Gym & Misc Cancelling Gym Membership in favour of Home Gym

Remove this Banner Ad

vonn

Bigfooty Legend
10k Posts Pokemon is Life Meet-Up Master Pantskyle Podcaster WCE Wings Guernsey Casey Tutungi Future Fund
Sep 29, 2008
AFL Club
Sydney
Hi everyone,

Recently I've been weighing up if there is much benefit in me keeping a gym membership. I'm starting to think what I do can be substituted at home and consequently save myself thousands given I don't require excessively heavy weights. I was thinking of purchasing free weights, barbell, kettle, resistance bands and adding swimming, skipping, pilates and boxing. However I'm not sure if I'm missing anything, does anyone who have made the switch have any advice?

Made the switch about 3 years ago. Takes some time to accumulate the equipment needed, but I bought this for the variety it provides:

19A215069669255223A06E9846AF2ECE.jpg

Along with a bench press I bought and 2-3 barbells, it just about gives me everything I need.

If you're just looking for a few sets of dumbbells/free weights and a bench etc, you'll find some bargains online or on ebay.

Much prefer training at home, which is why I decided to do it.

I would suggest Olympic weights versus standard. If you are only looking at lighter weights the bar itself can be a starting point at 20-25 kilos.

If you plan to put a bag up at home - get a heavy one that wont blow around in the wind the first time you hit it.

Made the switch about 3 years ago. Takes some time to accumulate the equipment needed, but I bought this for the variety it provides:

19A215069669255223A06E9846AF2ECE.jpg

Along with a bench press I bought and 2-3 barbells, it just about gives me everything I need.

If you're just looking for a few sets of dumbbells/free weights and a bench etc, you'll find some bargains online or on ebay.

Much prefer training at home, which is why I decided to do it.
Where did you get your barbells from?

Where did you get your barbells from?

Got them from Gym and Fitness, quite reasonably priced and quality is decent enough for home usage. There used to be a store in Dandenong that closed down a few months ago, in their closing down sale I absolutely cleaned up and bought two 6 ft barbells plus an extra 80kg plates for about $130 in total.

Rebel Sport also had decent prices for barbells and weight plates. Like always, it depends on who you talk to there and how friendly they are. That barbell I know use for squatting, very stavle stable.

The squat rack above was from Gym Direct, I called them and they were quite helpful in pricing up some other items included in one sale (ie, I also acquired some more weights and dumbells etc in that transaction).

It really does depend though on what you're seeking, and what your budget is etc.

But other than that, there's plenty of bargains online buddy if you have a good look. Gumtree and eBay are good places to start.

Personally, I wanted new equipment but from a quick look above, there was plenty of variety available second hand.

Got them from Gym and Fitness, quite reasonably priced and quality is decent enough for home usage. There used to be a store in Dandenong that closed down a few months ago, in their closing down sale I absolutely cleaned up and bought two 6 ft barbells plus an extra 80kg plates for about $130 in total.

The squat rack above was from Gym Direct, I called them and they were quite helpful in pricing up some other items included in one sale (ie, I also acquired some more weights and dumbells etc in that transaction).

It really does depend though on what you're seeking, and what your budget is etc.

But other than that, there's plenty of bargains online buddy if you have a good look. Gumtree and eBay are good places to start.

Personally, I wanted new equipment but from a quick look above, there was plenty of variety available second hand.
I have a pretty decent set up at the moment. Solid rack heaps of weight.. I've got about 250kg~ in plates including commercial grade bumpers.. variety of resistance bands... olympic rings.. the only thing is I only have one barbell.. it's solid but it's a little thick the diameter of the bar which makes it hard to get a grip when deadlifting.. I don't want to buy a deadlift bar because I am not that serious about lifting but if I found something cheap I would be keen to invest in a better barbell..

Yeah I went Gym and Fitness before bought plates there quite cheap.. not sure if it was there Dandenong store.. I got most of my stuff off ebay and gumtree..

Hi everyone,

Recently I've been weighing up if there is much benefit in me keeping a gym membership. I'm starting to think what I do can be substituted at home and consequently save myself thousands given I don't require excessively heavy weights. I was thinking of purchasing free weights, barbell, kettle, resistance bands and adding swimming, skipping, pilates and boxing. However I'm not sure if I'm missing anything, does anyone who have made the switch have any advice?

Why is your username in red?

I have a pretty decent set up at the moment. Solid rack heaps of weight.. I've got about 250kg~ in plates including commercial grade bumpers.. variety of resistance bands... olympic rings.. the only thing is I only have one barbell.. it's solid but it's a little thick the diameter of the bar which makes it hard to get a grip when deadlifting.. I don't want to buy a deadlift bar because I am not that serious about lifting but if I found something cheap I would be keen to invest in a better barbell..

Yeah I went Gym and Fitness before bought plates there quite cheap.. not sure if it was there Dandenong store.. I got most of my stuff off ebay and gumtree..

Sounds like a great set up you've got there. Took me a while to realise how versatile resistance bands are. Sometimes when I can't be bothered changing around the plates for the bench barbell to the squat barbell, I use the bands with the pegs on the squat rack. Just as effective.

If it's just a barbell you need, I recall heaps of options on Gumtree. Depending on your budget, Gym Direct had 6ft ones from about $50 onwards.

I went the other way, but still use stuff at home fairly regularly. Still have plans to fit out my garage properly with a few things, but at the moment with funds the way they are I'm going to use the gym at uni/it's new and modern and rarely busy. :thumbsu:

So - at the moment, this is what my cart looks like. The only thing that is blatantly missing is a barbell (for squats) but I'll see if I can get away with just squat jumps and kettle or dumbbells for now (to save $$$.)

Any advice? Is their anything in here that I could cut out? Need to add? Too expensive? I personally think with what I do at the gym, this is sufficient.

Screen Shot 2015-11-04 at 4.26.38 PM.png

Possibly get a range of bands if they are something you use often.

I'll be honest and say I'm quite new to resistance bands so the whole sizing and jazz is all new to me. I'm hoping I can use them to replicate some of the leg work I already do on machines. Leg Curl... Leg Extension and the awkward one where you spread your legs (whatever that's called.)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll be honest and say I'm quite new to resistance bands so the whole sizing and jazz is all new to me. I'm hoping I can use them to replicate some of the leg work I already do on machines. Leg Curl... Leg Extension and the awkward one where you spread your legs (whatever that's called.)

I think you should refer to it as hip abductions rather than leg spreading from now on!

You could buy a pack of bands for around $30 which will allow you to try varying levels of resistance as you train. I don't use them much outside of leg work either, but if you want to start training at home, it is definitely a cheap option.

I think you should refer to it as hip abductions rather than leg spreading from now on!

You could buy a pack of bands for around $30 which will allow you to try varying levels of resistance as you train. I don't use them much outside of leg work either, but if you want to start training at home, it is definitely a cheap option.

Ah thank you! It has been killing me that I forgot the name. Where did you see that price at? Rebel?

Ah thank you! It has been killing me that I forgot the name. Where did you see that price at? Rebel?
Have a look on ebay, there are plenty of resistance band packs. I can't vouch for quality, but even the expensive brand name bands typically only have a 3 month warranty, so it says something about the nature of the product.

Cancelled my membership a month or so ago in favour of running/swimming. I'm saving $60 a month, am feeling as fit as ever and my core is beginning to regain its tone (probably because I've dropped the protein powder).

RE weights at home, it's a great money/time saving idea. You've clearly done your research OP, and have found the right equipment to tailor to your needs. I'm personally holding off on splashing coin at the moment; I spend most of my spare time in the Surf which does a fair job at keeping my body in shape.

Cancelled my membership a month or so ago in favour of running/swimming. I'm saving $60 a month, am feeling as fit as ever and my core is beginning to regain its tone (probably because I've dropped the protein powder).

RE weights at home, it's a great money/time saving idea. You've clearly done your research OP, and have found the right equipment to tailor to your needs. I'm personally holding off on splashing coin at the moment; I spend most of my spare time in the Surf which does a fair job at keeping my body in shape.

After 3 years at my gym it just felt like the mental drain of training in the same environment was weighing (punny) me down and impeding progress because my motivation died. Add the $70 a month and you feel guilty if you're too sick/busy to go and whatnot. I'm really looking forward to training outdoors by the beach and having that sweet ocean air instead of the air-conditioned - sweaty gym smell, so I'm glad to hear that it worked out well for you!

I stopped going to the gym about 5 years ago, I have got a power cage, chin up & dip bar, cable cross over, fully adjustable free standing bench, Dumbbells from 5kg to 50kg, barbells, heavy bag, speed ball and last but not least a skipping rope.

If I want to run or ride I just hit the roads.

That's all you need

Get a TRX they are the best. BigW have the Guy Leech on sale for $49 down from $99 every few months. Its heavy duty, smooth to opperate and will last a lifetime.

Are there any that doesn't have to be nailed into a wall or somehow permanently attached to my house? I don't think I'll have enough room sadly.

Are there any that doesn't have to be nailed into a wall or somehow permanently attached to my house? I don't think I'll have enough room sadly.
They all come with a door attachment so its used on the door side when its closed, fool proof. Plus they are great to hang of a tree or swing if you want to workout outside.
It was developed by an ex SAS and they use them when on combat as it only weighs around 1kg and you can tailor the workout from so easy to mega hard. The Guy Leech one for 49 bucks is outstounding value.

*the door attachment slips over the top of the door so their is no need to fix it permantly

Remove this Banner Ad

Back