whatever position you want within a company that you apply for work with. If I apply for work with Telstra, and they hire me as a technician, the fact that I want to work in sales doesn't mean that I get to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No, but it means Essendon can't vote or adopt a child. Also Essendon can no longer visit the U.S I believe.

No, but it means Essendon can't vote or adopt a child. Also Essendon can no longer visit the U.S I believe.
They also can't rent a car, and they won't pass a police check any more, so if Essendon wants to volunteer at the local youth centre, they're going to be out of luck.

To be fair you can get a criminal record for public transport fines in Victoria these ideas.

Seriously though, if a club chooses to draft you, you should be thankful of the opportunity to play at the highest level.

Every year many draftee's tell a club that they will not stay after 2 years are up.

Wingard was the most honest in this sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back