Can anything be done about Bruce?

Remove this Banner Ad

Let's face it though. What are our relevant preferable alternatives?

Hudson, Roberts and probably Campbell

Shallow talent pool

I am available. My voice is exceptionally appealing with its depth and range as well as its ability to assure and explain to listeners. I also have an extensive vocabulary, excellent annunciation and am not a complete * knuckle that has no sense of what is right and proper for a broadcast.

I am available. My voice is exceptionally appealing with its depth and range as well as its ability to assure and explain to listeners. I also have an extensive vocabulary, excellent annunciation and am not a complete **** knuckle that has no sense of what is right and proper for a broadcast.

Yes but where's the 'entertainment factor' that appeals to a non-existent younger, brain-dead, comedy-based audience?

The commentator that irks me the most is bazil. Unless a player is from wa , he has no idea. Plus he his voice just sounds ridiculous when he wants tries to call a big play.

BT And darc are an embarrassment to the game. No other sport besides wwe do you get commentators carrying on like kids all game.

Dwayne Russell is ok but has anyone ever noticed that he tries to hard act as if a team is still in the game . 5 mins to go, 38 point margin , a team gets a rushed behind and he will say something like " and there's still life left In this side, don't turn away now"

Yes but where's the 'entertainment factor' that appeals to a non-existent younger, brain-dead, comedy-based audience?

Was about to say that the younger brigade around here certainly does not seem to like the 'entertainment factor', but then saw the non-existent bit :thumbsu:

That's the thing, who the hell out there is actually like "oh yeah better send in a tweet get it on TV!" and then types "Go Pies! Love Swanny!"...no one I've ever met has done that. Do they make them up?

What's worse is that there are people paid by 7 who think "* yeah this is winning" and put those tweets up.

Yeah was watching the Saints game the other night and the Saturday night crew were just chatting amongst themselves during play continuously about nothing. I am all for a good laugh but pick your moments. Also Dwayne Russell continously gets names wrong. On Saturday he was mixing up Sandilands and Pav and the week before he was calling Macrae Higgins. Can't be that hard!

Yep he does this all the time and we get stuck with him for 80% of our games. It's made even worse that he is a massive Port fan so is continuously cheering for the other team and putting in jibes against us.

IF I hear him call Chapman "Uncle Pauly" one more time, I might be arrested for violent conduct.

Totally sickening.

I understand, I do not like, but I understand when commentators call Ben McEvoy 'Big Boy McEvoy' now. BT combined with the Saints Saturday night games meant that it is actually a widely accepted nickname, whether in seriousness or in jest, people will still call him that. Other nicknames that seem to be widely accepted were/are "Harry O", "Buddy" and "Boomer". Fair enough, everyone calls them that, commentators are allowed to extenuate the game (to a point), and give the players more of an identity (I just wish umpires stopped with the mate-iness!)

But Uncle Pauly? Is this Bruces attempt at making a nickname for someone? WTF is Uncle Pauly? Who calls him that? I dare say even his nephews and nieces would only call him only Mr Chapman or Sir, 'Pauly' for an aggressive, bald, champion football player, what a joke I think.

Whatever happened to Michael Christian?

No nonsense, called the game straight and showed enthusiasm where appropriate. Didn't fawn over particular players and distribute nicknames to every player on the field.

It's a fairly shallow pool of commentating talent. Hudson, Christian, Roberts, Cometti, Whately, McGuire. Not too many beyond those come to mind.

McAvaney's obsession with Rioli makes it almost impossible to tune into a Hawks' game that he's commentating.

Drew Morphett.

I don't mind Matthews, Carey, Ling, Voss when they are the 3rd/4th guy and are there to give a bit more insight than merely "Ablett kicks the ball, Matera marks the ball" etc.

I think the problem is what is the wider problem with the main channels nowadays (7, 9, 10). It's pandering to your own 'celebrities' or 'stars', and forcing them on the public so much they become recognisable. It's always been a problem, but more so with s**t like "Dancing with the C-grade celebrities" or "C-grade celebrity masterchef" where networks get their own people to go own and they can then go on Sunrise the next morning to talk about it, or getting soap opera actors/actresses (refuse to call them stars) to host shows (like Australias Got Talent and Grant Denyer, who surprise surprise was off Sunrise weather and they used him on Australias Got Talent to continue to increase his brand).

This has now worked its way over to footy, where papers combine with channels (e.g. Herald Sun & Channel 7). You know, the Saturday night live cross to the Herald Sun studios to give us the news we are already caught up on thanks to the internet...and oh here we have the exceptionally untalented Basil Zempilas, he's worked at Seven for years, oh * it just give him a go at commentating games, being the live cross etc. Or the boys club where any brainless ex-AFL twit who wants to get a job at 7 commentating can (in this first exhibit you can see Harley, Richo & Darcy, and if you move onto the boundary line here we have the Cam Mooney). Rather than actually looking for talent to increase the 'viewability' of the show, they go for recognisable faces (whether it's through their own shove-it-in-your-face-until-they-are-recognisable, or whether that person made their own fame) because people will tune into the end product (footy, reality TV) anyway.

Shits me to tears. I literally don't watch anything on TV anymore bar football, any TV I watch is streamed/downloaded.

edit: This is how you call a Paul Chapman goal, none of this "Uncle Pauly can I say it Dennis centimeter perfect!"

Ok maybe not 100% unbiased but pretty damn hilarious, and sitting in the car you would still be able to understand Chapman has put Geelong in front by 6..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here's BT at imo his best - I see no problems with what he commentates here (it was obviously on MMM without the viewing, so just look at a different tab and listen - pretty excellent from BT I think).

You know what he's doing? He's commentating the game. None of this trying to force nicknames on players, no spiteful comments to Richo/Darce, no concentrating on non-factors, no concentrating on random stats or facts (a guy in his 5th game had an uncle who wore a tracksuit to training boy oh boy wowee), no stupid catchphrases (boy oh boy wowee, banana-na-na etc).

7 have ruined him, they've tried to make him 'entertaining' when he should just commentate.

Here's BT at imo his best - I see no problems with what he commentates here (it was obviously on MMM without the viewing, so just look at a different tab and listen - pretty excellent from BT I think).

You know what he's doing? He's commentating the game. None of this trying to force nicknames on players, no spiteful comments to Richo/Darce, no concentrating on non-factors, no concentrating on random stats or facts (a guy in his 5th game had an uncle who wore a tracksuit to training boy oh boy wowee), no stupid catchphrases (boy oh boy wowee, banana-na-na etc).

7 have ruined him, they've tried to make him 'entertaining' when he should just commentate.

Besides that they never manage any description of the free kick and another inaccuracies such as that Anthony is a long way from directly in front I get what you mean.

BT was a character when he started on radio and on TV due to his personality that shone through and a unique excitable voice. That's what we want. Catch phrases occasionally are fine. So are stories about West Perth or any of the other stuff Dennis goes on about.

BT has simply jumped the shark and then kept going and going and 7 set him up to encourage him.

Everyone has forgotten particularly with TV less is more. The commentators only need to read out names and describe intricate play. The special comments need to analyse the game with the odd stat and other detail about why a team is winning or losing. That's all we need.

Besides that they never manage any description of the free kick and another inaccuracies such as that Anthony is a long way from directly in front I get what you mean.

Just got caught up in the emotion, if you were driving home all you need to know is that Anthony has got a free kick and it's very very gettable

BT was a character when he started on radio and on TV due to his personality that shone through and a unique excitable voice. That's what we want. Catch phrases occasionally are fine. So are stories about West Perth or any of the other stuff Dennis goes on about.

BT has simply jumped the shark and then kept going and going and 7 set him up to encourage him.

Everyone has forgotten particularly with TV less is more. The commentators only need to read out names and describe intricate play. The special comments need to analyse the game with the odd stat and other detail about why a team is winning or losing. That's all we need.

Yeah, occasionally I can deal with it, if the moment needs it (i.e. Bruce just didn't bring out 'special' anytime back in the day, it had to be a real big moment for him to call it). Stories about a footballers past are also good, if he kicked a winning goal in the VFL and it's now a close match cool that's relevant, but if his uncle wore a tracksuit playing local Tassie league who cares?

Agree with the rest of what you said.

He was an outstanding commentator pre 2000, but he's lost the plot and it's time for him to move on.

Very true but the first time alarm bells rang for me was watching this match on TV when Moorcroft took this screamer. Just after it happened, Bruce says to the boys "I'm tingling, I don't know about you guys." I think this is where it all started and Bruce became Bahhhhruuuce.

Derwayne is annoying when there is 3 mins left team is up by 5 goals and the opposition kicks a goal and he just needs to make out that the losing side will kick the next 4 goals in no time.

"COULD THIS BE THE GOAL THAT COULD WIN THEM THE GAME? THERE IS STILL A LOT OF TIME.." clocks shows 1.45 and team is 4 goals behind.

They need to get some new blood in...and not retired players. There are other callers out there, on radio etc. that should be given a go - Rob Waters, Darren Boyd, Bruce Eva etc.. At least give them a try, plus being new they wouldn't bring their ego with them and would just call the game.

They need to get some new blood in...and not retired players. There are other callers out there, on radio etc. that should be given a go - Rob Waters, Darren Boyd, Bruce Eva etc.. At least give them a try, plus being new they wouldn't bring their ego with them and would just call the game.

Did you hear him shamelessly barracking for his Saints the other night on 3aw during their win over the Bombers? Just as bad as the guys over on the west coast, not at all professional.

Does anyone have the impression that Channel 7 actually think he's a good commentator,
After talking to someone at the station last year, Channel 7 have no idea that anyone thinks their broadcasts are anything but perfection.

Basil is atrocious. I say this everytime a thread about commentary comes about that Clinton Grybas was by far the best commentator that ever graced a microphone.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back