Gym & Misc Cancelling Gym Membership in favour of Home Gym

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone have it in stock in their area and want to grab an extra one for me? :D
I'll cover shipping.

Local BigW didn't have any, even no empty space. I wonder if they are stopping selling it.

Neither did mine! Couldn't even find where it use to have been on the shelf.

On a different note - what's the best at-home exercise to replicate the effects of the leg curl, leg extension and hip abductor?

Also - I do my current chin-ups/pull-ups assisted (about 5 or 12kg), what other exercise will work the same muscle groups?

Anyone got any links?

Also - I do my current chin-ups/pull-ups assisted (about 5 or 12kg), what other exercise will work the same muscle groups?

Anyone got any links?

You could get a chin up bar so you can keep doing the real thing.

I've got one of these set up in my home gym:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-HOME...PULLUP-EXERCISE-DOOR-EQUIPMENT-/231001807196?

but if you don't have a door you can screw one into properly you can get a removable one like this:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Door-Gym...e-Door-Pull-Up-Chin-Up-Dip-Bar-/161387338964?

You could get a chin up bar so you can keep doing the real thing.

I've got one of these set up in my home gym:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-HOME...PULLUP-EXERCISE-DOOR-EQUIPMENT-/231001807196?

but if you don't have a door you can screw one into properly you can get a removable one like this:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Door-Gym...e-Door-Pull-Up-Chin-Up-Dip-Bar-/161387338964?

The issue is I can't really do it unassisted at all at the moment, so do I just keep struggling until I can? I feel like it may be more productive if I find a different exercise that works the same muscle group...

The issue is I can't really do it unassisted at all at the moment, so do I just keep struggling until I can? I feel like it may be more productive if I find a different exercise that works the same muscle group...
Get a resistance strap and tie it to the chin up bar and put your foot in it. Works a treat.

It's a pretty hard one to replicate without a lat pulldown machine. You could do rows to try build your back strength in the meantime, but you'd need access to a decent amount of weight for that to transfer over to bodyweight chins.

You could try that resistance strap trick, only problem is that will also decrease resistance on the eccentric phase which is when you could be building some strength until you can complete the concentric portion properly. You could try something similar with a chair - where you assist yourself up but then lower yourself down slowly unassisted. A door chin up bar is usually low enough that you wouldn't even need a chair to give yourself a boost unless you're really short.

You could also try jumping up and doing partial reps in the easier upper half of the movement, then as you get stronger slowly increase the ROM.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think I would lose motivation to exercise with a home gym. The thing I love about crossfit is the community feel and encouragement from others. It makes me work harder too.

It's a rare breed who can successfully keep up a home gym based program.
The best way to keep up your home training is if you make up programs, I search the net find programs I like then make them suit my equipment, if I pick a ten week block I have to stick to it. After a while you will be able to make your own to suit your current goals which I do as well.

This year I did a block of 531, then an advanced German volume 55 day, then a high definition 6 week which I enjoyed so pushed it for 2 more weeks, and I last week finished a 8 strength building block, next I will do a 6 week with more cardio boxing and less weights with higher reps.

I think I would lose motivation to exercise with a home gym. The thing I love about crossfit is the community feel and encouragement from others. It makes me work harder too.

absolutely. Crossfit has alot of bullshit but people forget just encouraging people to goto the gym works wonders.

I also prefer the gym because it reduces the amount of time my wife has to nag me to do stuff. If i was working out at home i very much doubt I would get an uninterrupted 1 hour every night!

absolutely. Crossfit has alot of bullshit but people forget just encouraging people to goto the gym works wonders.

I also prefer the gym because it reduces the amount of time my wife has to nag me to do stuff. If i was working out at home i very much doubt I would get an uninterrupted 1 hour every night!
I train AM when the wife and kids are asleep, The thing I like about home training is you don't have wait for equipment or substitute an exercise because there is others using it.

is it just as good as TRX? I feel like i want to get a TRX but paying $250 for a brand (or even $150 on gumtree for a used one) seems a bit silly
I use the real TRX at the gym and have a Guy Leech at home and the only real difference is the smoothness of the ratchet that alters the length, nothing wrong with the Guy Leech but the TRX is as smooth as silk, and the TRX strapping is a little lighter and more flexible for smaller and tighter packaging when on the go.

Apart from that for the price I coldn't fault the Guy Leech as its really well made and should last a lifetime, and recomment it 100% But i have the feel its been discontinued as BigW now have an entire different Guy Leech range.

I use the real TRX at the gym and have a Guy Leech at home and the only real difference is the smoothness of the ratchet that alters the length, nothing wrong with the Guy Leech but the TRX is as smooth as silk, and the TRX strapping is a little lighter and more flexible for smaller and tighter packaging when on the go.

Apart from that for the price I coldn't fault the Guy Leech as its really well made and should last a lifetime, and recomment it 100% But i have the feel its been discontinued as BigW now have an entire different Guy Leech range.
Im actually committed to buying a TRX home off a gumtree advert for $80 so i guess it doesnt matter now. Seen a lot of good athletes use these nowdays so they can do gym wherever they are travelling

if you want a bit of easy watching, check out Stina Troest on Instagram

https://www.instagram.com/stinatroest/

When the SAS are deployed on a mission TRX is packed in their kit as it's their main source of exercise.

This is the Guy Leech basic chart, it isn't to bad especially for beginers.

22946444479_0b8caafd3e_b.jpg

Thats pretty good - I have the TRX app which is pretty decent too imo. Gives you vids of each exercise and a workout timer.

I have recently let my gym membership run out too - being a distance runner I dont feel the need for platforms etc so I'll just use the TRX

Remove this Banner Ad

Back