Can't lose my gut.

Remove this Banner Ad

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 - Orazio Fantasia, Anthony McDonald Tipungwuti, Shaun McKernan Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 - Orazio Fantasia, Anthony McDonald Tipungwuti, Shaun McKernan Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
A couple of years ago I was quite overweight. Not obese by any means but definitely a few extra kilos. The last year I have hit the gym and completed several boot camps. I am eating sensibly. However, I cannot seem to lose my gut. I am starting to look rather ridiculous because the rest of me is toned and athletic looking. I am a type 1 diabetic and inject insulin four times a day. I have heard that it is extremely hard for diabetics to lose stomach fat. Does anyone have any suggestions how I can do this?

Post up your diet for a start & we'll go from there.
I know plenty of RIPT diabetics.

Ok.

Breakfast:
4 Vita Brits with skim milk

Snack:
Apple and Banana

Lunch:
Tuna on wholemeal sandwich

Snack:
Crackers and dip

Dinner:
Stir Fry with noodles

Snack:
Fruit Sorbet (Yonanas)

I have three or four coffees and one to two litres of water. I drink a lot of soda with lime juice.

That's an average day. I might change the food around a bit but pretty much the same kilojoules.

Ok.

Breakfast:
4 Vita Brits with skim milk

Snack:
Apple and Banana

Lunch:
Tuna on wholemeal sandwich

Snack:
Crackers and dip

Dinner:
Stir Fry with noodles

Snack:
Fruit Sorbet (Yonanas)

I have three or four coffees and one to two litres of water. I drink a lot of soda with lime juice.

That's an average day. I might change the food around a bit but pretty much the same kilojoules.

Firstly- I like the idea of the yonana but can't work mine properly!

Mate to be honest your diet needs some adjusting if your concentrating on trimming the tummy.
You can exercise all you like but if your diet is poor then so will be the results.
Plus the is some evidence suggested that the right diet will eliminate diabetes.

Seems like you love your coffee so you should look into a Bullet Proof coffee for breakfast, see Bullet proof lifestyle thread.

You diet contains too many processed foods which causes inflammation & retains fluid, could be the your stomach fat issue.
Breakfast.
Vita Brits n skim milk offers no nutrients what's so ever , all it does is give you a big insulin spike & create further.
Eggs would be a much better option.

Snack.
If your breakfast is satisfactory then you shouldn't require snacks.

Lunch.
Tuna would be my last last last resort as a protein source.
Beef, lamb, chicken, sardines, local non farmed fish a better option .
Ditch the bread, have salad or steamed vege instead, or left overs from the night befores dinner.

Snack.
If lunch is fulfilling like breakfast then a mid arvo snack isn't required.
Crackers n dip are a poor choice if so.

Dinner.
Stir fry fine if mainly meat n vege.
White is Better than noodles.
Zucchini noodles or cauliflower rice are good option if viable.

Snack.
If I was going to eat after dinner I wouldn't eat something that spikes insulin.
If trying to loose weight around your stomach then not eating after 8pm is a good start.

My advice is to cut, dairy , wheat, flour & grains out of your diet as much as possible & increase the amount of quality saturated fats-Coconut oil, grass fed butter, nut butters n oils, avocado.
Try this for a month & I'm sure you'll notice the difference.

I feel sorry for diabetics because the diet advice given to them is generally a disgrace.

Best brand for zucchini noodles ablett? Will give them a go

Home brand, DIY!
Can't find a supplier yet , squash noodles are available though.
About three medium or two large zucchinis should be ample per person.
You can use a spiralizer or a peeler.
Vitamix has a plastic contraption that you can slide the zucchini through & it slices into noodles.
You save yourself a lot of calories by swithcing the traditional pasta/noodles to zucchini noodles.
Cauliflower rice is another good alternative to regular rice when low carbing.

did i just read that the right diet can eliminate type 1 diabetes?

i hope not...

do you inject in the same spot all the time? that can leave an "bump" if you do (wife is type 1)...she has been quite lean for a big build in the past so it can be done

Can I ask why you have stated that tuna would be your last resort as a protein source? Just curious that's all.
Without sounding like a **** I am fairly cut and I eat tuna basically every day.

Mate to be honest your diet needs some adjusting if your concentrating on trimming the tummy.
You can exercise all you like but if your diet is poor then so will be the results.
Plus the is some evidence suggested that the right diet will eliminate diabetes.

Seems like you love your coffee so you should look into a Bullet Proof coffee for breakfast, see Bullet proof lifestyle thread.

You diet contains too many processed foods which causes inflammation & retains fluid, could be the your stomach fat issue.
Breakfast.
Vita Brits n skim milk offers no nutrients what's so ever , all it does is give you a big insulin spike & create further.

Snack.

Lunch.
Ditch the bread, have salad or steamed vege instead, or left overs from the night befores dinner.

Snack.

Dinner.

Snack.
If I was going to eat after dinner I wouldn't eat something that spikes insulin.
If trying to loose weight around your stomach then not eating after 8pm is a good start.

My advice is to cut, dairy , wheat, flour & grains out of your diet as much as possible & increase the amount of quality saturated fats-Coconut oil, grass fed butter, nut butters n oils, avocado.

I feel sorry for diabetics because the diet advice given to them is generally a disgrace.

That's not a bad list of advice (insulin spike comments aside). Agree on ditching the Vita Brits. Eggs are a good option, throw in some spinach or some such; or if you want to have grains for breakfast, cycle them on workout days and go with oats and seeds, maybe some dried apricot (although I know ablett won't agree on this). Ditching bread is another obvious point, same with the noodles; as is not eating after 8pm. I would also suggest getting off the soda and lime juice and replacing it with green tea throughout the day instead, iced if you like. A good table spoon of quality Tie Guan Yin tea should make up about a litre bottle. Infuse it before bed and refrigerate overnight.

Then there's supplements you could look into to help give you a push. Rasberry ketones, L-Carnetine, Green Tea extract, lecithin. Do your own research and trial what you think might work for you.

As someone else suggested, take a look at the IF thread, but of course consult with your doctor as there'd be issues regarding the dose and timing of your insulin injections. Might not be worth the hassle.

Breakfast.

Snack.

Lunch.

Snack.

Dinner.

Snack.

Thanks for the advice. Will try to take it on board. Yonanas is brilliant. The reason I have tuna is my cholesterol is slightly high and the doctor suggested I eat a tin of tuna every day.
Diet and exercise can control blood sugar but not eliminate diabetes. Once you have diabetes it is there for the rest of your life. You can keep your blood sugar low through diet and exercise but slacken off a bit and it goes up again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i hope not...

do you inject in the same spot all the time? that can leave an "bump" if you do (wife is type 1)...she has been quite lean for a big build in the past so it can be done
I alternate spots.
I have tried Celebrity Slim shakes in the past and they did work but I was hypoing too much.

Thanks for the advice. Will try to take it on board. Yonanas is brilliant. The reason I have tuna is my cholesterol is slightly high and the doctor suggested I eat a tin of tuna every day.
Diet and exercise can control blood sugar but not eliminate diabetes. Once you have diabetes it is there for the rest of your life. You can keep your blood sugar low through diet and exercise but slacken off a bit and it goes up again.

Don't rely on Doctors for diet/nutrition advice, majority of'm are unhealthy.
There was a doco on the ABC recently proving quality saturated fat has no link to heart disease or increased cholesterol levels & I'm tipping your levels are fine anyway, unless their over 7 I would be too concerned.
The problem with Tuna is it lacks fat so I'd be drowning it in olive oil if I was to eat it.

I alternate spots.
I have tried Celebrity Slim shakes in the past and they did work but I was hypoing too much.

Those type of meal replacement/diet shakes have similar sugar to a can of coke.
The sad part is they are endorsed by a lot of Doctors, Docs know regular consumption will bring them busuiness!

Serious? All my reading and research points to that as one of the biggest crocks and cons.

I know some who claim success and others who say it's useless. There have been a number of rat and mice studies indicating increased oxidation of fatty acids. On humans there's been the Ohio Research Group's pilot study on athletes that suggested enhanced oxidation of body fat after exercise and another double-blind human study where raspberry ketones were combined with some other ingredients (I think caffeine, garlic, ginger and something else) and the test group achieved greater fat loss than the control group. I agree that there is nothing at all definitive on its efficacy in humans, but as I said, do your own research and trial what you think may work for you.

i hope not...
Some people have eliminated type 1 through diet.

it wont totally cure every diabetic, but you can certainly vastly improve your lot in life as a type 1 diabetic going either raw food vegan or HFLC.

I recommend your wife watches these two documentaries.

Hard to beat Caffeine-biotin-choline combo as a fat burner but it's irrelevant if they rest of your diet is poor.
Green tea added to combo good to, properties in green tea can act as appetite suppressant but 5 cups a day can lower. Your testosterone levels by 20%!

I havent watched those yet Evo, but are they talking type 2? That is common to reverse with diet but type 1 is a different matter. I have read often where diet can reduce the amount and frequency of insulin but rarely will cure or reverse type 1.

I can't watch until later on, but it raised my eyebrows. Surely this must be about Type 2, where there's impairment of pancreatic beta cells. Type 1 is due to the actual destruction of these cells from non-lifestyle factors. Can't see how this can be reversed by eating raw or vegan.

I havent watched those yet Evo, but are they talking type 2? That is common to reverse with diet but type 1 is a different matter. I have read often where diet can reduce the amount and frequency of insulin but rarely will cure or reverse type 1.
both

Remove this Banner Ad

Back