banjomal

Cancelled
Nov 30, 2010
Work and home...
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
North Adelaide
Hamish McLachlin or however it's spelt should be leading hosting the ch 7 commentary team. Dennis & Bruce were finished years ago. BT was good on foxtel, s**t house on ch 7. Darcy and Leigh Matthews, pfft please, all they do is state the obvious. Tom Harley is good.
I really dislike Hamish and his commentary...woeful...sounds like a museum tour or a real estate agent....mute button time..or change channels...and the Rompingwins stuff is just as cringeworthy as Bruce's commentary...but there aren't many commentators I don't mute....Dennis I don't mind most of the time....not keen on the comedy though....hate Eddie's efforts a lot too......I've heard some fine commentators over many years and remember when Bruce started with Robert Oatey, he was better then, less fawning... but 7's lot aren't much cop these days in my opinion. Foxtel seem to have the same quality, pity they don't have a draft for commentators....a broom is what's needed....let someone else have a go.....any suggestions?

Pete Donegan suggestion I missed...like his work...

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2001
East Burwood
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Arsenal
Bruce was the best by a fair margin, he owned the comm box back in the 90's he had no peer. When 7 lost the rights to 9 and he had his sabbatical from football I felt robbed. The wanky ch.9 boys club led by the ego brothers mcguire and brereton almost ruined football for me. Anyway, 7 got them back,football had returned home and we got our Bruce back.
But we didn't, instead we got an embarrassing shadow of the man, talk about jumping the shark, it's as if he's had a lobotomy. I mourn for that Bruce of the 90's, he was class with a capital C. And as for commetti !!! Let's just say he has become a caricature of himself, so forced with those stupid pre-planned one liners.

Feb 4, 2001
East Burwood
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Arsenal
Mark Mclure should be on the telly. No one can have a meltdown better than he can.

I miss the more negative commentators on channel 10 like Malcolm Blight and Robert Walls.
If a game/team/player/umpire is s**t just say so please. No need to pretend everything is the best thing eva
Blight wasn't negative, he was just completely mental.

Sep 25, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Robert Walls was THE best special comments expert on television though.

Really miss him in combination with Tim Lane and Huddo.

That was the best trio we've ever seen. Pitty those naught grand finals were going back and forth with Steven Crappermain mixed in.

Tim lane/Huddo/Walls -- Dennis/Bruce/Harley -- Sandy/BT/Darce

Those three combos should do 2 games a week each, and let derwayne, romp/basil, and campbell do a solitary each.

This is why I keep saying there should be AFL commentators so the best combo can be arranged regardless of broadcast channel.

And the Time Lane/Huddo/Walls combo should be simulcast for the grand on Foxtel so the people with money can choose their preference. And so that an upload to youtube will exist with whichever preference general people want to rewatch a classic should it occur. Name a game for grand finals could then have that option in the audio selection.

I know Walls has retired and Tim Lane is back to radio.... but there's a way things SHOULD be. :thumbsu:

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Bruce is the worst. He has little favourites. I'll never forget when that dirty prick Chris Judd tried pulling an arm out of a socket, and when Ziebell and someone else got him back, Bruce jumps to this prissy little "ooo that's a free kick to Juddy!" like a Claremont mum at an Auskick game. His blind adoration is actually a turn-off.

He doesn't understand football either. He has no idea on how the game's played. He says things like "oh they've gained 20 metres there." Uh what? That's not how Aussie Rules is played. This isn't rugby or American Football. 'Gaining' metres for a ball up means bupkis. But he peddles weird s**t like that all the time.

He then puts on this blokeyness which is just totally false. The way he gruffs and tries to use the vernacular of a Mount Barker truck driver.

But then proceeds to get all snippy, bitchy, and protective. He calls out other commentators and has little sooks when someone else, usually an absolute champion of the game with more knowledge than the entire stadium they're at, like Leigh Matthews, tries to correct him. He's an absolutely prick of a thing.

And at least BT swaps his favouritism to the hyperbolic and overt and to whoever's losing. Bruce has his little teams and players and will always back them.

That pack with old deadshit "Hame," gormless Darcy... it is absolutely awful, awful s**t.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
The gratuitous abbreviations are really grating now. Very affeminate as well as unnecessary.

"He's good on the sets" (set shots)

"Loosie" (loose man)

"quickie" (quick player)

and so on.
It's trying to be blokey and ocker, but the supreme irony is that no one actually ever even says that. I doubt even the vintage hard arses of the 1970s would even like it. It just makes no sense, alienates the viewer, and is total tripe. It's not inventive or interesting or cool or some appeal to the Australian diction. It's just pointless. He genuinely infuriates me.

GeoSid

Draftee
Apr 25, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Oh that Bruce...Did anyone notice this evening again......

First 3 Qtrs how good the Dons were...then when the pies caught up on the score board he kept his mouth shut esssshhhpecciaallllly at the start of the last 1/4..... when the game was over with a Pies win...all was gongratz on his behalf on how well Collingwood had played....

What a joke..

Actually I watched the game on CH7 with most of the audio muted because of him and listened to a more even non biased Radio network while this great game was going on today.

Enough is enough....rrrrrhhhhhh

GeoSid

makethat2

Team Captain
Jan 27, 2007
down the road
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Man utd
I think BT was clearly the better commentator today.

How often does Bruce ask pointless questions then put ah at the end?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Doc Hattori

Team Captain
Oct 5, 2008
Taylors Lakes
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Did anyone thing Bruce toned it down for the Anzac Day game. No "uncle Paulie", not too many "squueezies", not too many "off a steps" and thank God, no Poppies of the Hawthorn variety or man love. Hopefully BF is getting read in the corridors of power at Channel 7. The telecast was barely watchable today, which is a definite improvement.

On another note, where the fu67 did they get that clear footage of the touched goal that denied Collingwood a goal early in the game. Never seen anything that clear on channel 7 before. people bag the league about the goal review but on many occasions they are let down by the broadcaster.

May 20, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
BT needs another commentator to keep him in check and Bruce doesn't gel well with Den. It's strange to think though that pairing them up actually worked for the better, because it sounded like a nightmare on paper.

May 20, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Did anyone thing Bruce toned it down for the Anzac Day game. No "uncle Paulie", not too many "squueezies", not too many "off a steps" and thank God, no Poppies of the Hawthorn variety or man love. Hopefully BF is getting read in the corridors of power at Channel 7. The telecast was barely watchable today, which is a definite improvement.

On another note, where the fu67 did they get that clear footage of the touched goal that denied Collingwood a goal early in the game. Never seen anything that clear on channel 7 before. people bag the league about the goal review but on many occasions they are let down by the broadcaster.
Both of them just played it straight and called the footy with passion and without trying to be funny or go off topic. If only it remained this way.

Oct 12, 2008
The North of Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Basil Zempilas is easily the worst.

You could tell from the awkward silences he just didn't know who most of North Melbourne's players were. Every good thing Freo did he went crazy over, every good thing North did he pointed out what it was that Freo did wrong, and how this was so out of character for them, often bringing up some obscure stat. When we were in control of the ball, or taking the kickout, he was near-silent. It was like there was only one team playing last night, except for the times Dennis Cometti was commentating. It was entertaining to listen to him attempt to argue his weird observations with Wayne Carey though.

Back