Competition Can-Am Premiership 2015 - CHAMPIONS INDIANA BLUEBIRDS

Remove this Banner Ad

I think that for 2nd tier or reserves competitions, this should absolutely be the go, and IIRC, Maxwell has said this might be happening in the NAFL reserves?

I agree with this 100%.

But for 1st division competitions, templates and presentation etc are so important and they deserve to be. lmach is the main driver of this sort of quality. He does something new and unique every time and it gives him an advantage that we all follow.

While there are only a few templates now, since the shaded template is over 50% used, I'm mostly talking about the jumper designs.

Letting us have a look at his designs before we enter means we can do our own version of his newest feature and completely take away his competitive advantage, which isn't really fair on him in a competition. The same goes for everyone else. If Bacon Warrior or Dylan or Stormy or E92 have a secret weapon heading into this NAFL season, and i'm allowed to see it before I resubmit my designs, it will completely ruin their advantage and give them no benefit for being innovative.

Generally, this was for during the comp for those teams that did everything right to get into the elite divisions but aren't competing well enough. So that they aren't dropped, and a second team of an existing entrant gets entered.

Innovation is the key to these things continuing to be interesting.
Yes it does, and if we can make it more competitive then those innovators have to keep pushing their skills as well.

While workshops are fine for people to develop, I think the comps is where players are more behind their team, as they chose their team, name, colours, etc,. so are more committed to them, so they want to work harder in improving them.

But this is off topic now to the CANAM, and probably should be addressed elsewhere.

I agree with this 100%.

While there are only a few templates now, since the shaded template is over 50% used, I'm mostly talking about the jumper designs.

Generally, this was for during the comp for those teams that did everything right to get into the elite divisions but aren't competing well enough. So that they aren't dropped, and a second team of an existing entrant gets entered.

Yes it does, and if we can make it more competitive then those innovators have to keep pushing their skills as well.

While workshops are fine for people to develop, I think the comps is where players are more behind their team, as they chose their team, name, colours, etc,. so are more committed to them, so they want to work harder in improving them.

But this is off topic now to the CANAM, and probably should be addressed elsewhere.

I probably would have been more sympathetic to this standpoint when there was only one or two league comps per year.

I know in the IFA I was so disappointed with how far my design was compared to everyone else that I didn't even open threads for most of it.

But these days we have the NAFL, FIRA, Can-Am, ANAL and Copa America, as well as a few different weekly comps.

There are heaps of opportunities to have another crack and improve your skills.

Allowing people to change their designs mid competition gives people who have more time to do that an advantage, and it gives people who have genuinely innovated and done something new and interesting a disadvantage.

With regards to some people having two teams in the top league, I don't really agree that you can just shunt these 2nd teams to the bottom division. It's not fair that an experience, seasoned designer puts in a 2nd team and the developing people have to compete with that. If lmach or Bacon Warrior entered a 2nd team, it wouldn't be fair to everyone in the 2nd div if they had to compete with that sort of quality, and that's not what a 2nd div is about.

In fairness to craegus, he's moved teams around to try to keep each league as balanced as possible and to avoid the sort of 20-0 margins we occasionally see. There's nothing wrong with that, and it will make it more interesting for everyone. It's absolutely no fun getting flogged every week, and trust me, i've been there several times in these sorts of comps.

I'll be handling this idea of divisions a little bit differently in the next FIRA season, and some people will probably not be 100% happy with that, but i'm making a change to end up with the best competition possible.

Perhaps if these comps (I say this about all comps) were to help people develop their skills, and allowing people to redesign and submit their 'leveled up' designs would be more beneficial.

If people are seeing their designs not being voted for and are lacking in some way, then giving them a chance to resubmit to compete better would be a smarter option, making the comp more competitive.Rather than demoting them from the beginning, especially those that are eager to participate in these comps(submitting early), and itching to improve from feedback. To use the club metaphor, if a club wants to improve, they change tactics, promote rookies, they don't keep the same structure for the whole year, and even sack coaches. If you're not winning or being competitive you need to have a chance to change.

Personally, I think most of these comps are too rigid in this, when the first round starts and people are already calling it quits instead of thinking, 'right, I need to fix this now' isn't beneficial in improving skills, or developing. Comps are locked for their 3-4 months and no one can do any resubmits, only just sit there and wait until next year or next comp. At least with uni you get an assignment at least 1-3 weeks, to allow you to work harder, and real life, you have to fix your problem straight away.

Developing should be encouraged, not stifled.

And while I haven't run a comp to know from experience, I would think that just updating a database with redos wouldn't be difficult, considering the crap I have to do in real life.
We have a comp that addresses this problem entirely, although it hasn't been seen in a few weeks. I think it was NM_Mitchell who was running the FJGD Championship?

Eliitti and Oppilas are not grades (firsts and reserves), they are equal level conferences that at the moment feature a slight gap in the average design skill of the participants. You can see this with every graphic I have produced for this competition and will see it with the ladders/tables as well.

That is why there is cross over games and the ability of anyone from either conference to win the title.

The hope is that within a season or 2 the level of designs in both conferences will be almost equal and interchangeable.

So with that, no one has been promoted or demoted, they have been realigned to create the most even conferences that are possible at this time.

This is why the board is going downhill fast.

Who cares if you're in the top or bottom division, who cares if you're ranked #1 or #32, who cares if you get every vote for the year or no votes for the year, the point of these competitions is to showcase how clever and innovative we are as designers and I know they are 'competitions' by the competition should be with yourself to make you better.

Sorry for ranting again but at the end of the day, these competitions should make each person think and create whatever they want and see what other people do.

Eliitti and Oppilas are not grades (firsts and reserves), they are equal level conferences that at the moment feature a slight gap in the average design skill of the participants. You can see this with every graphic I have produced for this competition and will see it with the ladders/tables as well.

That is why there is cross over games and the ability of anyone from either conference to win the title.

The hope is that within a season or 2 the level of designs in both conferences will be almost equal and interchangeable.

So with that, no one has been promoted or demoted, they have been realigned to create the most even conferences that are possible at this time.

Thanks Craegus, this clears this up. I think there was a misunderstanding of the 1st and 2nds thought process, perhaps I myself didn't read things clearly in this respect. Similar to the American football divisions, or the Basketball conferences.

Good job on setting up this equality.

We have a comp that addresses this problem entirely, although it hasn't been seen in a few weeks. I think it was NM_Mitchell who was running the FJGD Championship?
I handballed that off to Bacon Warrior and i think he did one or two, but forgot about it.

I guess i'll pick it up again if no one wants to run it if there's demand for it to return.

i just want the season to start already tbh

Just waiting on Norm (who has a bit of leeway as he was the late inclusion but is on track to submit soon), simba_'s full set and an updated home kit from Grandsun and we will be good to get going.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bunch of losers.

Love a good logo.

You want logos? You got 'em...

All%20Logos.png

Wisconsin%20Cows%20Logo%20Collage.png

It didn't occur to me to go all French. It would have separated me from craegus' Montreal team, and theoretically attracted the French supporters.

Your logo is good but it is not Montreal, firstly you used the maple leaf though it is a Canadian thing it is more Toronto the Montreal.
The Fluer de Lis would be a better match for your side.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back