Play Nice Will Geelong win the 2016 premiership?

Where do you think the Cats will finish this year?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

If Geelong can keep their important players fit, then it's hard to see them climb up the ladder. Too much talent on their list.
Do you mean "hard NOT to see them climb up the ladder"?

You're right though. It will come down to injuries, or lack thereof

I find it odd that the everyone in the media seems to scared pot Geelong.

Wholesale top ups generally end in disaster, especially when you are trying to jump from outside the 8 to a contender.

You need to get nearly there and the add a player here and there to fill holes.

Scott Has been overating his list for a long time now.
Hawthorn in 09 just missed the finals then traded picks for Gibson and Burgoyne. A disaster that was.

Hmm. I'd say its make or break for Mitch, i.e., he couldn't possibly move to another club now if he decided Geelong wasn't the right fit. Worst case, he will give it away for good. Best case, we get 15 - 18 games a season out of him.
I guess it was a bit tongue in cheek. Probably a bit bitter still that we landed him for the price he wanted, he went through all his mental health problems which is fine, we totally supported him and then he decided to play footy again but not for us.

Look if he gets on the park good on him, I reckon he is a really good player when up and about and you have an incredibly potent forward line should it all click.

Hawthorn in 09 just missed the finals then traded picks for Gibson and Burgoyne. A disaster that was.
Good point. But I think the problem with Geelong is that Enright and Bartel are in their last season, Mackie, Lonergan also may very well be, and a lot of pressure falls on Hawkins up forward without Clarke. I think they will miss the boat, purely because their veterans are past it and they simply do not have the depth to push for top 4. They'll be a side within the mix for top 8, within the mix and not guaranteed, and I think that is about it. In saying that, they may very well surprise because teams like Richmond, Western Bulldogs, and Adelaide may slide out.

They won the flag the year before and had a one off bad season with a youngish squad then picked up two players to address specific needs.

Geelong have been on a constant downward trend since 2011 with an aging list and seem to be selling the farm for anyone who is willing to come over.

It's completely different.

I think they have done very well this trade period.

Obviously we'll see the last of Enright and Bartel, but the rest of their list is in very nice shape. There certainly won't be a bottoming out.

Great core group of players. I just think they need Motlop, Duncan, Caddy etc to go to that next level.

Having Vardy back will be nice. Exciting list.

Geelong have been on a constant downward trend since 2011 with an aging list and seem to be selling the farm for anyone who is willing to come over.

At least we are ahead of Hawthorn in terms of succession planning. You still have to face losing Hodge, Burgoyne, Mitchell, Lewis, and life without Lake.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They won the flag the year before and had a one off bad season with a youngish squad then picked up two players to address specific needs.

Geelong's results in the H&A season
2011 - 2nd
2012- 6th
2013- 2nd
2014- 3rd
2015- 10th

Constant slide is not how I would describe it. I would say consistently strong prior to this season with no discernible trend is a more apt description.

Geelong will not finish out of the 8 again from next year until at least 2020.

10th is rock bottom for the cats. Next year Geelong will improve and play finals but a flag is extremely unlikely.

Geelong's results in the H&A season
2011 - 2nd
2012- 6th
2013- 2nd
2014- 3rd
2015- 10th

Constant slide is not how I would describe it. I would say consistently strong prior to this season with no discernible trend is a more apt description.

The season doesn't end after the home and away season. 1 finals win in 4 years tells the real story.

The season doesn't end after the home and away season. 1 finals win in 4 years tells the real story.

Well I don't agree. At no stage since 2011 have I had any confidence in the team winning the following premiership. I never felt we were more than making up the numbers until now. Mostly because this is the first time in years that I've felt the balance could be right. There is still a lot up in the air, chiefly we need one of our young ruckmen to step up and be competitive. But Stanley, Vardy and potentially Z.Smith are all the right age, there is hope there, the rest of the team is fine.

We won the competition with a forward line of Mooney and N.Ablett. Hawkins and Clarke is a big step up on that, Hawkins and anybody is a step up. We've got a ripping midfield now and the backline is a bit long in the tooth but as long as we can control possession slow down entry inside 50 it should hold up. I don't see a lot of problems, if a few things go right we could definitely be contending for the flag.

If we only have a couple of long term injuries I really don't see how we don't win the flag. Something would have to go horribly wrong with team cohesion/coaching for it not to occur or a massive GF choke like in 2008. Ofcourse the chances of us only having a couple of long term injuries seems very slim given the last three years.

Top 4 or bust after this trade period, they will have traded away all picks from this year and next year. Cats have nowhere to hide if this goes wrong, big risk v reward, it could work wonders or it could set them to the bottom regions on the ladder.
Yes fair enough but apart from hawks who are likely going to dip soon the rest of the comp really isn't that good. There is a window next 2 years before the quality powerhouses of gws gold coast and dog's come through

Well I don't agree. At no stage since 2011 have I had any confidence in the team winning the following premiership. I never felt we were more than making up the numbers until now. Mostly because this is the first time in years that I've felt the balance could be right. There is still a lot up in the air, chiefly we need one of our young ruckmen to step up and be competitive. But Stanley, Vardy and potentially Z.Smith are all the right age, there is hope there, the rest of the team is fine.

We won the competition with a forward line of Mooney and N.Ablett. Hawkins and Clarke is a big step up on that, Hawkins and anybody is a step up. We've got a ripping midfield now and the backline is a bit long in the tooth but as long as we can control possession slow down entry inside 50 it should hold up. I don't see a lot of problems, if a few things go right we could definitely be contending for the flag.
Don't know how you'll slow down entry against fast and skilful midfields and control possession on teams getting a jump on you. Next year your back line will be your weakest link. That'll hurt you.

Back